Ivory Snail Dying? Help

1. Goldfishfreak

Goldfishfreak Valued Member Member

I have a ivory snail and a betta in a 10g planted tank. This is my first snail so I am very new to this.

I use ro water so I add Seachem Equilibrium.

My parameters are:
    Ammonia 0ppm
    Nitrite 0ppm
    Nitrate 0ppm
    Ph 7.6
    9-10gh
    3-4kh

I have had this snail for just under 3 months and he has been doing well.. At least that's what I thought.

I think I must be doing something wrong because when I first got him he was smaller very active, always hungry, and when he slept he did so by hanging into something and tucking his head into his shell. Now I have noticed he is not very active and does not eat alot and when he sleeps he doesn't hold onto anything and sits curled up with his foot half sticking out. I did some research on it and found out that it's a very bad thing, so I want to know what I did wrong.

I feed him shrimp pellets, algae wafers, blanched cucumbers and lettuce, and he gets whatever uneaten food and stuff from my live plants.

I do not feed him cuttlefish bone because I don't want to mess up my parameters and I thought that since the water wasn't acidic and the gh was higher that he would be ok. It did seem like he was doing well as he grew alot before this.

I am doing daily water changes right now because my betta is recovering from fin rot but I thought if anything he would be more active.

He is eating right now for the first time in 3 days. He has been in his breeder box since yesterday. He gets his algae wafers and shrimp pellets in there because other wise the Bettas makes a mess of them.

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me if I am doing anything wrong and what is wrong with him and how to fix it. If he is going to die that is fine I just want to know what to do better next time.

I have attached pictures the first one is him sitting properly and the second one is what he looks like right now as he's eating. He was sitting straight until he flipped himself like that. The third picture has a red line where the Shell growth fork me having him starts and before that is what he looked like when I got him.

Attached Files:

2. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

It seems as if you've done everything right, at least that I can think of.

Where'd you get him at? It's very, very possible that you bought him with a disease and it's finally catching up to him.

3. OP
    OP
    Goldfishfreak

Oh good I was so worried I did something wrong. I got him from PetSmart I have had success with only one in my area but all my fish are from there and they do well but it is possible.

Also I meant to ask what is a life span of a snail? Ive heard only a few years but I would like a definite answer

4. Lorekeeper

Apparently, 1-2 years is common with Ivory snails.

The issue really isn't your care, it's how they're bred, raised, shipped, and displayed at stores. Fish are done in a similar way, but most common fish handle bad conditions much better, at least IME, and even they still have issues quite often.

If you'd like to get another snail from Petsmart if this one doesn't make it, go for it, as you may have better luck with the next one. If you'd like to get one that might be of better quality and might have a better chance of living longer, I'd suggest ordering online, although that's going to be pretty expensive for just one snail!

5. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

I'd say old age. How old is he?

6. Lorekeeper

Oh, I just researched and apparently the lifespan of an ivory snail is usually 1-2 years. My bad, and I'll edit my post above. Old age is probably the issue, then.

7. OP
    OP
    Goldfishfreak

They said he probably wasn't much older than year when I got him

I wanted to get 4 originally but I was worried about them breeding and they don't sell nerites at that PetSmart.

I am going to be checking out a lfs I have never been to soon maybe they will have some nerites. I still may buy one ivory because I love their colouring

8. OP
    OP
    Goldfishfreak

Do you know if nerites live longer?

9. emmysjj

emmysjj Well Known Member Member

I’m pretty sure they live for 1-2 years.

10. Lorekeeper

I'm actually pretty sure that Nerites last a lot longer than most snails, at least in salt and brackish water. I'd imagine it's the same in fresh.

11. snailyfriends

snailyfriends Valued Member Member

if he doesn't make it and you get another snail, try to look for a small one not much bigger than a quarter. those are younger snails. sorry to hear that he's not doing well :(

12. OP
    OP
    Goldfishfreak

I will look into that

Edit Just did: it says that they can live up to 3 years and some have been recorded to be more.

13. OP
    OP
    Goldfishfreak

Thanks. I think he may be just old he was quite big when I got him I will try to get a smaller one next time

14. OP
    OP
    Goldfishfreak

Update:
    2 days after I posted this he climbed put if his breeder box (he used to do this after he was done eating when he was heathy) and ate some algea off my almond leaves and slept for the rest of the day. Now hes still living but I keeps thinking he's dead and so I pick him up and he pulls in his plate and sprays water at me. He's not really cleaning algea that much and not interested I'm cucumbers or lettuce anymore so I keep feeding him his pellets and wafers. He's not as active as he used to be so maybe it's just signs of old age not necessarily dying?

Idk I thought for sure he would die. But I'm happy he's still living!

15. KimAnnKitz

KimAnnKitz Valued Member Member

I order my snails online and they usually arrive a bit bigger than pea size and are adorable. They are probably a couple of months old + at that point. I have allowed some eggs to hatch and they start out almost microscopic! I had tons of them survive. To prevent having more snails simply remove the eggs from the tank. They will be a pinkish cluster of what looks like bubbles laid just above the water line. The cluster will harden as it sits and it is easily removed at that point. The warmer your aquarium the faster the snails will grow and "age". Long lived mystery snails probably live in cooler water as I am normally lucky to get more than a year from mine. I've had a few grow enormous ... around golf ball size!

16. OP
    OP
    Goldfishfreak

Wow that's huge!
    I only have a ten gallon so I probably won't be able to let any hatch I would just have to take them all out

17. KimAnnKitz

Mine was only a 16 gallon, but I wanted to see if they would actually hatch without babying them. I was going to start selling them or giving them away when that tank sprang a huge leak. Everything had to go into my other smaller tanks so I wasn't able to save many. It was a sad day...I just now got up the courage to retry a 16 gallon. I honestly don't have room in my place for a larger setup...maybe I could do a 20 gallon but I'd have to purchase a bigger stand and that's just not in the budget right now...

18. OP
    OP
    Goldfishfreak

Yah I get it. It can be hard buying things.
    I know I can keep up to 4 in the 10 gallon so maybe I will order them online once this one dies. Where do get them from?

19. KimAnnKitz

I get them on Amazon from Aquatic Arts. They are great at sending extras and pack them extremely well. Normally all mine arrive alive and then I have the extras to put in another tank. I now have 3 in my 5 gallon -which is 1 too many - but there's currently only 1 fully grown fish and 7 or 8 guppy fry in that tank, plus it's pretty heavily planted. Hope your snail perks up. I have one that's been floating for a couple of weeks but is still alive. I moved him into the larger aquarium earlier so I could see him better and catch it quickly if he does die. Don't want a decaying snail to foul up my 5 gallon and kill the fry! He hasn't grown as well as the other 3 so maybe he just wasn't a healthy snail to begin with or maybe it is from having too many in a 5 gal. I've had them 5 months.

20. Betta10522

Betta10522 Valued Member Member

You need to give a calcium source it will not mess up parameters, without a cuttle bone it's shell will become weak, if the shell cracks it can't fix without a scuttle bone, give a scuttle bone as soon as possible!