Ivory Mystery Snail Acting Drunk?

Platyarelife

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a heavily planted 5gallon shrimp tank with one ivory mystery snail. I've had Dumbo the snail for a few months now and only had the shrimp a few weeks. Last 3 or 4 days I noticed Dumbo acting like he's drunk. He used to sleep normally and now his sleeping upside down and sideways. Sometimes he's completely in his shell and sometimes he's only halfway. I noticed he doesn't eat algae and since I put the shrimp in there, the shrimp all jump on wafers or pellets I throw in there, pretty fast and there is almost nothing left by the time Dumbo gets there. Is it possible he's starving? I also have cuttlebone for Dumbo and the shrimp.
I also noticed since I got dumbo he falls off the glass a lot. I dunno if that's normal. My nerites don't act like that.

JtheFishMan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Maybe he is starving, I have a lot of shrimp with my snails but my snails get some of the pellets I drop in there additionally to the snails. Try to drop more, or Overfeed, so the snails get something to eat. My snails sleep like that too on the normal, some halfway out and on their side, but act quite normal when they wake up.

Ulu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Target feeding may help you. Overfeeding will not.

Stoka

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mystery snails do lots of odd stuff. Sometimes they won’t move for a day. They also like to “parachute” from high places to the bottom. For feeding, try microwaving in a little water for a minute a small hunk of zucchini until soft. Place in tank (I like to use wooden skewers to spear it to the bottom of the tank). Your snail should go nuts over it, mine do. They will push the shrimp out of the way to get it. Remove what’s left when they have eaten their fill or in a couple hours. Spinach, cucumbers, or kale also work well.

Iboughtmykidfish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mystery snails need protein! Fish food flakes work, and bottom feeder pellets, but frozen foods are great. Bloodworms are a favorite of my mysterys. Yes, algae and veggies are good for them, but they need a variety. The shrimp will eat the meaty foods as well, so you'll have an all around happy tank.

DakotAZ

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Would like to re-emphasize everything Iboughtmykidfish said!
I was underfeeding my snails until I realized that was the reason for some bazaar behavior and just about everything else that was going wrong...even a couple of deaths. I was also depending too heavily on algae for their nutrition. Now that I feed more and a VARIETY of better quality, higher protein foods, I have a very happy community. My Mystery Snails also love blood worms.
Just an Fyi. One other valuable thing I have learned. I bought a small acrylic shelf off of Amazon that has suction cups to attach it to the inside of my tank. When my mystery Snails are sick or too weak to crawl to the top for air, I put them on the shelf close to the water level so they don't have so far to go. If they are too weak to even get up on their foot, lay them spiral-side down and they will still be able to reach above the water with their siphon. There have been times when I have tried everything else and this will often help them come around.
Sorry! I'm just a little obsessive about my snails, and get really upset when they aren't doing well. Hope this helps!

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 66 67.3%

Top Bottom