I've only been feeding frozen brine shrimp

Oxide

I only feed my guippies and mollies once a day and they go crazy for it. If I added flake food, they will try to eat it and then spit it out, then try to eat it again.

I've been told it is wrong to only feed brine shrimp, yet I don't get any diseases.

I'm thinking the fish can graze on algae all day long. What they lack that they get in the wild is a constant supply of insects.

That's why I only feed frozen brine shrimp.

Revan

I only feed my guippies and mollies once a day and they go crazy for it. If I added flake food, they will try to eat it and then spit it out, then try to eat it again.

I've been told it is wrong to only feed brine shrimp, yet I don't get any diseases.

I'm thinking the fish can graze on algae all day long. What they lack that they get in the wild is a constant supply of insects.

For insects you could feed bug bite flakes instead of normal flakes. Not sure if that’s what you were referring to by flakes…

MacZ

Mollies and Guppies can tolerate a lot of salt, even live in saltwater. If the fish can forage in the tank I see no problem in feeding just Artemia. Maybe add some multivitamin to make sure no deficiencies show up that take time to develop.

You couldn't do that exactly that way with tetras for example. The salt from the brine shrimp would longterm be bad for the kidneys of true freshwater species. So frozen brine shrimp have to be rinsed thoroughly, at least most of the times.

Oxide

Funny that. My tetras and cardinals are thriving and getting fat.

JeremyW

I've been feeding frozen brine shrimp pretty regularly lately. The fish enjoy it, I enjoy watching them eat it, and they seem to color up nicely on it. Its a great food.

But variety is generally a good thing, and there is no single food that I would recommend anyone use exclusively over the long term.

The staple food that I feed daily is a mixture of flakes and slow sinking pellets from various brands. I seem to enjoy buying fish food for some reason so I always have a variety. I mix a bunch into a small container that I keep close at hand, and then freeze the surplus. I also like to feed frozen bloodworms. For my otos I will provide a steamed vegetable every so often. Yellow bell pepper seems to be their favorite. Some of the other fish will also pick away at the veggies, especially the platies.

Oxide

I'm in the train of thought that feeding brine shrimp once per day is enough and they can forage what they need on the algaes throughout the day.

I'm setting up an RO unit soon and will add the salt for crystal red shrimp so the TDS isn't too low.

AP1

Mollies and Guppies can tolerate a lot of salt, even live in saltwater. If the fish can forage in the tank I see no problem in feeding just Artemia. Maybe add some multivitamin to make sure no deficiencies show up that take time to develop.

You couldn't do that exactly that way with tetras for example. The salt from the brine shrimp would longterm be bad for the kidneys of true freshwater species. So frozen brine shrimp have to be rinsed thoroughly, at least most of the times.
Would you mind providing a bit more information about this? I have never read anything about needing to wash frozen brine shrimp (I feed frozen baby brine and I'm wondering how this is even possible--the cube disintegrates on contact with water); additionally, doesn't the act of 'disintegrating' upon placement in the tank achieve a sort of washing?

Oxide

At first, I wanted to wean them off frozens and just give them flake, but it seems cruel as I can see how much they crave the frozen brine shrimp.

The feeding frenzy tells me exactly what they want. They're not getting the zooplankton they would get in the wild in a closed aquarium.

Feeding only flake would probably lead to whitespot, which I've never experienced for several years.

JeremyW

I don't think there is any evidence that links ich to a diet of flake food.

Oxide

I would think one of the reasons for ich infestations is due to nutrient deficiencies.

MacZ

Funny that. My tetras and cardinals are thriving and getting fat.
There is no contradiction. The salt is often a long term problem to softwater fish, not something would see immediately or after a short time.

I would think one of the reasons ich infests in due to a nutrient deficiency.
The presence of Ichthyo parasites causes ich. Nutrient deficiencies only make it easier to happen.

Would you mind providing a bit more information about this? I have never read anything about needing to wash frozen brine shrimp (I feed frozen baby brine and I'm wondering how this is even possible--the cube disintegrates on contact with water); additionally, doesn't the act of 'disintegrating' upon placement in the tank achieve a sort of washing?
The water most frozen food is frozen in usually has high levels of waste products and brine shrimp are first taken out of the saltwater they were grown in and then frozen in a much less saline medium. Problem is, there is a lot of residual salt. Many species have no problem with this. But softwater fish can only tolerate a certain salinity.

When you put a cube in a tank and let it melt the salt is still in the tank. You simply don't want it in the tank with tetras or dwarf cichlids. Not wrong feeding them with it, but long term more variety is absolutely vital.
Mollies and Guppies are totally fine with it in contrast. So are Central American, Malawi and Tanganyika cichlids.

Funnily enough salt helps against ich.

JeremyW

I would think one of the reasons for ich infestations is due to nutrient deficiencies.

Healthy fish are always going to be less susceptible to disease of any kind. I agree.

But I'm not convinced that nutrient deficiencies would occur any more frequently when feeding an exclusive diet of high quality flake food vs an exclusive diet of frozen brine shrimp.

I wouldn't recommend an exclusive diet of anything. A variety of quality foods is the best bet for healthy fish IMHO.

MacZ

high quality flake food
High quality is the keyword. And applies to maybe 10% of what is offered on the market.

Revan

My food plan is usually feeding bloodworms, flakes, or brine shrimp, usually alternating between the three every three days (i. e. feed bug bite flakes on Monday, feed bloodworms on Thursday, then brine shrimp on Sunday) Although sometimes I get lazy and feed the flakes instead of bloodworms. I'm thinking of trying to tap train my two endlers with bug bite flakes...

TClare

I have always rinsed frozen brine shrimp before feeding. I don’t rinse the live newly hatched ones though, just strain them. I try to give a variety of different foods, it does depend on what I can get, supplies of particular makes come and go here.

kansas

How do you rinse your shrimp? If you use tap water, is there enough chlorine in the water to cause trouble?

MacZ

How do you rinse your shrimp? If you use tap water, is there enough chlorine in the water to cause trouble?
Tap is not chlorinated in my country except for certain rare occasions when the system got compromised. Hence I can feed the stuff suspended in some tap water.

TClare

Same here, our water is also not chlorinated, but you could use a little aquarium water to rinse them.

jmaldo

Straight in with frozen (after thawed) but freshly hatched get a "Tank" water rinse.

Good Luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mudminnow
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views