I've Never Seen Any Nitrite Levels But My Nitrates Are About 5.0?

1. BolognaBopper Member Member

I'm doing a fish-in cycle on my 55-gallon (only 2 Buenos Aries tetras left, started with 3 and 3 mollies), which I started on June 8. After pH levels altered a lot a couple weeks ago and killed some fish and possibly my bacteria, I added more TSS+ on Thursday 7/13.

See attached image of my water test. I've never seen my nitrite test show anything but baby blue, but now there are nitrate levels. Is that normal? Do I need to do a WC?

I know I shouldn't do a WC for at least a week after adding TSS+, so I'm just wondering if this can happen and whether or not I'm close to being cycled. This is going on 6 weeks of the process 23fda02c64f59208016334d678fa78ee.jpg
  2. Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

With TSS+ it is common 2 bypass nitrites. It looks like u r cycled!

3. grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

You have zero nitrates in your tap? Fill a jug with tap water then leave it 24 hours then test again just to be safe.
  4. BolognaBopper Member Member

This is the reading from my tank. I thought I'd see nitrites as a part of the cycle, but it seems to have just gone from ammonia to nitrates.

I did a test on my tap a few weeks ago after I let it sit out for 48hrs and it had 0

That's what I was hoping for by the end of the week, so I sure hope so! Do you think I let it ride until I meet the 7 day mark since adding the TSS+, or do a WC now? Just don't want to take out all the bacteria that went in - those bottles are expensive!

5. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I would continue to test for a few days to be sure, but it looks like you have a baby cycle going. Be very careful to add fish very slowly so you don't disrupt it. A fully mature cycle takes months and bottled cycles are notoriously fragile for a while. And yes, sometimes you don't see nitrites. Congrats and good luck!
  6. grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Thats good to have none. You must be cycled then i have 40pm in my tap haha.
  7. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I didn't see nitrites when I cycled with TSS+ either.

8. BolognaBopper Member Member

Great - that's what I'll do throughout the week. I've read a lot about how to stock slowly - good advice for newbies like me!
  9. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

If you only have 2 tetras in a 55g, I don't think they would produce enough ammonia to establish a good cycle. I'd add at least 4-5 more tetras to get a good bacteria colony going.

Also, how much was your pH fluctuating by?
  10. BolognaBopper Member Member

That's what I was thinking of doing as well... It was at 7.4 for a while, then dropped to 6.0, I added a little baking soda and it went up to 8.2, then I added crushed coral to the filter and it's been stable at 7.4 since.

11. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

It would be a good idea to get a KH/GH test kit to monitor those levels.
  12. BolognaBopper Member Member

Yup, I have one of those as well. I tested it last week and got a kh of 5 and gh of 7