I've Never Seen Any Nitrite Levels But My Nitrates Are About 5.0?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BolognaBopper, Jul 17, 2017.

1. BolognaBopperValued MemberMember

I'm doing a fish-in cycle on my 55-gallon (only 2 Buenos Aries tetras left, started with 3 and 3 mollies), which I started on June 8. After pH levels altered a lot a couple weeks ago and killed some fish and possibly my bacteria, I added more TSS+ on Thursday 7/13.

See attached image of my water test. I've never seen my nitrite test show anything but baby blue, but now there are nitrate levels. Is that normal? Do I need to do a WC?

I know I shouldn't do a WC for at least a week after adding TSS+, so I'm just wondering if this can happen and whether or not I'm close to being cycled. This is going on 6 weeks of the process 23fda02c64f59208016334d678fa78ee.jpg

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86Well Known MemberMember

With TSS+ it is common 2 bypass nitrites. It looks like u r cycled!

3. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

You have zero nitrates in your tap? Fill a jug with tap water then leave it 24 hours then test again just to be safe.

4. OP
    OP
    B

BolognaBopperValued MemberMember

This is the reading from my tank. I thought I'd see nitrites as a part of the cycle, but it seems to have just gone from ammonia to nitrates.

I did a test on my tap a few weeks ago after I let it sit out for 48hrs and it had 0

That's what I was hoping for by the end of the week, so I sure hope so! Do you think I let it ride until I meet the 7 day mark since adding the TSS+, or do a WC now? Just don't want to take out all the bacteria that went in - those bottles are expensive!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
  5. bopsalot

bopsalotWell Known MemberMember

I would continue to test for a few days to be sure, but it looks like you have a baby cycle going. Be very careful to add fish very slowly so you don't disrupt it. A fully mature cycle takes months and bottled cycles are notoriously fragile for a while. And yes, sometimes you don't see nitrites. Congrats and good luck!

6. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

Thats good to have none. You must be cycled then i have 40pm in my tap haha.

7. Piaelliott

PiaelliottWell Known MemberMember

I didn't see nitrites when I cycled with TSS+ either.

8. OP
    OP
    B

Great - that's what I'll do throughout the week. I've read a lot about how to stock slowly - good advice for newbies like me!

9. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

If you only have 2 tetras in a 55g, I don't think they would produce enough ammonia to establish a good cycle. I'd add at least 4-5 more tetras to get a good bacteria colony going.

Also, how much was your pH fluctuating by?

10. OP
    OP
    B

That's what I was thinking of doing as well... It was at 7.4 for a while, then dropped to 6.0, I added a little baking soda and it went up to 8.2, then I added crushed coral to the filter and it's been stable at 7.4 since.

11. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

It would be a good idea to get a KH/GH test kit to monitor those levels.

12. OP
    OP
    B

Yup, I have one of those as well. I tested it last week and got a kh of 5 and gh of 7

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice