I've Lost (literally) Lost A Fish

Lee Burton

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok.... So I go on holiday and leave my tank in the care of the in laws (who apparently used to keep tropical fish)

When I return 6 days later, my tank is massively over fed but that's another matter. There is a missing fish!!!

My German ram is absent! I did a complete clean, filters out, cichlid caves out, hoovered the gravel and still nowhere to be seen.

Now I know what you're thinking ... They flushed him right. They say nope. No fatalities in my absence.

My question is, could guppies, tetras, a platy and a couple of electric blue cichlids really strip a fish away to nothing in a few days?

Thank you!

Do0kski

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I guess they would, if they are really hungry. But you said they over fed the fish while you were gone so unlikely. I'm guessing he's still in the tank, maybe under some gravel or caught in a plant. Probably flushed, I wouldn't want to admit I killed a fish after all the hype how good I was at fish keeping.

Lee Burton

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I guess they would, if they are really hungry. But you said they over fed the fish while you were gone so unlikely. I'm guessing he's still in the tank, maybe under some gravel or caught in a plant. Probably flushed, I wouldn't want to admit I killed a fish after all the hype how good I was at fish keeping.
I've scouted every inch of the tank.... If he turns up he's houdini dead or alive!

!poogs!

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ram’s are pretty water finicky. I would say he likely is dead. Mature Electric blue for sure could make any of those fish disappear. Kind of surprised your blues haven dined on the rest of the fish tbh.

Did they feed them everyday?

Lacey D

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any possibility he jumped? And you did clean the filter thoroughly? Fish can end up in the darnedest places...

THRESHER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Have you checked outside the tank. Stuck to side of cabinet/wall/floor etc. Maybe he had enough of the foodnado and Bailed
Poor Jimmy. Dad was gone and he couldn't understand why dad left. Maybe he thought it was his fault and made the "leap of faith" out of the tank and onto the cold cold floor.

Jimmy the ram: Cause of death: Suicide.

Lee Burton

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Any possibility he jumped? And you did clean the filter thoroughly? Fish can end up in the darnedest places...
Completely stripped em down... :/ I have a complete lid.. #noescape We'll I thought so anyway! Until hoodini

THRESHER

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah I'm thinking it died and the in-laws felt guilty and sent him to Valhalla via the porcelain wishing well.

*Here's to Jimmy! Raises glass of cold beer*

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom