I've lost 6 Von Rios in 4 days, any ideas!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazer123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Von Rio Tetra - Tail Broken off!?

Hello,

I'm new to the forums but have been reading a variety of topics for a while. I have a new 75 gallon tank, cycled, and has had fish and plants in it for about a month now.

On my first trip to the LFS I got 6 black skirt tetras and 8 von rio tetras to get things started and they all seemed to be doing well. 3 days ago I went back to the LFS and picked up another 6 black skirts and 4 von rios, so the tank currently has 12 of each now. When feeding them earlier I noticed one of the newly bought von rios (the new ones have stripes as opposed to the others that didn't), was struggling near the bottom of the tank.

After looking closer it looks like its tail got broken off?! I'm not sure how this is possible? Stuck in filter maybe? Should I be concerned about the other fish? And will this little fish live?

I took the best picture I could get with my phone.
image.jpg

I did a 15% PWC 4 days ago, if that matters.
Water parameters as of this evening:

Temp 75
pH 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5-10ppm

Fish population:
12 black skirt tetras
12 von rio tetras

Plants:
4 anubias varieties
Bacopa
Crypt parva
Crypt wendtii red

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore.
I can't see it clearly but it does look like an injury to me.
As long as the whole fin hasn't gone & it isn't infected then with good clean water it should eventually regrow, if you have a spare tank I would move it to give him some time to start healing.

Lazer123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've lost 2 of them now and another is sick or hurt! Its only the Von Rios that seem affected. Yesterday another one had passed and was on the bottom of the tank. Then this morning this one is hurt too. I'm not sure what to do. Could it be neon tetra disease? Even though I have no neons I've heard it can affect other tetras.

Here's a picture of the one this morning.

image1-11.JPG

Any ideas?

Lazer123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm new to the forums, but have read many topics here and learned a lot. I got a 75 gallon tank in February, started the cycle, once it was completed, I added 6 black skirt and 8 von rio tetras in late March. All seemed well and they were happy. Last week I went back to the LFS I purchased the first ones from and got 6 more black skirts and 4 von rios. They were fine for 3 days, but I came downstairs to one von rio that had died. Then 2 more, then 2 more, and another today. I wrote the LFS, they said none of theirs are sick and suggested maybe its fin rot. I got Melafix and Pimafix and started dosing tonight after doing a 25% PWC yesterday. I'll attach the pictures I could get with my phone.

Tank parameters as of this evening using the API test kit:
Temp: 75F
pH: 7.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5-10

Plants: anubias, crypts, bacopa

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? Its only the von rios that are dying and I don't want to lose them all!

I also posted here but things have changed for the worse so I hope I can get some more suggestions?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Protim Sarkar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to fishlore!

SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. BUT I COULD SEE THAT THERE ARE NO TAIL FIN OF YOUR FISH IN THE SECOND PICTURE.

ARE THEY BEING ATTACKED ?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Threads have been merged so all the information is in one place

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They need an antibiotic.
Kanamycin
Maracyn-2
Terramycin

Lazer123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to fishlore!

SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. BUT I COULD SEE THAT THERE ARE NO TAIL FIN OF YOUR FISH IN THE SECOND PICTURE.

ARE THEY BEING ATTACKED ?
I don't know what could be attacking them, unless the black skirts are doing it? They all seem perfectly fine. Maybe I'm not seeing if they are attacking?

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
well, haha we all know i love terramycin....but aside from personal preference, I can tell you that they do not work well in hard water except the kanamycin.
It is best to admisnister thru feed if they are still eating.
You dont need to worry about the fungus, its secondary and will go away on its own once the bacteria is killed.
Kanamycin is more fast acting but easier to overdose.
Maracyn 2 (minocycline) is easier to find, new, and works well usually
Terramycin (oxytetracycline) and is/was used sucessfully to cure almost all bacterial problems in farm raised fish (and livestock) for the last 50 years.
Looks like you have the fast deadly columnaris, and it would respond best to quick strong doses of kanamycin, use the 2 level scoops to ten gallons but dont make it too strong (better yet mix with food yourself if you can get the dosing corect)
You can combine it with cheap walmart product called fungus cure safely if youd like (faster stronger and more broad spectrum to combine them both)

Lazer123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Will this disrupt my filter and bacteria? I've read some antibiotics will kill the cycle.

Also, any idea why its only affecting the orange guys? At least so far.

Protim Sarkar

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i don't know what could be attacking them, unless the black skirts are doing it? They all seem perfectly fine. Maybe i'm not seeing if they are attacking?
Hey lazer123,
I read mike's freshwater aquarium book and noticed that the black skirt tetra's are peaceful fish.
They are not aggressive fishes.

Last edited:

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Im gonna go out on a limb and say normal antibiotics like the ones i metioned, do not normally adversly affect biological filtration.

Lazer123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Im gonna go out on a limb and say normal antibiotics like the ones i metioned, do not normally adversly affect biological filtration.
I picked up some Kanaplex today at the LFS, they also suggested Polyguard and said I could dose both, and they believe it will fix the ones that are left. I started dosing tonight after another 25% PWC. The stuff gave my water a blueish tint but if it fixes them then its worth it for sure.

One you dose 2 times every 3 days. The other one you does ever 3 days for 2 weeks. I'll see how it goes!

Lazer123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The LFS told me that they generally are, but they can be one of the more biting of the tetra species if they feel threatened. She asked me to watch their schooling and that there might be 1-3 males that they think are the tank bosses. OR if one is trying to breed they will be aggressive to the von rios because they're a different type of tetra. She said if I discover some of them are attacking or tearing off fins (and then they're getting infections due to it), she would take them back from me. I guess I'll try to watch them as best I can over the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom