I've learned some really neat betta housing stuff.

Cambrianexplosion24

Hi guys! Now I'm definitely not the guy to ask because I am still by far an aquarium newbie and most of my "experience" comes from research as well as short lived tanks I had when I was a kid and from a few mildly successful attempts in my adult life within the last 9 years or so before I really, really got into it this year. (I'm only 27.) Besides, if this stuff is true, many of you probably already know but I still find it really interesting and would love to one day very slowly and carefully experiment with it.

Anyway, I've done a ton of research on this subject, talked to a lot of people and seen a few videos on it so I've basically been able to piece this experimental plan together based on the information I gathered from multiple sources. We all constantly hear that you shouldn't keep male bettas together and they should even be introduced to females with caution. We've also all had that one big mean female who has beaten up a male and would definitely intimidate other females. Anyway, apparently it is indeed possible to keep several male bettas together. For one thing I read that the aquarium strains bred for beauty have lost a lot of the aggression of the wild strains and those bred for fighting. Secondly fighting is apparently usually pretty mild and short lived, the two males will flare at each other, maybe wrestle a little bit and then when the "alpha fish" is determined they will back down and mind their own business and this short dominance fight sometimes repeats itself when they next meet. I've also heard the more males there are, the fewer targets can be singled out for bullying. So basically what I've been able to summarize is that to lessen territoriality and aggression you want to first of all have plenty of space for the males to occupy. You will want a large tank which one source even suggested as 25 gallons per male and lots and lots of hiding places, crevices, caves and cavities so they can all claim a preferred territory for themselves and escape to if they feel stressed. Finally I've heard that you want to have more females than males. Maybe 5 females per male. I saw someone on Youtube did this exact thing with the multiple females per male and they not only got along but reproduced naturally. What's your guys' take on all this? Even if it's rare, some people have definitely been able to do this successfully. With a lot of supervision at first I'd say it's worth a try. It would certainly make a very beautiful tank.

Cinabar

It’s certainly not impossible. After all nature doesn’t have any neatly divided aquariums. The reason it’s not recommended is that it’s not feasible for the average person. You need a massive, heavily planted tank, plus the time and resources to manage it all.

Upvote 0

Cambrianexplosion24

It’s certainly not impossible. After all nature doesn’t have any neatly divided aquariums. The reason it’s not recommended is that it’s not feasible for the average person. You need a massive, heavily planted tank, plus the time and resources to manage it all.

For sure! That is definitely true! Even if you just wanted 5 male bettas you'd probably need a 125 gallon tank at the very least and for that size and effort you might as well make an awesome cichlid tank or something! :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
EmberTetraPerson
  • Question
Replies
Views
ValkyrieLips
Replies
Views