I've learned how to use the freezer!

1. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Well, after having to throw out a lot of food from the freezer recently, I looked into things and it turns out I wasn't freezing the food properly. So, I'm happy to announce that at 31 years old, I've finally learned how to manage the freezer. Turns out there's more to it than just cramming everything in and closing the door :)

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Everyone clap slow for Jaysee :p

3. toosie Well Known Member Member

There is a lot of freezer mismanagement in the world these days. It's almost at epidemic proportions! At least in my house. ;) Do you put dates on any of the foods you freeze?

Hmmmm, now if we could only get you growing a garden...... Do you think your landlord would mind if you tilled up their entire back yard? hehehehe

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I forgot to get a sharpie to date the stuff... tomorrow.

Yes, the entire property is gravel :) I would like to get a topsy turvy tomato plant for the balcony

5. GemstonePony Well Known Member Member

Congratulations Jaysee! An excellent skill to have.. and you're considering *gasp* growing plants? Our evil plan is working!

6. toosie Well Known Member Member

It's a start! :D You could get one of those rectangle planters for the balcony and grow some radish and lettuce in it, or maybe a little spinach! Spinach you can freeze, lettuce... not so much.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning JaySee,

Along with the date, be sure to write what the item is on the package.

Are you DoomsDay Prepping? lol

Ken

8. Lupinus Member Member

*golf clap*

Well done.

Oh and the topsy turvy thing? Cheaper and better option is to cut a hole in the bottom of a five gallon bucket. Bonus points if its a five gallon with a lid.

9. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

hip hip hooray for Jaysee!!
    Does anyone get into canning... that's where its really at! I love going into the basement looking at all my cans and knowing that I have the means to survive a zombie apocalypse :;nin

10. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

oh............ my............. god.................

Remember that little conversation we had yesterday, you, time, new girlfriend...... yep, I'm sticking by that observation. :rolleyes:

11. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

And thus, another key element falls into place for The Big Picture!

12. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

The topsy turvy things are horrible. I tried a tomato one and a jalapeno one last year and because you put so many plants in it and stuff it with soil, it takes A LOT of water. Something cheap and easy and no maintenance is onions. You just get a bulb and put it in shallow if you want green onions, deep if you want the bulb.

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

hey, throwing out food is like burning money...

14. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Don't buy what you can't eat? Get a dog?

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I didn't throw out leftovers - I threw out fish (flounder, drum, striped bass [which is illegal to purchase]), steaks (strips, t-bones, ribeyes), pork loin, etc - things I didn't get a chance to eat yet.

And lyndaB - are you suggesting that managing food is a woman's job? ;)

16. lorabell Well Known Member Member

LOL...u should have cooked it all and invited EVERYONE!!!!!!

17. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, come one come all for the freezer burn barbeque!!

18. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Topsy turvy things don't work. Finally, biology info is useful! Plants use a variety of ethics to get nutrients, which require the plant to grow upright. The nutrients and water don't just "fall down" into the plants because it's upside down. Also, plants are phototropic, meaning they grow towards the light, and are anti-gravitropic, meaning they grow away from the direction that gravity points (which is down). So basically, the plant has to use more energy to turn its leaves around, energy that is not going towards growth or fruits.

At any rate, I like barbecues...

19. ploopy Member Member

I learned to put the oldest stuff in the baskets on the top and keep rotating it when I put more in.

20. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm coming to your house for dinner. Yummy. Steak please. So how did you learn to use the freezer anyway?