Help I've just spotted several baby fish-like critters in my newly cycled tank!

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Spring is definitely in the air at my place today in the Rio 240...

This morning I found a baby Rabbit Snail (I have 7 adults that arrived last Friday) and a baby Ramshorn Snail (yet I have no Ramshorn, just some Bladder Snails that came home with the plants).

In the last ten minutes I've spotted at least two baby Pearl Danios, they are so tiny!

The adults are in quarantine for at least the next 11 days (after outbreak of some fungal infection being treated with Protozin), so its just snails and real plants in the Rio.

My biggest immediate worry is food for these little guys...
Do they hatch with a mini fry sac to keep them going for a few days?
Will they feed on any algae overnight (until I can buy some liquid fry food) on my bogwood, plants and tank glass?

If my six adults have bred and I THINK there are four males and two females, how many fry am I likely to see? I believe the adults may have eaten quite a few of the spawned eggs, but the adults have been out of the Rio since Sunday and I believe the eggs hatch 3-4 days after spawning.

Any tips at all would be great, this was not something I was planning!

Morgan111

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
you need to feed fry soon after hatching I use baby brine shripm that I hatch from eggs

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmm, I have no access to fry food until after work at ~1430 BST. Hopefully there is enough tiny algae in the tank to keep them going until then...

Oh, the count is now up to five fry!

N0body Of The Goat

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks, I just hope they survive!

Brought home some Tetramin baby powder; frozen food; bloodworm in jelly sachets; sinking pellets and algae wafers (for Rabbit snails inc. baby).

LFS on my postal round could not offer me anything suitable to protect the fry from other fish (had plastic divider and plastic container with too large slots). Looking at the Seapets website, it does look as though ultra-fine meshed breeding nets are possible to buy, which I can use once the adults return from QT and then start adding new start after 2 week QT period?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom