I've got Mystery Snail babies on the way!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by NyeAngel, Jun 30, 2016.

1. N

NyeAngel Valued Member Member

I don't who the mama is but I suspect its my yellow snail, Quickly and the black one, Dash might be the papa. I saw him on top of her this morning again. Quickly is the biggest snail I've got so I figure its a she? i will let this first hatch...well hatch so if anyone is in need of mystery snails i might have some for the cost of shipping. @Bithimala, any suggestions? Any one have any suggestions for when the babies get here? Should I get a breeder's net? What should i do?

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.png

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. GoldenKillifish

GoldenKillifish Valued Member Member

I just had my first batch. They are two months old I believe and pea sized. The 14 of them just outgrew the plastic floating breeder and have free roam of 50 gal.
    I found the breeder to be very helpful to ensuring they got food and I got to watch them develop color. However a breeder with a larger batch won't last very long so if u have another cycled tank that ultimately would be best.
    BTW catching the little buggers is a pain until they get big enough you can lightly grabbed sides of shell (for me that current size ).

Also if you end up with true black babies I'd be interested. I bought some "blacks" who ended up being wild type brown with black stripes.

3. ystrout

ystrout Well Known Member Member

Ugh take mine... I got a snail infestation after buying some plants some time ago... It's a losing battle.

4. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Mystery Snails are a lot different than pest snails! For one thing the eggs are pink and laid in large masses above the water line. Very easy to spot and remove! Bladder and Ramshorn snails lay clear gelatinous egg masses that are hard to see even if you know what you're looking for and the hatchlings are minuscule. That's why they're so good at hitching a ride into tanks that don't want them;)

5. ystrout

ystrout Well Known Member Member

Ahh gotcha. Yaa I hate when the little baby things stick to the front of my tank and look disgusting.

Ive kind of just accepted that I'll never be able to get rid of them... Although I fell in love with my zebra Danio when he was swimming by, saw one of those baby snail growths on the wall, and tried to eat it. He clearly hates them as much as I do!

6. Bithimala

Bithimala Fishlore VIP Member

Just want to mention, you'll want to make sure it doesn't dry out (or get too wet), so using a spray bottle to mist it a few times a day, if it's not getting hit with any water where it's positioned, would be a good idea.

7. OP
    OP
    N

Its on the hood and the hood always has condesation on it. Is that enough? When do it put them in the breeder? Should I position the breeder under where they are now some they fall in? Or what? Do I feed them the Omega One veggies rounds as well?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  8. Aquaphobia

The one egg mass of mine that was on the hood ended up falling off into the water, probably didn't adhere as well because of the condensation. It's now floating on a styrofoam island and I need to get a mesh breeder if I can find one today. I'll likely end up removing all of the egg masses to the floating island when I do:)

9. GoldenKillifish

GoldenKillifish Valued Member Member

I found they had a hard time with hard foods. I tried canned no salt green beans and ended up breaking them open for them. I found they had easiest time with blanched collard greens. So soft leafy veggies.
    Here's the list of high calcium veggies I found.

10. OP
    OP
    N

Okies, I have some frozen spinach, I could thaw? Floating island? I am using the moist dome method. Floating island might accidentally float under the waterfall lol

11. Aquaphobia

I've found that the floating island actually tends to be pushed away from the waterfall rather than into it;)

12. OP
    OP
    N

I dont think they are going to hatch. Its been forever. Ugh! Maybe the more recent clutches will? Ive been spritzing them once a day.

13. Aquaphobia

How long is forever? LOL

14. Pringlethesnail

Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

My oldest one is at 11 days and I feel like it's been years. I'm so excited!

15. OP
    OP
    N

Tell me abt it. Ugh! I feel like Ive been spritzing for an eternity.

16. Pringlethesnail

Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Mine actually hatched a few days ago and I've had 3 one every day! Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice