I've got my Discus!

Sabi
HI there all fishlorians!

This morning I went and picked out the 2 discus i've been waiting for, for quite a while! One is bluish in color and the other a red.
I acclimatized them over a 2 hour period from a ph of 6.8 to a ph of 7.5. I was very worried at first as they were only hiding and not moving around but Kate reassured me that that was to be expected.
I'm so glad that they came out this evening, swam around the tank and went back their place behind the filter. But they've been coming out every now and again and the red one was picking at something on the anchor. I fed the tank frozen bloodworms, i'm not 100% sure, but I didn't see them eating it, I guess that's expecting too much.
I'll have pics up soon!

Allie
Congrats! I am jealous...I want discus too.

Martinismommy
Cool! I like those fish....Can't wait to see photo's!

capekate
.. yep.. I'm waiting for photos too! Congrats Sabi!

Butterfly
Congrats! I know you will love them.
Carol

Sabi
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you everyone! I'm really happy with them and they seem to be settling in nicely!
Congrats! I am jealous...I want discus too.
Hey, didn't you get yours? I think I read you were getting some, was it 4 or 8 for your discus tank?
And you guys will have to help me id their exact types, when I post the pics!

Sabi
Well, they come out now and then but seem to prefer being hidden. Also they don't seem "settled" yet, and I don't think they ate this morning either, but, maybe it was wishful thinking, they got more active when I put food in, and I put the food around them so that they can take it easily. What with all my hooligan fish darting at the food they should know it edible!
Anyway heres some pics, I had only the dI'm light on and they don't want to come to the front as yet...

135.jpg

136.jpg

137.jpg

slakey
Nice pictures.

I think the blue one is snakeskin and the red is red peacock?
This is off the top of my head from looking around few months-years back.

So not 100% sure if that's their correct ID's. I know hardly anything about Discus.

Have you tried them on any other type of livefood?
That may trigger the activeness, try and find out what the LFS you got them from gave for them to eat on a daily basis.

capekate
HI Sabi... great to see the photos! Is there any way to make them larger? Its hard to see the Discus. Hoping in a few days you will be able to get some clearer photos when you can take some with the light on. ;D
Your red looks like a snakeskin.. the blue, looks like a blue turquoise. They are beautiful... can't wait for more photos!
;D

angelfish220
I love discuses. That was what I wanted to 55 for, but I didnt want to kill a 50$ fish, so now I want angelfish. but my dream tank is a 300 gal discus tank.

Sabi
Alright, update: They pooped. Lol, by that I know that they definitely ate. I had to throw in so much food so that they could get it without the others gobbling it up before they could and at that too, they waited till it settled and then picked on it. The blues color still doesn't seem right but hopefully that will come right soon. I've been doing w/c on sat, sun skipped today as I had to go out and will do another 10% tomorrow to vacuum all the food that may be left over.
More pics soon!
Tnx

dee34
nice pics sabI ,I have 4 myself in a 50 gallon corner tank

Sabi
I love discuses. That was what I wanted to 55 for, but I didnt want to kill a 50$ fish, so now I want angelfish. but my dream tank is a 300 gal discus tank.
Oh angels are much more interesting and active than discus but they make up for that with their beauty, lol. Wish you luck with that dream 300gal!

nice pics sabI ,I have 4 myself in a 50 gallon corner tank
Do you have pics if them here on fshlore?

aquariumnewbie
Good luck on your new discus! I had them before some years ago. They are amazing fishes.

Narcicius
Cool.

Sabi
Thnx!

Kate heres some better pics, they are coming to the front of the tank now!

MissMTS
SabI they are beautiful! Congrats! What size tank do you have them in and what other fish are with them? They look healthy. I am glad to hear that they are doing well

capekate
HI Sabi
check out this link.. it has great pics of the different types of Discus. I think that you will be able to identify your Discus from this site.

Narcicius
those new pics are so much better. Those are beautiful fish. I hope I can properly care for some one day.

Sabi
HI Sabi
check out this link.. it has great pics of the different types of Discus. I think that you will be able to identify your Discus from this site.
Thanks Kate, for all your help. 'll look thru it now. They are now settled I think but are afraid of me!

Sabi
those new pics are so much better. Those are beautiful fish. I hope I can properly care for some one day.
Thanks. I'm sure you will!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Iboughtmykidfish
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mertgezer
Replies
Views
s15guppy