I've got fry!

0morrokh

Thought I'd share here...I made my family come see them but they're not quite as ecstatic as I am.

I've had Heterandria formosa ("least killifish"...but actually a livebearer) in a tank with black phantom tetras for a while now. Strange combination, but it works fine, both species ignore each other. However, the tetras must hunt down all the fry, cause I haven't seen any new ones in a long time. So finally I got around to setting up a little temporary tank and putting a pair in there (it was FUN catching one-inch fish out of a planted tank). This is my first time to actively raise fry, so I'm pretty excited, even though I've really done nothing. ;D

For my own future reference, the setup is a 7 gallon plastic container (I'm too cheap for actual tanks ;D) with five gallons of water in it. Heated to 75 F and took a mature sponge filter from the main tank. Plants are hornwort and java moss tied to rocks, and some duckweed. I put in a couple adult pond snails because I've found their behavior to be a good indicator of water quality.

I saw two little fry this evening. Very large for newborns, maybe almost a cm long. Clear with little stripes. It's so cute how they hunt little bugs around the sponge filter. <--kind of like that. I'll have some bbs ready for them tomorrow. The adults ignore the fry, I think they're probably too large for the adults to swallow.

Will post pics once picresize finishes resizing them.

Jayfeather9

Awww, congrats on the fry. I've bred platys accodently a few times before. I never moved them to a separate tank so my first time spawning platys I ended up with 20 adults and the parents, a few neons and some snails in a 20gallon! Prepare for the space needed by the young!!!

Butterfly

Congrats! I believe I heard their fry are kind of big when born so maybe their too big to be eaten

carol

0morrokh

Thanks guys!

Congrats! I believe I heard their fry are kind of big when born so maybe their too big to be eaten

carol

Yeah it looks like it. An adult female might be able to swallow one if she really wanted to...but mama doesn't seem interested.

I dumped in bbs until I saw a fry eating them. I think I could sit watching fry eat all day long. ;D Parents were more than happy to finish off the rest of the shrimp.

Pic of 2-3 day old fry with mama sneaking into the picture.

Attachments

• rsz_fry2.jpg
    rsz_fry2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 106

Lucy

Congratulations!

0morrokh

Thanks Lucy!

I now have three fry (I think). It's amazing how much they've grown in just a few days. I'm going away for a week, so I hope they all make it.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
Sputnik
  • Question
Replies
Views
Thiefbird
Replies
Views
mcfishface
  • Question
Replies
Views
kallililly1973

Random Great Thread!

Know of a great thread on Fishlore that should be on this list? Submit the thread link here:
Great threads on Fishlore

New Fish Breeding Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom