I've got fry! Platy

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yay I got platy fry, 7 and theres still more in the oven! Suprised they have lived this long as she had them last night in the main tank. I moved her and the fry into the breeder box because I knew she still had more in her. But she didn't have more right then and the box was tiny so I moved her out. It was such a pain to find the fry! I tore apart the whole tank! They are even tinier then I thought. They are already eating. Brianna

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LOL.. yea, they are so tiny and fast to find any hiding spot. she should have the rest of her fry within 3 days.

congrats on the new fry btw.

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats, that's awesome!

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Now i've got 8!
I'm sure quite a few of the ones born in the night were fast snacks! I noticed this morning that everyone looked satifyingly full.
Their eyes are much bigger than I imagined!
Brianna

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bbfeckawitts said:
Now i've got 8!
I'm sure quite a few of the ones born in the night were fast snacks! I noticed this morning that everyone looked satifyingly full.
Their eyes are much bigger than I imagined!
Brianna
lol.. yea, they seem to be born mostly eyes.

Patchspud

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well done - was it planned or just one of those things. I tend to breed mollies and platy's for fun but the easiest fish to breed (Guppies) I have little or no luck with!!!

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I have 1 male and 2 females. SO I am sure I will have more than enough fry for the whole family!
She was already pregnant when I got her so it will be iteresting to see what colors I get, momma is a gold twinbar.
I now have 10 fry and more still in her.
Brianna

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bbfeckawitts said:
Well I have 1 male and 2 females. SO I am sure I will have more than enough fry for the whole family!
She was already pregnant when I got her so it will be iteresting to see what colors I get, momma is a gold twinbar.
I now have 10 fry and more still in her.
Brianna
It shouldn't be too long until you can get an idea of their coloring, using a magnifying glass to get close. Daisy's fry starting showing their black bars in about 2 weeks or so.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've only got eight now >
Some escaped thru the slats that let in water. I put some pantyhose over it so now no more can escape. I can see a few black dots near the tail on some of them, looks like a twinbar or wag-tail platy.
Brianna

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
bbfeckawitts said:
I've only got eight now >
Some escaped thru the slats that let in water. I put some pantyhose over it so now no more can escape. I can see a few black dots near the tail on some of them, looks like a twinbar or wag-tail platy.
Brianna
oh.. i know the box now that you have.. yea, i've heard of them letting the babies out. (which was actually what sent us in the direction we went with the fry). i'm sorry you lost some but glad you already see some coloring.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Pictures, pictures, pictures! Let's have a look at these cuties. I tried to take pictures of my fry and you can hardly tell what it is, but am really curious about yours, if you can manage to get a decent shot.

bbfeckawitts

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I will try when they get a little bigger. All I get right now are blurs. They are just a week old and I can tell already they are all Twinbars. They are swimming around now though, very cute. They come right to the top to eat as well. Momma's second batch is already in the making. Not sure what I'll do with these platy fry! Probably have to sell them when they get 1" long.
Brianna

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
That's really cool. We also have a couple of brave ones who just swim around at the surface. The others just stay hidden nearly all the time. Verrrry cute. Here's my least blurry attempt at a picture. Check out those big eyes!

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
LOL.. they do seem to be born as mostly big eyes and then the rest of the body has to catch up.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom