Ive figured out what I want...are they compatable?

teddybear22482

Reaction score
Ive finally figured out what I want in my 29 gallon tank...African Cichlids! They are beautiful! There are 4 kinds I want, two of which I don't know the name of.... Red Empress, Orange Zebra, And the popular yellow one, Then the blue ones that look like they have turquoise irredescent lipstick on. I know that's very genrealized, but I saw them at a LFS and just gotta have em! I also want a teacup stingray in there. Ill have to upgrade their tank in a year or so , but that's OK! Its an excuse to buy more tanks!
I bought a 55 gallon from a lady yesterday who had a tenant move and leave it behind. I got it for $20!!!!
I'm doing my first saltwater tank with it (after we move). I want 2 clownfish, a bulb anemonie, a blue tang, and a dogface puffer and maybe some shrimp or snails. Ill have to upgrade that tank in a year or two, but like I said...hehehe...My hubby loves me! He's just glad to see my horses go!

Anyone know if all these fish are compatable???

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Cichlids and Stingray are not compatable. The Sting ray needs live food and a much bigger tank.

Carol

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
Your african cichlids are gonna be limited to being with other african cichlids, and also from the same lake. You normally don't mix mbuna with Tanganyika or those from lake Victoria. Go to a website that specializes in cichlids and look at the african cichlid profiles. They will also most likely eat the cardinals or neons, or they will terrorize them to death.

I agree with butterfly on the sting ray. They need absolutely perfect clean water all of the time, and should probably be in a species only tank. You need to research this. They are not cheap either!

Your saltwater tank will also take a lot of dedication and research. Saltwater is much more precise and you have much less room for error. It's also much more expensive than freshwater to get into. If you want some really colorful fish, have you looked at discus or rainbows? Discus are a little more challenging than your average fish, and the rainbows are usually pretty easy to keep. Not trying to sway you from saltwater, but you can get in way over your head in expenses and obligation before you know what happened.

I'm glad you are so psyched about the hobby. I love my tanks now as much as I did 3 years ago when I started in the hobby. They are very special to me!

OP
T

teddybear22482

Reaction score
The stingray was just an idea , I can live without it and I'm set on the cichlids...and the saltwater tank...Its a must for me...as far as dedication and expense...well I know all too well about that...I have horses...lol..theres everyday HARD work and MAJOR expense!!LOL

Gunnie

Well Known
Reaction score
teddybear22482 said:
The stingray was just an idea , I can live without it and I'm set on the cichlids...and the saltwater tank...Its a must for me...as far as dedication and expense...well I know all too well about that...I have horses...lol..theres everyday HARD work and MAJOR expense!!LOL
Sounds like you're up for the challenge!

BBBBWWWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

New Threads