I've Failed Twice At Resealing A Tank. Any Tips Before I Try A Third Time? Please Advise.

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by JenC, Apr 25, 2019.

1. JenCWell Known MemberMember

An empty 29g tank has been sitting untouched for many months because I'm discouraged by my two failed attempts. I understand the cleaning and taping process. My results have been unsatisfactory due to my lack of skill. (I'm also awful at caulking tile.)

The first time, I think I applied too much and worked too slowly; the silicone got gloopy and messy so I removed it. The second time, I tried to speed up but ended up with corner seams that seemed flimsy. In retrospect, the first attempt was probably fine and I could have trimmed the excess silicone that globbed over the tape.

I've watched videos, I've bought caulk smoothing tools, I've read that a finger or spoon is best. I simply don't know how to achieve a smooth and even, strong and aesthetically-pleasing result.

I'm probably overthinking it but I don't want the tank to fail and I don't want the seams to be unsightly.

If you've successfully resealed a tank and could offer any advice I'd be very grateful. Seriously - any tips would be welcome!

2. RavynnWell Known MemberMember

Have you tried using the tubes you squeeze or a caulking gun?

3. JenCWell Known MemberMember

I use a caulking gun...

4. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Clean all the edges, remove all the old silicone and clean up with rubbing alcohol. Then I simply squeezed out the silicone by hand, dipped my finger in rubbing alcohol and smooth the seams with a couple strokes. Add a good gob on all the corners, doing one side at a time.

I’ve resealed exactly ONE 10gal so I’m no expert but it’s being doing well for months now.

5. FishMommerValued MemberMember

There are also a bunch of videos on Youtube. Some even showing what NOT to do. ;)

6. JenCWell Known MemberMember

I know. I've watched so many my head spins. I'm just really bad at it apparently.:(

7. DanteCrosettoNew MemberMember

The King of DIY has a good video on youtube highlighting the easiest and most effective ways to reseal a leaking tank.

8. LoganKarlValued MemberMember

I have not done this on an aquarium but I have resealed the corners on glass shower enclosures many times and its basically the same thing.

This may not work for you but you can give it a try! What I found works well for me to get a nice clean looking finish is to cut the corner off of an old credit card or hotel room key card. Cut it to what ever size you want your bead of silicone to be. Then use some sand paper to clean up the sharp edges on the card and take out any burs that would cause streaks in the fresh silicone.

Next I would clean all the glass to be sealed from any old silicone using a razor blade and then alcohol to get it spotless. Then I find the widest painters tape I could get and put 2-3 strips wide on both sides of every corner that I want to seal and leaving the gap between the tape just a bit wider than the corner I cut from the credit card.

I would start filling in silicone at the floor. First I put the cut credit card in the corner and put a small bead of silicone right in front of it just to gauge how thick of a bead to lay down. After finishing the bottom I would then do the walls. After laying the bead I smooth out using the credit card, making sure to do one continuous stroke without stopping from bottom to top.

Once finished I would carefully pull the tape off. Any little touch ups would be smoothed out carefully with a wet finger or wait until it dries and trim with a razor blade.

I'm not the best at putting my thoughts into words so hopefully that all made sense! And don't be discouraged you'll get it!