Ive Decided To Make My 20 Long A Nano Tank

CatfishGuy
I'll just update people with separate threads instead of one long thread, anyways, what fish and how many should I have in it? I don't want to mess anything up by overstocking/ getting the wrong fish.

EbiAqua
Three words: Celestial Pearl Danios

You could keep up to 20 comfortably in a 20 long, possibly 30 in a species only setup.

They enjoy cooler water with plenty of live plant growth.

CatfishGuy
Three words: Celestial Pearl Danios

You could keep up to 20 comfortably in a 20 long, possibly 30 in a species only setup.

They enjoy cooler water with plenty of live plant growth.
That's a good idea! Think I could keep a pleco that grows maybe 6 in? Ive heard plecos give off more waste than they take in, but it would be cool keeping a clown, albino, bristlenose, etc.

KimberlyG
Shell dwellers.
(There has to be something that has caught your eye? Why not give us an idea of what you like and we will go from there. Aquatic Arts website has a section of nano fish under the store tab. Sometimes it helps to see pictures of different possibilities.)

EbiAqua
That's a good idea! Think I could keep a pleco that grows maybe 6 in? Ive heard plecos give off more waste than they take in, but it would be cool keeping a clown, albino, bristlenose, etc.

You could keep a bristlenose in a 20 long as long as your filtration, plant load, and weekly maintenance is on par. For a clown, you would need fish that also prefer water in the upper 70s to low 80s, which CPD are not very tolerant of. Instead of CPDs, rummynose or cardinal tetras would look nice if you wanted a warm water tank.

CatfishGuy
Shell dwellers.
(There has to be something that has caught your eye? Why not give us an idea of what you like and we will go from there. Aquatic Arts website has a section of nano fish under the store tab. Sometimes it helps to see pictures of different possibilities.)
Ill look around and find preferred fish, ive only looked into bigger fish I know I can't keep at the moment.

You could keep a bristlenose in a 20 long as long as your filtration, plant load, and weekly maintenance is on par. For a clown, you would need fish that also prefer water in the upper 70s to low 80s, which CPD are not very tolerant of. Instead of CPDs, rummynose or cardinal tetras would look nice if you wanted a warm water tank.
Ive always been eyeing bristlenoses, so would a decent size group of CPDs and a bristlenose be around max capacity?

Kameron
Get some chilI rasboras

EbiAqua
Ive always been eyeing bristlenoses, so would a decent size group of CPDs and a bristlenose be around max capacity?

Correct, though you could probably squeeze quite a few shrimp and snails in and still not overstock. Better filtration and a high plant load can extend your stocking capacity a bit more than if you had standard filtration and no/few plants.

Check out some of the color morphs and longfin varieties of Ancistrus (bristlenose) plecos, they come in all varieties!

CatfishGuy
Correct, though you could probably squeeze quite a few shrimp and snails in and still not overstock. Better filtration and a high plant load can extend your stocking capacity a bit more than if you had standard filtration and no/few plants.

Check out some of the color morphs and longfin varieties of Ancistrus (bristlenose) plecos, they come in all varieties!
the CPDs look pretty expensive for my price range, of course, they look super nice. Would it be better to just buy 6 and see if I could breed? Or would it be better to get a different type/species?

KimberlyG
the CPDs look pretty expensive for my price range, of course, they look super nice. Would it be better to just buy 6 and see if I could breed? Or would it be better to get a different type/species?
CPDs can be a little skiddish and delicate. I would do a species only tank with them if you like them (They are beautiful) You could probably do one BN pleco. More places are starting to get them in. You could look on aquabids as well. Just check sellers reviews first.

EbiAqua
You might like neon tetras or gold cloud minnows as well

CatfishGuy
You might like neon tetras or gold cloud minnows as well
Would it be better to buy all the neon tetras at once or to buy them like say, 5 every day for 4 days?

EbiAqua
Would it be better to buy all the neon tetras at once or to buy them like say, 5 every day for 4 days?
Buy 3-6 fish, wait at least a week (2 weeks would be better)

Make sure you're cycled first

KimberlyG
Fahn will reply to that, but PLEASE quarantine the neons for at least 6 weeks. Had to go to the guy at, I think PetSmart, (That Petsmart and PetCo are right next to each other) and tell him that the new shipment of neons they had floating in their tanks contained 3 fish which obviously had neon tetra disease. There were two dead in the bag that had been munched on but I couldn't tell by the corpses. Chances are, all those fish in that bag will have it. I LOVE neons but won't have them until the fish farms get this under control.

SegiDream
I've not found cpd to be particularly delicate, not like neons. Mine were skittish at first but lots of plants has helped tremendously. OP you can certainly get just a few and try breeding them, would get them from various sources/suppliers because you want to avoid inbreeding.

Cory & the Catz
sparkling gouramis and chilI raspboras is what I'm planning to do in my 20 hex, already have 7 sparkling gouramis and 4 amano shrimp. The gouramis are very cool to look at but do make a little noise when they get mad at eachother.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jakemac67
Replies
Views
Nikki2577
Replies
Views
andy305mia
Replies
Views