I've changed my mind on stocking. x)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by orangeclumsy1, Dec 15, 2012.

1. orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1 Valued Member Member

Well, I was previously planning on a 29 gallon tank with tons and tons and tons of RCS and then 8 neons, 6 harlequin rasboras, 6 panda cories, 1 mystery snail, and possibly a dwarf gourami. Well, I just wasn't really pleased with that so I've come up with something else....

I've had livebearers before, and I really enjoyed keeping them, so I believe I'm gonna go with those again. :) I'm planning on getting a divider for my tank and placing it to give my betta about 4 gallons and then leaving the rest for (to start)

- 3 platies (1 male, 2 female)
    - 3 guppies (1 male, 2 female)
    - 6 panda/dwarf cories (IF I can get my hands on some for a good price.)
    - 1 mystery snail (later on)
    - 20 or so RCS/orange pumpkin shrimp (IF I can find some.)

I'm planning on feeding some of the fry and baby shrimp to my betta, Steve, and then I'll probably give some to my local pet store (which I work at) for free. My friend also has 2 Angelfish that I can feed some fry to. Does this sound like an okay plan?

2. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Platies might eat shrimp?

3. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

I know they'll eat some, but they're not big enough to eat fully grown adult shrimp.

4. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!

You're plan sounds good :) just make sure the betta has enough swimming room. It sounds like what you're planning won't give him enough horizontal swimming room- maybe give him 6ish gallons.

5. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I measured it out on my 29, 4gals won't be good dimensions for a 29. I would do at the least 5-6. Unless you can make a corner divider, which would look awesome and be unique.

6. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

No no no, not on the 29 gallon, on a 20 long. Sorry, I meant to say it was going to be a 20 long. x)

7. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Any other opinions?

8. Gordinian

So are all of these going in a 20 gallon, or is the betta going into a 20 gallon and everybody else into a 29?

9. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

All in a 20 long, with the tank divided. The betta will have approximately 4 gallons, leaving the rest to the livebearers and shrimp.

10. Gordinian

I think it should work- I definitely wouldn't add any more fish to the list though. You may want to consider getting pygmy cories instead of pandas though. Any cory but the pygmy need at least a 20 gallon long for swimming space, and if you're tank's divided, they might feel a bit squished.

11. OP
    OP
    orangeclumsy1

Yeah I think I'll probably go with the pygmies, they're a LOT cheaper anyways. And does anyone know where I might be able to get some Orange Pumpkin Shrimp? I think they're absolutely striking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice