I've caught the pleco craze...

ZeldaNerd

Hello all! So I've posted a stocking question forum before....so sorry, I'm someone who doesn't have any fish keeper friends so I always turn to y'all for advice, thx for always answering my dumb and oblivious questions, I don't know what I would've done without Fishlore honestly!
But back to my new stocking ideas/ways of thinking (in quotation "question" lol)...
So I've been pretty set on my stocking for the past month or so, I've set up my tank and it's been cycling for a little less than a week so far....BUT, I've caught the pleco craze as you might've inferred from my title haha. I've always loved plecos, but have refrained myself from getting one with logic. But as I've been looking through the pleco page I've grown to really want one, they're soooo cute, I love their little faces!! There is nothing cuter than at my LFS than seeing those babies on the glass. But, the only tank I could have them in is my cycling 20 gallon long. This was the stocking I was considering:
- 1 honey gourami
- 1 peacock gudgeon in theory
- 7ish kuhli loaches
- 2 nerite snails (if I get bladder snails gone)
I was considering getting a school of 3 guppies, but decided against it in the end. I've been kinda confident in this stock, but I've been considering two species of plecos, either a clown or bristlenose pleco. With the clown pleco it seems more practical as it's smaller with less bioload (as I've researched, but correct me on any of this if I'm wrong), but it's super shy. I'm not looking for an algae eater, but I'll grow some on rocks in a window if need be, I just want an adorable fish. But bristlenoses are personable I've heard but have a HUGE bioload. But my tank is pretty well filtered with a HOB filter for 20 gallon (with bio-media, carbon, and a sponge inside it) and a 30 gallon sponge filter. It's also going to be pretty heavily planted once all my plants grow in (melon sword, hornwort, anabias, a grass thing I always forget the name of). It's going to be decorated with a lot of driftwood, rocks (in hides/formations), and terracotta hides as well, but they're soaking at the moment. It's semi-planted at the moment.
What's yall's opinion? Would you get a pleco? The only fish in my stocking list I wouldn't want to change would be the kuhli's. Thank you in advance for the help

BigManAquatics

How big a tank? And you should have at least 2 gudgeons, they do better in numbers, shy fish.

Upvote 0

ZeldaNerd

How big a tank? And you should have at least 2 gudgeons, they do better in numbers, shy fish.
20 gallon long, 30 x 12 x 12. And thank you for the advice!

Upvote 0

JtheFishMan

Hello all! So I've posted a stocking question forum before....so sorry, I'm someone who doesn't have any fish keeper friends so I always turn to y'all for advice, thx for always answering my dumb and oblivious questions, I don't know what I would've done without Fishlore honestly!
But back to my new stocking ideas/ways of thinking (in quotation "question" lol)...
So I've been pretty set on my stocking for the past month or so, I've set up my tank and it's been cycling for a little less than a week so far....BUT, I've caught the pleco craze as you might've inferred from my title haha. I've always loved plecos, but have refrained myself from getting one with logic. But as I've been looking through the pleco page I've grown to really want one, they're soooo cute, I love their little faces!! There is nothing cuter than at my LFS than seeing those babies on the glass. But, the only tank I could have them in is my cycling 20 gallon long. This was the stocking I was considering:
- 1 honey gourami
- 1 peacock gudgeon in theory
- 7ish kuhli loaches
- 2 nerite snails (if I get bladder snails gone)
I was considering getting a school of 3 guppies, but decided against it in the end. I've been kinda confident in this stock, but I've been considering two plecos, either a clown or bristlenose pleco. With the clown pleco it seems more practical as it's smaller with less bioload (as I've researched, but correct me on any of this if I'm wrong), but it's super shy. I'm not looking for an algae eater, but I'll grow some on rocks in a window if need be, I just want an adorable fish. But bristlenoses are personable I've heard but have a HUGE bioload. But my tank is pretty well filtered with a HOB filter for 20 gallon (with bio-media, carbon, and a sponge inside it) and a 30 gallon sponge filter. It's also going to be pretty heavily planted once all my plants grow in (melon sword, hornwort, anabias, a grass thing I always forget the name of). It's going to be decorated with a lot of driftwood, rocks (in hides/formations), and terracotta hides as well, but they're soaking at the moment. It's semi-planted at the moment.
What's yall's opinion? Would you get a pleco? The only fish in my stocking list I wouldn't want to change would be the kuhli's. Thank you in advance for the help
I would go with the clowns. My bristlenose has a huge bioload as you said. Cleaning the tank isn't a hassle, but it definitely does require some effort to get ALL of it. Trying to clean up all that waste with a heavily planted tank may be a hassle, but if you are willing to attempt it, go for it.

Also, consider your tank size. My pleco started about 1 1/2 inches. I put it in my 45 gallon in March 2020, and now it is about 6 inches, at least.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

20 gallon long, 30 x 12 x 12. And thank you for the advice!
I have 7 myself. Wanted 8-10, but the LFS only had 7 lol!!
As far as a pleco...maybe something small like a clown pleco. Some kind that only gets 3-4" or so in length.

Upvote 0

ZeldaNerd

I have been kinda if-y on the size. I've heard that 20 gallons is the minimum, but I might be pushing it and I wouldn't want to make it a bad environment for the fish so I won't if so. I'm just worried I would never see the clown, but I am a night owl so I might see it, I've just never had experience with owning plecos. And I'm so excited about the kuhlis!! They're so cute <3

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
2 3
Replies
Views
bermese2002
  • Question
60 Gallon Tank 60gal Cube Stocking
Replies
Views
Oliver T.