I've been seeing this rabbit for a while...

lbonini1

HI all, so a few months ago (Easter ironically) I saw this bunny at the entrance to an apartment complex at about 3am and this has been happening every single night and I think I can rule out that it's wild....

I feel bad it's just out there in danger of getting run over or eaten.... (I've seen Coyotes here)

What should I do? Should I call someone or just let him be...

heres a picture;
image.jpg

Ive been calling him Olaf and I think my family would kill me if I rescued this bunny considering MTS is a thing

Dadio

It's not a wild one that's for sure imo. Looks to be some sort of angora rabbit from what I can tell in the photo and are very lovable pellet droppers

aliray

Definitely someones pet at one time. Not a wild bunny. Maybe call animal control to see if they could trap him and find him a home. Alison

lbonini1

Okay so now I know he's not wild. The time in which I'm seeing him is concerning and when I went to visit the complex at 7pm (Mind you after rain) he was still there and all wet! My heart sank. ������

I want to rescue it but I don't just want to call AC, I can talk it out with the family as a temp arrangement...

Hmm. PS will update if he's there again tonight.

update: He was

smee82

Take him home and tell the family its too late youve already adopted him

lbonini1

Take him home and tell the family its too late youve already adopted him

I like the way you think. XD

Bijou88

You could foster him until you find him a home on craigslist. There might be animal rescue organizations in your area too, it's worth googling around to find out. Cute little bugger!

lbonini1

I'll think about it. I have a lot of dogs though (Beagles) specifically. I don't wanna say how many I have because then I'll seem like a crazy person but I assure you they're all well cared for and organized ☺️

aliray

The problem is that the bunny is not safe out there between, traffic, predators, and fact that it doesn't have survival skills also heaven only knows what it is eating. He really needs to be rescued by somebody . ASAP. Good luck. ... Alison

Bijou88

I agree, if you can't personally take it in I would call around town and see if there are places/people that will. He's probably not having a great life out there on his own. Our local humane society takes rabbits I know.

lbonini1

I have to plan it out. I'll update back when I have something thought up.

smee82

lbonini1 Beagles ive wanted one for ages now but I'm not sure how one would cope in china. Dont worry if any one thinks your crazy for having too many your not but you are crazy if you don't share pics of the beauties

lbonini1

@ Beagles ive wanted one for ages now but I'm not sure how one would cope in china. Dont worry if any one thinks your crazy for having too many your not but you are crazy if you don't share pics of the beauties

I would but they're never in the same room long enough!

Gena

I agree that that is not a wild rabbit. Looking at the elaborate coat pattern- that's the result of generations of selective breeding by humans.

Are there any rabbit rescue groups in your area? You could email them the picture and give them some info. The local humane society can get you in touch with a rabbit rescue if they don't personally take rabbits.

Once I rescued a duck but that was because the wildlife rescue in the area didn't have the volunteers to do it themselves. I got permission from the group to catch the duck and relocate it on their behalf. It was in my high school's student parking lot and a bunch of frats-in-training were abusing it.

lbonini1

No concrete plans yet but just in case. How should I catch Olaf and what do I do afterwards?

aliray

Have you tried getting close to the bunny? Try offering a carrot. Depending on how much it has been handled, you may be able to pick it up.

thefishdude277

Since your parents won't let you keep the rabbit, bring it to a vet and they will recommend places to give it
You can get a bowl of fresh fruits and veggies and lure it I guess O.O
Other users can give a more explained answer

Kaliska

Do not feed fruits and vegetables to a rabbit not adjusted to them. It can be a death sentence. What it's eating right now is probably perfectly healthy. High fiber, low water and sugar brush and grasses. That's hard to maintain the correct variety when you are collecting it yourself though. Put it on a good rabbit pellet. One that is plain without anything mixed in. Also hay. The petstores sell some hay but it's insanely expensive for the tiny bags. Long term feed store hay or hay ordered online in bulk (oxbowhay.com , kmshayloft.com) is cheaper despite the shipping. Introduce fruits and vegetables one at a time starting with small amounts and save fruit as more of a treat. Cranberries are great for treats because they are lower sugar than other fruits and they store well. I just leave a bag in the corner of the fridge and it will stay good for weeks aside from the odd squishy one you have to throw away.

You can use havahart cat or small wildlife traps and they are usually easy to get a loan from a vet or humane society but the banging door when it's set off is a bit stressful for animals so I like to try a quieter method first. If you get a regular rabbit cage and leave the door open with some hay, pellets or grain, and a little fresh food in there like a baby carrot it might just go right in and you can walk up and close the door. Sometimes they'll go in cages with inward swinging doors that close on their own after the rabbit is in so you can leave it sit if the rabbit won't let you near enough to trap it in a door you have to close yourself. I hate that style of cage for keeping my rabbits but the one I have comes in handy every now and then to catch something. Not all rabbits will understand such a cage and go in depending what it was raised in before running loose.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aquariumlover1357
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
nickbuilder09
Replies
Views