OP
ZeeZ

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not really.

I decided to do a cleanup and rearrange the tank as it was looking rather miserable and check just how many shrimp there were left.

One.

And it's not the pregnant one. It's a male but he was very transparent, almost white when I found him. I think he was under a lot of stress, possibly from the copper. I had thought they would be okay, but I guess not.

So I decided to do a 98% water change, using four gallons of RO water and the rest tap water that had been run for more than 3 minutes. I'm going to have to completely start over again. I'm going to try and find more than 10 this time around.

AmazonPassion

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That sucks, I know how it feels to have a die off in shrimp population. I had to start over with my Yellows with only 4 remaining from my original stock who were breeding like rabbits.

OP
ZeeZ

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah. Somehow this one last one is still hanging on but he's still very white. I don't know why he's not changing back to blue.

I just won an Aquabid auction for 50 Blue Pearls at a 25% discount and that price included shipping, so I jumped on it. Hopefully this will be it. I will be aggravated if FIFTY die. The color is pretty decent, from the photos.

My adult shrimp range in color from a medium blue to a pale icy blue. The shrimp shown below are typical of the adults. You will be shipped younger shrimp which will not have full color yet. I will not be trying to grade the shrimp, it's scoop & ship.

The color of an individual shrimp does vary by mood, surroundings and temperature. They seem to look best on a dark substrate, lots of plants, steady water parameters with somewhat cool conditions. They may not look blue when you receive them. Full color will not be reached until they are mature adults. Occasionally a shrimp will be very bright blue as a youngster but that is the exception.

Last edited:
OP
ZeeZ

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you. Unfortunately, that last shrimp didn't survive. It was constantly laying on its side and trying to eat but still moving. I think it was already impaired by the time the big water change was done. Who's to say? It never got its blue color back.

I finally got the new 50 shrimp today. I checked the parameters and they were all fine. 7.6 pH, 20 nitrates, which is a bit high but still safe. I need to get more RO water and do a change. They're all very healthy and robust, swimming around very quickly in the Kordon breather bag that they arrived in. They're acclimating right now. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that this time will be the charm...

I got two unexpected bonuses along with the shrimp. The seller included a small packet of some kind of shrimp food that I'd never seen before, which was very nice of her, and Cambodia. That's a plant I don't have yet.

Dlondon95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you don't mind me asking, what seller did you get them from?

I just got some BPS too and I was just wondering if we had the same strain.

OP
ZeeZ

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got them from Bannh. The seller's first name is Beth.

All of mine are juvies, so I'm going to have to wait a while before they can start breeding. Sigh. It seems like I'm forever waiting!

OP
ZeeZ

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Indeed, I do, but again, with a phone camera so quality is compromised, as always. I really need to get myself a new camera.

As you can see for yourself, the plants really didn't do well in the BPS's tank after the move. It's pitiful, really. The white stuff is two of the sinking sticks that came with the BPS. I thought it was something like an algae wafer since it smelled like that but it turned out looking more like what a shrimp pellet looks like dissolved. Next time I'm only putting in one. Two was too much.

OP
ZeeZ

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Turns out my Blue Tigers and RCS aren't the only ones pregnant. Two of my Blue Pearls are, even though they're not fully adult yet.

OP
ZeeZ

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Several of them have finally turned light blue. It's unbelievable how fast these guys reproduce! I counted between EIGHT and NINE pregnant BPS. o_O

I wish my OEBTs were this fast in reproducing.

OP
ZeeZ

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There are now shrimplets.

Literally about a hundred. o_O I even saw one that was so tiny that I originally thought it was a speck of debris but it was moving too fast and sticking to the glass and I had to get out the magnifying glass to see that it was actually a shrimplet. It must have been just been hatched hours ago.

This is great news... except I need to move them to the 20 Long gallon tank now that I sold the Blue Crayfish, Cherry Barbs and the Opaline Gourami and it's empty. There's no way I'll be able to catch every one of those little tiny shrimplets. I plan on adding the black sand from this 10g to the black sand in the 20 Long since it's the same sand as well as the plants. But the filter's pump has been weakening on the 20 Long and I know I have a spare one somewhere that I need to find and I want to attach this tank's sponge filter to the intake of the HOB filter. I'm not sure how, though, since the HOB's intake tube is thinner than the sponge's output tube. I'lll probably have to silicone them together and that takes 48 hours to cure.

I'm already thinking about what to do with this soon-to-be empty 10 gallon but the whole reason why I sold the 20 Long's inhabitants were to cut down on tanks... bad ZeeZ! Bad!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Weekly

Votes: 83 69.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 19 15.8%

Top Bottom