I've Been Keeping A Secret...

1. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

As the title says, I've been secretive... :;nin2

I started another tank. A ten gallon this time. The inhabitants? Well, that's the secret. First, let me start off by showing you guys how I set up my tank. Here's a video.

[video=youtube;IaKxpTqjX_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaKxpTqjX_8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Still no clue to the new inhabitants, right? Well, maybe this will give you a hint...

[​IMG]

Still unclear? Maybe this will help...

[​IMG]

Originally this was supposed to be just an easy breeding tank for these little guys, but it turned into something a little bit more than that...

[​IMG]

Any guesses as to what this plant is?

[​IMG]

2. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

:;patty "I'm looking over, a four-leaf clover, that I've overlooked before..."

They look like little clovers.

Other than that total guess, I've got no clue. But the tank looks cool, dude. hahahahaha.

3. I keep fish

I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Thanks zeez! I'm guessing that sunken duckweed

4. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

That is actually a great guess! But nope, this isn't duckweed. I don't know what would happen even if you found a way to keep duckweed down. It's so buoyant...

I'll let one more guess before I reveal what it is. ;)

The shrimp is Blue Pearl Shrimp. I don't see them often for sale on forums so I thought I'd breed them and offer them in addition to my wildly popular Red Cherry Shrimp which is exactly the same as BPS. Hopefully I'll be able to offer them for sale in a couple months.

I ordered them two weeks ago but I didn't want to tell you guys in case they went bad. The seller told me he found these guys in Mexico while he was on a trip. These actually seem to have great color compared to the washed out/faded BPS that I've been seeing for sale lately.

5. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Can you keep them with RCS, or would they interbreed? Would they make purple shrimp?

6. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

They would definitely interbreed, so it isn't recommended to keep them together. The same goes for Yellow Shrimp, which is what Daac on here has. I'm not sure, but I think Orange Shrimp is the same species as well. If you interbred those, all you would get would be brown shrimp.

7. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Someone needs to teach those shrimp an art lesson.

Good luck with them! Don't forget to post pictures now and then :)

8. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Nice looking tank! and great looking shrimp. Keep us up to date on the shrimp, you have me interested.

9. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

Will do, thanks everyone! Maybe I shouldn't say what the plant is and have a RAOK instead. :)

10. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

Yey! I lost all my Blue pearls last summer when the ac broke, I haven't replaced them yet because I was not impressed with what I have sen on aquabid lately, put me on the waiting list. :p

11. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

I knew I'd get interested people, but not this soon! :D You'll be one of the firsts to get them once they're ready! I wish they were already. They breed fast, but not fast enough for me!

I was also originally planning on putting my Mystery Snails into this tank, but then I realized with the ultra-sensitive mystery plant that was a pain to put in with long tweezers/tongs, the snails would just slide right over them and uproot them. I guess I could always put them in my RCS tank instead since that just has a bunch of guppy/najas grass.

12. Tigerlily

Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Cool tank... cool shrimp. I'd love to be on the list for some of those shrimp when you're ready to sell them, please.

13. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

Will do, Tiger!

I've been seeing a lot of molts just floating around the tank, especially by the Marimo moss ball. I'm not sure why they're choosing that to hold on to and shed their exoskeleton. Maybe it's because it has a lot of space around it to pop out into?

Either way, they've virtually disappeared into the plants. I see a juvie come crawling out around the base of the Vals and the Wisteria once in a while. It's said that once they molt, the females are ready for breeding, so hopefully they're getting their business on!

14. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

Several BPS have been coming out of hiding since molting. :) You can see green on their innards, which I think means they've been eating. No signs of any of them being berried yet, but them coming out is encouraging as they're getting settled in.

Here's a video of them! In the beginning, you can see their molts all over the tank but they aren't in focus. I've left the molts alone since the shrimp needs to eat them and regain lost nutrients. The white stuff around the Dwarf Chain Swords are the leftovers of a shrimp pellet. There's a brief argument between two shrimp in the video, which I think is funny. Check it out!

[video=youtube;BZt1wt9wej8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZt1wt9wej8&feature=youtu.be[/video]

15. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

Bump just because I can!

16. pirahnah3

great looking little guys!

17. Tigerlily

Tigerlily Well Known Member Member

Neat little critters!

18. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

My patience is finally starting to pay off! I see a SADDLE! :;th

Hopefully within the next month, I'll see babies. :)

19. pirahnah3

awesome man, looks like some new shrimps to hit the B/S/T area soon!

20. OP
    OP
    ZeeZ

Well... I lost quite a few of Blue Pearls in the move... I saw dead bodies right before I moved.

However, on the positive side, I see a BPS with eggs in her belly! I'm going to order more Blue Pearls next month to help give this tank a extra boost. A lot of the plants in this tank really did not do well. The ones that seem to have been the hardest hit are the Jungle Vals as only about three are left out of ten. I think it's the sponge filter that's been releasing too much CO2 for the plants to grow much at all. The Anacharis and Wisteria are thriving but the Vals, Dwarf Swords and the Hydrotcyctle are suffering badly...

The Zebra Danio fry that grew up in this tank is now large enough to be moved to the 29g community tank, I believe.