vickers8360

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi ive had a 165liter tank 4ft by 1ft for about 2 weeks now,
Ive currently got
1 red tailed black shark fish (female)
5 neon tetras
and 6 mollies ( i think one might be pregnant)!

ph level is 7.5 and both ammonia and nitrite tests came back 0 mg/l

all seems perfect for a starter lol temp is 27C im itching to put some more fish in and was thinking black/brown ghost fish (i think thats what there called) long ish things that can swim back haha can anyone reccommend some fish i can put in the tank please.
And also where can i got hold of a heater cover for the tank??

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

I highly recommend that you read up on the nitrogen cycle. It is the most important think to understand when keeping fish.

I would not add any additional fish until your tank fully cycled.

I believe you need a much larger tank for a knife fish. I believe that they get pretty large.

With your current fish, there is a pretty large assortment of fish that will get along with them. Pretty much any community fish should work out okay. You could probably put some Platy's or Cherry Barbs or any of the tetra species, or a Dwarf Gourami.

A basic stocking guideline would be 1" of adult size fish per gallon of water. (I'll leave it to you to do the metric conversion.)

Good luck!

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ken is probably going to come along and move this to the tank stocking thread...just be prepared for that.

First off, welcome to fishlore!
Second off, you've already got a few compatibility issues, and your plans make more. Your neon tetras are too small for the shark. I've been planning on doing neons and sharks, I got shot down. The shark may be nice now, while it's small, but when it gets bigger it's going to terrorize and possibly kill your neons.

At first, knifes may be small and lovable, but when they get bigger, the other fish may disappear. Especially the neons.

You could try gouramis, angels, platies, loaches, other types of tetras and a whole bunch of other things. Knives are really cool fish to have, but they should be kept alone. In a larger tank, as long as the neons have room to escape, they may have less trouble with the shark, but you may want to move some fish around if they start to get hurt.

OP
V

vickers8360

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks guys so basically any small fish around a shark fish wouldnt really work out?
(thanks mr salesman!!)
@jdhef i think the tank is fully cycled unless im missing something like i said im new the water is crystal clear and the ph, nitrite and ammonia tests came back stop on i think unless im missing any other tests?
and ben your right i didnt actually want the neon's but the saleman knows best ill poss look at giving them to someone i wouldnt want them to get eaten :)
If the knife fish does get to large i wouldnt keep it in the tank i have, i dont fancy a larger tank yet ill look at some smaller fish what would mix well with a shark fish that isnt too large? Im happy to take the neon's and mollies out to make space lol!
Also the tank im using wasnt brand new and apparently came with good bacteria, it was a mate who sold me the tank but he said it shouldnt really need to cycle, it may get foggy but will go away after a few hours which it did.

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Vickers and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

I hope you enjoy the site! We love photos!

Ken

OP
V

vickers8360

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good morning Vickers and Welcome to Fish Lore!

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.

I hope you enjoy the site! We love photos!

Ken
thanks aquarist48 and ill get some pics up when i got some more fish lol and the site seems very good lots of info and interesting things to read x

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome!! Try googling a freshwater compatibility chart. It will give you a very rough idea of what can and cannot be kept together. I think we have one here somewhere though. See what the chart says can go together and research the species that it says are compatible. Bear in mind that this is just a guide and you can always find people with experience of almost all the different stocking options to give you a first hand account of how the fish actually get on together as opposed to a faceless chart...

OP
V

vickers8360

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@Tigerfishy YOUR A STAR lol ive found a good site that tells me what i can put with what , not sure if i can post there link here dont want to get in trouble wooop thanks

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You shouldn't get in trouble, as long as the link is fish related...which it is, so go for it, I would like to see as well.
Knives have been known to grow to 2 feet long, and live 10+ years! So they are pretty big, and could easily suck down a molly or neon. It might have trouble with the shark, but Idk if they would get along all too well...

Also, do you have the exact numbers of your water tests? Or did somebody just tell you, "Everything is good!"
Your pH should be around 7.0 - 7.6.
Your ammonia should be 0.
Your nitrite should be 0.
And your nitrate should be 10, or anything under 10 but above 0. Even by a little bit.

BTW, called it! Ken moved the thread.
Somebody owes me money!

OP
V

vickers8360

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
here it is benjamin http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Compatibility/index.php maybe you guys can say how right there facts are haha
and my ph is 7.5 or if anything just below 7.4 its a liquid test and i got result via a colour chart ammonia and nitrite are both 0, i took water samples to the fish shop yesterday to double check i did it right and they said its spot on, they said if its still doin a cycle it would change by saturday otherwise they'll be fine selling me another fish or 2 lol
LOL@ KEN x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 67.9%

Top Bottom