It's true, plecos love their cucumbers! - Page 4

Butterfly

Cut it in half long ways or across in a slice, weight it down and feed it to your plecos. go back and look at some of the pics and you will see what I mean
Carol

Beeboy

Can you feed:

1. Lettuce
2. Corn
3. Potatoes
4. Asperagus
5. Pumkin
6. Banana
7. Apple
8. Grape
9. Carrot
10. Beet

I don't have a veggie clip, can I tie my vegetables to a rock with a bit of fishing line?

Beeboy

armadillo

It's really funny, I pretty much alwyas leave a fresh slice in my tanks, so they can snack between meals. And I always know when the pleco had anything to do with the demise of the cucumber: it's stripped clean. Completely. There's just this ominous ring left. It's really funny how thorough a job plecos do on it.

With my mollies, it takes way longer, and there's always at least bits of flesh left.
Butterfly said:
Cut it in half long ways or across in a slice, weight it down and feed it to your plecos. go back and look at some of the pics and you will see what I mean
Carol

Callum The Cat

on the topic of plecos and cucumber I put some i'n for my BN's and it floated how to I sink it down?

Peace Out Callum!

armadillo

You can either:
- parboil it: boil it in very little water. That's not worked so great for me (still floated)
- weight it down with a plant weight. they sell aquarium-safe metal clips used to hold plants down at most fish stores.
- weigh it down under something heavier like a decoration. That's not worked so good for me as it gets all mushy and leaves goo on the decoration.
- put it in a food clip. it's called veggie clip in fish stores I think. it's got a sucker pad on one end, and a plastic clip on the other. I just put my cucumber slice in the clip et voila! That's my fave method.

COBettaCouple

Re: It's true, plecos love their cucumbers... & it's not just plecos... or cucum

you could also hire a small child to stand there and hold it all day long.

gremlin

My pleco and two chinese algae eaters are out in my pond so I don't get to watch them eat too much. I have a couple of large flat rocks sitting on brick to make caves for them and my goldfish to swim in. The top of the rocks are about 1/4" to 3" below the surface so they grow LOTS of moss. My mom used to scrub them off every week or so. Last Sunday I told her not to scrub them and I put them down in the bottom of the pond. There was a good 1" of moss on a rock about 15" by 9". It was stripped clean the next morning. Looked like the rock had never had moss on it. I'll have to try the cucumber/squash thing too.

Callum The Cat

I decided to weight it under a rock and heres my BN sucking on it

Peace Out Callum!

COBettaCouple

Re: It's true, plecos love their cucumbers... & it's not just plecos... or cucum

great pics!

Callum The Cat

Beeboy said:
Can you feed:

1. Lettuce
I feed my fish lettuce my severums red horse face and my chromides love it within 5 mintues they've shreeded it and it give them some vegies which stops 'em eting plants

Peace Out Callum!

armadillo

I wish my fish ate lettuce. They don't seem to take to it.

COBettaCouple

armadillo said:
I wish my fish ate lettuce. They don't seem to take to it.
perhaps, it's not the kind of lettuce they like.. they have refined tastes, you know..

armadillo

Well, kidding aside, you might be right, Dave. What kind of lettuce do you give them, Callum? Like iceberg, or (don't know any lettuce names, lol)

P.S. My fish still don't like garlic.

Callum The Cat

I have no idea it might just be because they eat my plants so it gives them a substitute .

I didn't even no there was more than one type

Peace Out Callum!

COBettaCouple

yea, I was kidding, but you're right LA - there's a big difference between iceburg and romaine lettuce for our diets and our taste. perhaps they do prefer particular types of lettuce and another type would be accepted?

callum - is your lettuce light green or dark green?

neverendingninja

Here's a sample of what 12 hours in the tank gets you

And even with that little bit being all that's left, he's still chowing down!(excuse the finger print...that's what 16 month olds do to aquariums ;D)

armadillo

he he he. And another happy customer. The only sinister thing about that cucumber thing is that I wish my BN ate some algae, LOL.

COBettaCouple

very cool pics of your BN. he sure took care of that slice!

leximommy

Re: It's true: plecos love their cucumber!

Butterfly said:
Actually the plant weights are specified as "aquarium safe lead" don't know what makes it aquarium safe. I do use them in my aquarium but prefer food clips.
On another subject- duck hunters can no longer use lead shot to hunt ducks because if wounded the ducks can get lead poisioning and die. The lead may go in the water, fish swallow them and make them unsuitable for consumption. They have to use steel shot now. SOOOO my point being it must be a different kind of lead- what makes it different ?
Yeah sorry I'm rambling this morning
Carol
ok I don't know what's safe and what's not, but I just stick the veggie to the side of the tank above the water line then slide it down...it stays and the pleco will eventually find it....lol

Re: It's true: plecos love their cucumber!

Tom said:
Do your plecos just eat the seeds or the whole thing? Mine eat only the seeds and some of the stuff surrounding the seeds. Is this normal?
Tom
mine did also, but I took a toothpick and just ran it all over the flesh of the cucumber, so that it wasn't smooth, and it seemed to help....

armadillo

hI hI hi. Our fish are soooo incredibly spoilt!
leximommy said:
mine did also, but I took a toothpick and just ran it all over the flesh of the cucumber, so that it wasn't smooth, and it seemed to help....

COBettaCouple

armadillo said:
hI hI hi. Our fish are soooo incredibly spoilt!
yea, but isn't it such fun to spoil them? ;D ;D ;D

Jynx

How do you prepare the veggies or fruits, can you just slice a piece and put it in there? Other than the skins that you have to remove... for a cucumber, do you have to do anything other than wash it?

~Jynx

COBettaCouple

yea, you can cut a slice and put it in, weighed down or in a veggie clip. i'd peel it unless it's organic to reduce the risk of introducing foreign chemicals to the tank and your fish.

armadillo

Yeah, especially when they turn their noses up at you when you give them 'normal' food.
COBettaCouple said:
yea, but isn't it such fun to spoil them? ;D ;D ;D

COBettaCouple

to a Betta.. 'normal' food is what they feel like eating at the time.

armadillo said:
Yeah, especially when they turn their noses up at you when you give them 'normal' food.

armadillo

Here's some cool cucumber shots.

In the last one, there's a riot between two platys, two mollies, one shrimp and one pygmy cory for who'll get the best bit.

COBettaCouple

love those cucumber pics!

armadillo

Thanks, Dave. We aI'm to please, LOL.

armadillo

And another cucumber shot. This time two otos upside down.

And no, the shot is not upside down. The mollies were so brutal about eating the cucumber that they shifted it round and it ended up up from its veggie clip.

COBettaCouple

lol.. that sounds like the livebearer appetite we know & love..

armadillo said:
And another cucumber shot. This time two otos upside down.

And no, the shot is not upside down. The mollies were so brutal about eating the cucumber that they shifted it round and it ended up up from its veggie clip.

armadillo

And here's some more.

That cucumber skin is what's left if you leave it in overnight in the molly/oto tank.

COBettaCouple

They really cleaned that one up!

armadillo said:
And here's some more.

That cucumber skin is what's left if you leave it in overnight in the molly/oto tank.

Barbrella

My BNs like to eat the middle first.

armadillo

That's super cute, Barbrella!

Barbrella

Thanks! It's funny - I used to find plecos of any kind sort of gross, but now I think they're adorable!!

armadillo

Yep, me too. I could not bear to touch one. Nor could I touch a shrimp, come to think of it. Now I touch them all the time.

COBettaCouple

I think the more time we spend in fish keeping, the more we grow to appreciate the beauty that different kind of fish present. ;D

armadillo

And more cucumber shots.

The first one is my mollies and otos on a piece of cucumber.

The second one is my orange-spot (at least I think she is) pleco fighting for a spot on the cucumber with the mollies as usual.

CPVFD325

My Pleco loves the Cichlid pellets. He races my oscar and Jack to the surface to get em....then when he gets one in his mouth he floats to the bottom upside down because he is so focused on keeping that pellet in his mouth.....its quite funny...

armadillo

That sounds great! Would love to see a pic.

Sabi

Heres another, he got a cucumber after a long time!

armadillo

He is lovely!

COBettaCouple

That is a beautiful pleco! Can I have him?
Sabi said:
Heres another, he got a cucumber after a long time!

Trpimp147

wow this is an old thread

armadillo

Sign of success, Trpimp, sign of success. . Am tempted to remove the older chit chat so there's only cool fish 'n food pictures.

Trpimp147

hahaha good job this is one of the first post I posted on here I think and were I first met you talking about my plecos being so big.

Barbrella

I love this thread.

"No cuke is too big for ME!"

COBettaCouple

LOL.. love the ambition of that albino!

Sabi

Trpimp147 said:
wow this is an old thread
Yeah this was one of the first few places I posted too.

COBettaCouple said:
That is a beautiful pleco! Can I have him?
Thanks!
Lol, no not him but I can get you one as they go cheap but you'l have to send one of your :;z to fetch him!

COBettaCouple

:;ufo ok.
Sabi said:
Yeah this was one of the first few places I posted too.

Thanks!
Lol, no not him but I can get you one as they go cheap but you'l have to send one of your :;z to fetch him!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom