It's true, plecos love their cucumbers! - Page 3

Butterfly

Re: It's true: plecos love their cucumber!

Those are my babies that I raised from eggs
Carol

Butterfly

No can't buy them anywhere that I know of. I had the parents and they spawned. The female lays the eggs and the male takes care of the eggs which is the way it is with most plecs. They hatch in about three days and then go free swimming in about three more days so you see the incubation period would be too short to ship. Also there is a higher survival rate if dad is there to help them hatch
Carol

atmmachine816

I finally got mine eating, picture coming soon.............................

Butterfly

atmmachine said:
I finally got mine eating, picture coming soon.............................
YAY!!!!

armadillo

I guess otos like their cucumbers too (again)! Look at the state of that poor vegetable after spending the night with my (two!, you'd think it was an army of them) otos.

Bill

I've left some courgette (zucchini) in my tank for a day but my plec hasn't touched it yet. I think the surface area of the tank is so big, and he is so small, he might have a bit of trouble finding it

armadillo

HI Bill

I'll repeat what I've said to you in my other thread as this is more likely the place other people will look for that information. Here's my advice based on personal experience and conversation with other Fishorians.

- It may take a few attempts before the fish get that it's food. My personal experience is 3 to 4 times I think if I remember well.
- It is important to remove any uneaten vegetables (and any other type of food for that matter) no later than, say 24h after you've put it in. I sometimes leave it longer but I don't advise that you do. The risk with leaving the food for too long is that it will go off, risking an increase in nitrates
- They like it when it's more tender (i.e. not fresh out of the fridge). Mine like it after it's been in the water for 12 hours or so. You could also boil it in very little water, so as to soften it
- Don't forget to rinse it thoroughly before you put it in the tank (insecticides and other such substances)
- For fish that don't find the cucumber, I tend to cut a huuuuuuuge slice (i.e. along the whole length of the cucumber) so that the fish finds it easier.

Butterfly

armadillo said:
HI Bill

I'll repeat what I've said to you in my other thread as this is more likely the place other people will look for that information. Here's my advice based on personal experience and conversation with other Fishorians.

- It may take a few attempts before the fish get that it's food. My personal experience is 3 to 4 times I think if I remember well.
- It is important to remove any uneaten vegetables (and any other type of food for that matter) no later than, say 24h after you've put it in. I sometimes leave it longer but I don't advise that you do. The risk with leaving the food for too long is that it will go off, risking an increase in nitrates
- They like it when it's more tender (i.e. not fresh out of the fridge). Mine like it after it's been in the water for 12 hours or so. You could also boil it in very little water, so as to soften it
- Don't forget to rinse it thoroughly before you put it in the tank (insecticides and other such substances)
- For fish that don't find the cucumber, I tend to cut a huuuuuuuge slice (i.e. along the whole length of the cucumber) so that the fish finds it easier.
yep the same for zucchinI I tend to buy my vegies very small so there are less seeds also.
Carol

armadillo

Ooooh, small veggies for less seeds, clever.

I have to agree with an earlier comment about zucchinI seeds being really annoying and floating around everywhere. My mollies seem to love cucumber seeds, though and I don't have the prblem at all with cucumbers.

Another thought: zucchinI and cucumber will float. Some people parboil it to avoid that, but I've found that mine continued floating all the same. I've used plant weights, but I worry that the lead is poisonous, although it claims to be aquarium safe. I've weighed them down with my decorations, but pieces of softened vegetables would stay stuck to the ornament. Conclusion? I now have veggie clips that you stick to the side of the tank and I haven't looked back since!

Bonochick

My barbs and tetras usually play with the seeds until they get sucked up the filter. I took apart my filter last night to clean it and found many seeds!

armadillo

My filters don't seem to be very good. Each tank has 2 filters (unless they're tiny tanks), and I see particles floating around it, then by pass it... >

Trpimp147

my fish destroy my cucumber and zucchinI when its in there I put a full sized peice like 8 or 10" long and its about 1/4 inch thick, and the rhine is all that is left if I let it in there over night I have 2, 6" plecos and 9 african cichlids. and they still eat food if I feed it to them that morn.

armadillo

You're lucky. My fish look at zucchinI and go: mmmm, I like that bit, I don't like that bit *fish spits*. I like that bit. Oooooh, yeah. That bit over there. I don't like that. Oh nooo no no no no, I really don't like that *fish spits more*.

Until they've completely EXPLODED the zucchini's pieces that they don't like all over the tank. Rudos!

Trpimp147

well I don't feed my fish much to cut down on waste and feed them so they are always wanting food keeps them healthy I think, also gives me a chance to make sure I don't over feed them. also its easyer just to let in the tank for like 8 or 9 hours and they will just eat there hearts out, I think most of the eating is the plecos they are so large and eat a lot that's why I want algae to grow in my tank so I'm going to try that tank or jar out side thing!!!.

armadillo

yeah, that jar thing was a great idea!

atmmachine816

Here you go, you asked for them. Now this is my male pleco, not the female.

Butterfly

Shes a beauty!
carol

armadillo

Those are great pictures, ATM.

armadillo

Re: What other food to give my fish: alternatives

Here's our zebra oto in a courgette.

Bill

Haha great pics everyone!

Here is my baby bristlenose (female, I believe) eating some courgette - first time it was ignored, but I plonked this big bit in this morning and she went straight for it

13.jpg

armadillo

Thanks for posting it, Bill! I looooove picture galleries around the same theme. And your picture is fa-bu-lous! You always take such good pictures. I want your camera, mate!

armadillo

And that driftwood!
JI'm said:
somedays they won't sit still for 10 seconds, and then other days they surprise you..
This is Pete the Pleco and one of my oto's chowing down... lol

armadillo

Mine only eat the flesh and the seeds of the cucumber, not the skin.

armadillo

Re: Vary your fishies food: suggestions here

Am wondering if tomatoes would be bad for the fish? Anybody tried this?

Oh, and here's my mollies' menu:

OK, I have the world's most spoilt mollies. Here's a typical diet:

Staple:
- slow-sinking protein and vegetable pellets, served on the surface so they get to chase stuff
- Tetra menu flakes including increased growth stuff, colour enhancing stuff (red shrimp) and immune system boosting stuff
- sinking protein and vegetable pellets, served in mini-jars for the fry to get to

Treat:
- cucumber slice planted with protein pellets (treat). Served in their veggie clip
- zucchinI slice seeded (for the mess). Served in their veggie clips
- frozen bloodworms (thawed), treat. Served in their food basket to avoid too much of a mess
- spinach (treat). Served in their veggie clip
- mashed, peeled and crushed pea bits (weekly treat). Served in their food bowl or basket
- vitamin worm-like portion. Served in their food basket
- HikarI algae pills (they'd kill their mother, father, and first borns for a taste of the stuff). Served in their food bowls and basket

And... I wouldn't recommend it, but I've tried once for a spit second and yes, mollies WILL eat anything: digestive chocolate biscuit. I just let them peck at the chocolate surface for a split second and they seemed to like it. Please don't give them that to eat, though. Just a taste. Am convinced they'd get sick if they actually ate some.

Man they are entertaining fish. As soon as food is involved, it's each to their own. And they're so inventive in getting to the food! I love my little eating machines.

COBettaCouple

armadillo said:
Bonochick said:
Cute!
As a sidenote, I either just pierce a pea with my fingernail or with a paring knife...the skin comes right off then.
Am really the least practically-minded person in the northern hemisphere, so you'll have to bear with me here: so what happens once you're done pierced an opening in the pea? Do you just pull? Because if I was to attempt that, I'd just end up with all the flesh in a mess on my fingers. P.S. Am using tinned peas, not frozen. Maybe that's the difference?
yea, the frozen ones are easier to peel after a quick microwave thaw.

Cody

zucchinI also...and yeah it took more the one try but I also had my mollies pecking at it

armadillo

Check out my oto family (+ molly fry) on their zucchini! They looove the stuff.

COBettaCouple

armadillo said:
Check out my oto family (+ molly fry) on their zucchini! They looove the stuff.
lol.. makes me want to go get some otos.

Howeyg

do I need to vary it more than live and frozen daphnia and bloodworms

COBettaCouple

the more variety, the better.. just find the best food for your fish and make that their main food, then you can have the other foods as once or twice a week foods.

armadillo

Oh I love this thread. In all modesty! I really love watching pix of fish eating! In a blatant marketing attempt to save it from its dooming death, another name change! Anything to save this one.

COBettaCouple

Re: It's true, plecos love their cucumbers... & it's not just plecos... or cucum

you're changing your name laure-anne? hmmm.. ok.. how about Lauren-Nicole? :;a

armadillo

I'd prefer Lauralie-Belle if you dont' mind.

COBettaCouple

armadillo said:
I'd prefer Lauralie-Belle if you dont' mind.
Ok Lauren-Molly.

armadillo

Why you little!

COBettaCouple

armadillo

Oh Lacey-Amber! Excellent. We're joking around trying to find the naffest name for our future kids, and the worst was Pocahontas for a girl.

COBettaCouple

Re: It's true, plecos love their cucumbers... & it's not just plecos... or cucum

poke a what!?!? :

armadillo

And you're touched on the problem! Imagine the bullying at school.

Hey, check out your number of posts! Nearly 100000 you crazy man!

Mmmmm. I sure would like another picture of a fish eating something funny. hint hint hint. More pix, more pix, more pix!

Sabi

I just missed taking a shot of algy sucking marrow.

Trpimp147

hmms I seen that the other night almost 10000, and you still have the time to attend to you fish heheh

COBettaCouple

Trpimp147 said:
hmms I seen that the other night almost 10000, and you still have the time to attend to you fish heheh
my clone handles the fish.

Allie

Cute pix guys....this is one topic I cannot add a pix. My plecos are barely out.. :

armadillo

Pfff, you think you've got it bad. We bought a leopard pleco like 3 months ago, and we've seen him 3 times. not the hole of him either!

neverendingninja

Since getting my ottos and BN, I've been feeding cucumber and brocolli, and let me tell you guys, everyone loves it! My blue and bolivian rams, keyhole cichlid and guppies all get in on the action too, and then the corys clean up whatever ends up on the bottom!

Tonight I dropped in a few peas, and they were quickly and voraciously gobbled up.

I put in a 10" long, 1/2" thick slice of cucumber the other day, and within 5 hours, all but about a 1/4" ring near the peel was gone.

So, kudos to whoever came up with feeding cucumber, and other veggies for that matter!

armadillo

No idea who did, but I looooove trying new food on my fish! It's so much fun.

Allie

I heard that someplecos like green & yellow beans...canned, fresh or frozen. My apples snails devour them.

armadillo

Oh beans. Good ideas. I haven't tried that yet.

Butterfly

yep they like green beans also.
Carol

PPK9110

just a quick question: a cucumber like that, being uncut, how can pleco eat it? even mollies...do you chop it?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom