It's true, plecos love their cucumbers... & it's not just plecos... or cucumbers

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Re: It's true: plecos love their cucumber!

I've only done it with frozen, so I'm not sure.  :-\  With the frozen, once the skin is pierced, I just kind of gently smoosh it, and the pea comes out through the opening.  I always keep a bag of frozen peas for when I make tuna salad, so it's easy to just grab one from there when I need one.

*pause*

Don't tell my fish I eat tuna...!!!!

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

Ha! Didn't even see the irony until you pointed it out! ;D

ssh_condor

Reaction score

And there was me thinking that i could quite happily eat my fish, mind you they could be a little bigger.

I wasn't joking.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score

love the pics!! my guppies enjoy the cucumber as much as the bristlenoses! atm....my pair ignore each other most of the time too. how old are yours?
tan

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

You're scaring me! You're going to eat your pet fish? You'll need at least a common pleco to have any flesh on it, man.

ssh_condor

Reaction score

That would be why I have no intention of eating them. I shall have to stick to tinned fish, more is the pity.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score

ssh_condor said:
That would be why I have no intention of eating them.  I shall have to stick to tinned fish, more is the pity.
or battered haddock and chips ....

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score

I don't know about eating my fish, but back in the day when my oscar got to about a foot long I had people start asking if they could bring over a fishing pole and try and catch him!

oh, back to the cucumber... I got a plant weight and I'm going to try it tonight.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

Sorry about this, but I've just had a forum discussion with Lunyin and she says she doesn't use plant weights for the associated risk of lead poisoning.

I myself am not that concerned as I have seen no ill-effects so far, so I will continue doing it until I've found a plastic clip, but I thought you'd better have all sides of the argument before you do it.

ssh_condor

Reaction score

Hey for all I know it may not actually be lead, the chances are thats its an alloy anyway which would change the entire chemical characteristics of the metal. Who knows...

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

Yeah, am the same. I have no clue what those plant weights are made of (aside from metal, obviously).

ssh_condor

Reaction score

tan.b said:
ssh_condor said:
That would be why I have no intention of eating them.  I shall have to stick to tinned fish, more is the pity.
or battered haddock and chips ....
You know that it is much better for the fish stocks that we eat coley or pollock instead of cod and haddock. A consumer test found that people prefered the taste of coley and pollock to cod and haddock yet no body really eats it in the uk. Its such a shame knowing that the north sea cod stocks are almost crippled beyond repair yet nobody is really doing anything about changing it. I'll shut up now.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

That's really informative, thanks. I was wondering what fish were less low in stock, and which to steer clear of. If I start eating fish/meat again, I'd like to do so in an informed way. So thx for that, no shutting up required.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score

ssh_condor said:
You know that it is much better for the fish stocks that we eat coley or pollock instead of cod and haddock.  A consumer test found that people prefered the taste of coley and pollock to cod and haddock yet no body really eats it in the uk.  Its such a shame knowing that the north sea cod stocks are almost crippled beyond repair yet nobody is really doing anything about changing it.  I'll shut up now.
i do agree, but haddock and salmon are the most readily available here. any other fish are very hard to get hold of unless you travel to the coast to get it. i have eaten pollock in frozen ready meals, and it tastes much the same to me as cod and haddock, but i'm just not a fan of the ready meal thing....prefer to buy fresh fish and batter it myself (gluten and dairy free then so my son can eat it too ;D). i'll keep a look out though for alternatives! - btw, someone told me about "cod worms" years ago and put me off it back then before the stocks were publicised! dunno if they really exist or not though!

ssh_condor

Reaction score

I wouldn't worry about 'cod worms'. Salt water parasites dont tend to effect fresh water creatures ie humans. Its why you can eat pretty mush all ocean going fish raw but freshwater fish i'd advise cooking.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score

the thought of worms being there is enough to make me go eewwwwwwwwwww!!

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

So, anyone else out there with fun pictures of fish eating cucumber, peas, other cool stuff? I think it looks so funny.

atmmachine said:
Whatever is left on that clip LOL :...which I don't know what is I didn't take it out yet today and put another piece on it yet. It's really strange how my male comes out during the day and the female comes out during the night, so I never get pics of the female except I have her juvie one's. I'm still hoping they breed but it doesn't look like they like each other. I see if I can get a picture of him eating a piece of cucmber soon.
I heard juveniles came out day and night, and adults only night. No idea why yours aren't really following that pattern. Interesting, interesting...

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score

armadillo said:
I heard juveniles came out day and night, and adults only night. No idea why yours aren't really following that pattern. Interesting, interesting...
my eldest bn is nearly fully grown and they all (3 of them) come out at various times of the day. i vary my feeding times for them though (they get fed every other day at the mo at a completely random time!), so when ever i go by the tank they see it as a chance food just might be heading their way i think!! they darent go and hide in case they miss anything! besides, they are busy cleaning most of the time!

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score

somedays they won't sit still for 10 seconds, and then other days they surprise you..
This is Pete the Pleco and one of my oto's chowing down... lol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Nice pic Jim!
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom