It's true, plecos love their cucumbers... & it's not just plecos... or cucumbers

lolagurl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Re: It's true: plecos love their cucumber!

Butterfly said:
Courgettes is what I hear for zuchinni from my UK friends.
Lolagurl - thanks those are albino long fin bristlenose. Those are some of my fry grown up
Carol
how big do they get.. i dont even like the look of plecos that much..but i love those

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

Butterfly said:
Courgettes is what I hear for zuchinni from my UK friends.
Lolagurl - thanks those are albino long fin bristlenose. Those are some of my fry grown up
Carol
Oh. I wonder what you call aubergines, then. They're the same texture as zucchini inside, but have a rounder, shorter shape, and their skin is dark purple. Actually, we also call that colour aubergine, but I guess that won't help!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Eggplant? removed
Carol

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

Thaaat's the one. Am guessing it won't hurt them if zucchini doesn't?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

I don't know of any veggie or fruit that will hurt your fish. Some are little more messy than others , like the melons because of the water content. But it's well worth the clean - up to see them eat.
Carol

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

I read somewhere on this site to avoid acid fruit/veg. No idea what fruit/veg would be acid, but am sure cucumber is a pretty safe bet. Doesn't look very acid to me.

Jimold

Well Known Member
Reaction score

armadillo, Oranges and other citrus are very acidic

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

Yeah, OK, I guess that was a dumb question. I am kind of staying away from fruit altogether, but citrus is the obvious one, you're right. There's a great pix of watermelon scoffing action up there, but as I hate the stuff, they don't get it either!

I was more wondering what veg are not safe. I can't think of an acidic veg.

Oh, and I guess it's not only plecos. My mollies adore the stuff. Again, whoever posted that advice on the forum, thank you soooo much. You've made my fish very happy.

Butterfly said:
I don't know of any veggie or fruit that will hurt your fish. Some are little more messy than others , like the melons because of the water content. But it's well worth the clean - up to see them eat.
Carol
Hi Carol

What do you mean with messy? What happens then? Does it turn your water a little sweet? Does it just dissolve all over the tank? How do you clean it up?

Butterfly said:
How about Broccoli ?
Love the little clown fish clip on that picture of the plecos and the broccoli.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Do your plecos just eat the seeds or the whole thing? Mine eat only the seeds and some of the stuff surrounding the seeds. Is this normal?
Tom

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

Hi Tom. I've definitely noticed that in the morning after I've put the cucumber in the water, it's only the seed that's gone. But then when I leave it long enough (2 days), only the skin is left. And I've seen my small pleco join in with the rest of them long after the seeds have gone, so I guess he likes the flesh too.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

By the next morning everything but the the tiny bit in the clip is gone My Rhino shreds some fruits then when he's done I just do a small vacuum to get the left overs out.
Carol

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

I've just looked, and even the skin is gone this morning! (cucumber)

Oooops. Nevermind. My boyfriend's just found the skin. It was floating under our plant leaves.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Here's the best picture I can get so far, but he's pretty much eaten it all, he likes the clip.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

So cute ATM, must still be goodies hiding in the clip
Carol

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

atmmachine said:
Here's the best picture I can get so far, but he's pretty much eaten it all, he likes the clip.
What's he eating?

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Whatever is left on that clip LOL :...which I don't know what is I didn't take it out yet today and put another piece on it yet. It's really strange how my male comes out during the day and the female comes out during the night, so I never get pics of the female except I have her juvie one's. I'm still hoping they breed but it doesn't look like they like each other. I see if I can get a picture of him eating a piece of cucmber soon.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

At least you know which is male and which is female. You've got one over me.

We have a tiny pleco, and he comes out ALL the time. The other two plecos are a lot shyer, and only come out at night.

I tried peas, I tried peas!!! It's the funniest thing . I figured I wouldn't peel them as I couldn't really think of how. So I just plomped some in. They were behaving like seals! They propped the peas on their noses. Reallly funny. In the end, they managed to break the skin and had a right fest.

If I had a video camera I would definitely u-tube it. Sooo funny.

Bonochick

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Cute!

As a sidenote, I either just pierce a pea with my fingernail or with a paring knife...the skin comes right off then.

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

This is all SO lovely and cute!!

I have a question and its going to sound really dumb, but its true anyway...
I've tried giving my pleco vegies, but the problem is, he doesn't seem to know its for him. And if i bring it to him, he swims or moves away from me! how do i get his attention to the veg or or make him understand its for him?
Actually i've never seen him eat anything apart from algea!

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score

Sab said:
This is all SO lovely and cute!!

I have a question and its going to sound really dumb, but its true anyway...
I've tried giving my pleco vegies, but the problem is, he doesn't seem to know its for him. And if i bring it to him, he swims or moves away from me! how do i get his attention to the veg or or make him understand its for him?
Actually i've never seen him eat anything apart from algea!
Mine were not so quick on the uptake either, actually. First time round, I left the cucumber overnight and they ignored it. Then I tried again and for some reason they got it then.

Bonochick said:
Cute!

As a sidenote, I either just pierce a pea with my fingernail or with a paring knife...the skin comes right off then.
Am really the least practically-minded person in the northern hemisphere, so you'll have to bear with me here: so what happens once you're done pierced an opening in the pea? Do you just pull? Because if I was to attempt that, I'd just end up with all the flesh in a mess on my fingers. P.S. Am using tinned peas, not frozen. Maybe that's the difference?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom