It's true, plecos love their cucumbers... & it's not just plecos... or cucumbers

AggieYen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, Laure Anne, I adore your zebra otos. I didn't even know otos came in different varieties. It's hard enough finding otos here in Australia, much less zebra ones. They are SO cute!!!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
dtaylor85 said:
So now that many of the fish in my tank seem to really like the cucumbers, how much is too much??? Should the cucumbers be a part of my daily feeding routine, or should I be saving it as a kind of a treat???
Plecs that are of the vegetarian variety(algae eaters) their diet needs to be 90/10 vegetable matter/protein. Unless you are trying to breed them then its 80/20.
Carol

plecomaniac

Reaction score
Man i havent seen my 2" pleco eat a thing, ecept for something on my live plants, when will he eat the cucumber? Is he too small?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No he's not too small. Plecs start eating fresh vegetables when their 1/4 inch long. Did you put it in after you turned the lights off as suggested? It may take a little while for him to learn that its food but don't leave the same piece of veg. in there over 24 hrs.
Carol

plecomaniac

Reaction score
Oh ok ill try that, since i ran out of cucumber, do'ya think he will eat lettuce? THanks For the Help

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
plecomaniac said:
Oh ok ill try that, since i ran out of cucumber, do'ya think he will eat lettuce? THanks For the Help
He might never can tell. Remember to rinse it off
Carol

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe i missed it,but what type of pleco is he?

lalynya

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I tried this one and at first no interest but then the next day my common pleco who NEVER comes out when there is light on looked like he was gopin crazy looking for something..I was a little suspicious so befor I went to bed I put som cucumber in the tank I woke up and there was only a small rim left....

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Oh, how coooool! I am really glad for you. It's great when they finally take interest, isn't it? Sounds like he certainly has had a FEAST on that cucumber.

lalynya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah sadly this weekend I took him to the LFS...tank was overcrowded and I allready had another pleco in there so before he got even bigger i took him in..and I allmost embaressed myself by crying in the store while doing it..It's all for the good of the fish

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It was a hard thing to do, but you've given him the chance for a big tank to live in and it was the best thing you could do for him.

lalynya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know plus the LFS that he is at will take great care of him I am sure...so anyway back to cucumbers..I've been using them to try and get rid of teh mystery snail in my hospital tank but It doesn't matter how many i get rid of they keep coming back...and why they are all over the hospital tank and not my regular..no idea

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
lalynya said:
Yeah I know plus the LFS that he is at will take great care of him I am sure...so anyway back to cucumbers..I've been using them to try and get rid of teh mystery snail in my hospital tank but It doesn't matter how many i get rid of they keep coming back...and why they are all over the hospital tank and not my regular..no idea
Snails! > they are taking over my main tank! You could try with lettuce, but theres always more in the tank, to my experience.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom