It's true, plecos love their cucumbers... & it's not just plecos... or cucumbers

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Barbrella, that is one of the greatest cucumber shots off our whole collection!
Barbrella said:
I love this thread.

"No cuke is too big for ME!"
How time flies! Glad you're still with us!
Trpimp147 said:
hahaha good job this is one of the first post I posted on here I think and were I first met you talking about my plecos being so big.

Barbrella

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you. It was a very lucky shot.

My other ancistrus thinks maybe a cuke tastes better if you eat it upside down.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
That's a great shot too!
Barbrella said:
Thank you. It was a very lucky shot.

My other ancistrus thinks maybe a cuke tastes better if you eat it upside down.

Trpimp147

Valued Member
Reaction score
woohoo yea I can't get any pics of my plecos eating they are always hiding. I haven't fed any of my fish cucumber in for ever I don't get to the store much.

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Here's some more pix of fish eating veggies:

Dwarf loach on zucchini
Oto (zebra) on carrot
Oto (zebra) on cucumber
Dwarf loach on carrot
Dwarf loach on carrot

And a couple more...

Dwarf loach and oto on courgette (zucchini)
Oto on courgette (zucchini)
Zebra oto on carrot
Pleco and oto on courgette (zucchini)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I love the pics of those Dwarf Loaches!

dtaylor85

Reaction score
Has anyone tried giving cucumbers to clowns???

Loached I mean... not the circus variety.

Morph

Valued Member
Reaction score
my pleco's love cucumber's but you have to make sure you get all the seeds out of the tank. messy stuff cucumbers are.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
dtaylor85 said:
Loached I mean... not the circus variety.
My Clowns used to harass the Rhino Plec when he was eating zucchinI but they would absolutely hog a piece of melon
Carol

Drea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Morph said:
my pleco's love cucumber's but you have to make sure you get all the seeds out of the tank. messy stuff cucumbers are.
I get the seeds out before it goes in. We don't eat cukes ourselves, so when we go out the restaurants will always give me lots of nicely sliced...which goes in the freezer, till gone.

Barbrella

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Armadillo, I see your otos eat carrots? Does anyone have plecos who eat them? Mine won't.

Here's my little albino taking a "cuke break". It didn't last long and he was soon eating again.

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi!

I always cook mine in the microwave for 30 seconds beforehand. It makes them softer for my fishies! I'm still training Crispy my BN that cuccumber is food. Lol...

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Barbrella. Your pix are so funny! It's more like taking a cute break!

They've taken to it straight away. I tried it and was lucky, I guess. Took them way longer to work out the cucumber.

Do you cut your carrots lenghtways, so that they have access to the 'flesh' side? Maybe the tough skin puts them off?
Barbrella said:
Armadillo, I see your otos eat carrots? Does anyone have plecos who eat them? Mine won't.

Here's my little albino taking a "cuke break". It didn't last long and he was soon eating again.

Narcicius

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
ZuchinnI all the way, its basically chocolate for a pleco, or some other form of delicious candy.

dtaylor85

Reaction score
Okay, so this is really cool! I tried the cucumber for the first time last night, and I didn't expect any results as I have read many people saying their first try was less than successful, but within 2 hours the slice disappeared! I do think I have a slight advantage though: I have a very curious flying fox who will try to eat anything that ends up in the tank, and he tool to the cucumber very quickly (not that he took very large bites). I was enjoying watching him, but I had to go to wash some dishes. I came back 15 minutes later, and found nothing but the plant weight, the outer rI'm of the cucumber, and a yoyo loach gnawing away. I think the plecos got to it too, as they were right there, but I'm not sure. Anyway... Fun stuff! Thank you to the person who decided to start this thread. I will try to get some pictures later on.

Barbrella

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Do you cut your carrots lenghtways, so that they have access to the 'flesh' side?
Yes, I did. I also softened them a tiny bit in the microwave. My plecos did go to the carrots, but left - I presume in disgust. Maybe I'll try again.

I like to stuff peas and algae wafers in the zucchinI to give them more nutrition. I have to do that at lights out, or my incredibly greedy barbs take everything.

It's more like taking a cute break!
Yes! I love my little yellow pleco!

Blub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi!

I also feed peas to all my fish. I heard it's supposed to help prevent Constipation and Swim-bladder!

finmama

Valued Member
Reaction score
Very cool pics! I feed peas to my Mollies but my pleco doesn't seem interested in them....I will have to try cucumber!!

dtaylor85

Reaction score
So now that many of the fish in my tank seem to really like the cucumbers, how much is too much??? Should the cucumbers be a part of my daily feeding routine, or should I be saving it as a kind of a treat???

armadillo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
HI David

As a rule, non-processed is better than processed, so if anything, it's processed food that should be a treat only. Of course, you have to take food groups into account. For vegetarian fish, I just stick a whole slice of cucumber overnight and there's only the rind left in the morning. For carnivorous fish, I use thawed bloodworms or bug's larvae. For omnivorous fish, I always leave a slice of cucumber + some processed flakes.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads