It's official... I have MTS

1. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

I started cycling a 10 gallon tank a a few months ago, and just left it going, feeding it fish food not really knowing what I was going to do with it. Well I put together an idea over the past few days. Since I hadn't done any water changes or anything on it, it was full of diatoms. So I gave everything a good scrub, sucked out all the piles of nasty food, replaced all the water, added black gravel substrate, got some driftwood, took an axe to it because it was a bit too big (and now have 3 pieces of driftwood! yay!) and got to planting. I have a grown up java fern and some little java fernlets, a tiny anubias coffeefolia, and some bulbs from one of the packs at Petco (Thanks for the inspiration Akari!) As I just have a standard aquarium light, I fear it may not be enough. (Maybe a T8 tube if things don't work out?)

Then, the residents. I decided on a betta and 3 ghost shrimp (all currently acclimating.) I spent a good amount of time looking at bettas on the display shelves. I think I came on a relatively good day, hardly any bettas lost to death cups. I wanted an attractive male who looked physically sound. I had a few I was going back and forth on, but eventually I settled on this guy. (This is the best picture I have right now, I didn't want to spook the poor fella too much. This day must be stressful enough for him as it is.)

[​IMG]

He was listed as a halfmoon betta, but I really don't know if that's accurate or not. He looked really cool and wasn't acting funny, so I went with him! Now I just need to come up with a name...

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

3. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Could it have been from one of those shrimps that resemble ghost shrimp? I thought it was bettas who might kill the ghost shrimp... If things don't work out I can move them into my 29g with my dwarf gourami and snails, or return them.

4. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I've been thinking about relocating some of my ghost shrimp to my betta tank, so keep us posted on how everything turns out, if you decide to keep them. I think if they're small enough to fit in the betta's mouth he'll eat them, but especially since mine likes to lay on the gravel, I would be afraid of some curious shrimps getting a little too curious at night...

5. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

The three I got are too big to be eaten at least. I'll try to get a tank picture up tonight, there is some vertical elevation that the betta will hopefully be able to use if he wants.

6. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

That looks like it might be a double tail, not a halfmoon. Looks like we're going to need more pictures ;)

7. Shine Well Known Member Member

My betta looked upon her ghost shrimp as roaming snacks. It took about a month and a half, but she picked them all off :p Pretty boy you have there, can't wait to see a tank shot with him exploring his new space :)

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

What a pretty little boy!! He's a Double Tail. Wether of not he's a *halfmoon* double tail will remain to be seen. We need a full flare for that :)

9. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

From everything I hear, it all comes down to the personality of the betta. I got lucky with mine and it's lived with african dwarf frogs, ghost & amano shrimp, and even snails. He is sometimes curious but never nips or tries to devour anything...luckily. This tank has been up for months too.
    I have heard of bettas killing almost anything, but ghost shrimp going at a betta seems crazy. But once again I have heard of ghost shrimp being a tad aggressive. Usually this is from underfeeding (which is rare cause these guys scavenge for Everything), or like you said, there are the 'machrobrachium' shrimp (i hope i spelled that right). I have read that if they grow unusually large, over 2", and have longer arms, or noticable markings (stripes I think) they can be one of these shrimp that look similar to ghosties while they're still young. That's all I really know about them. They seem to be like the freshwater version of a mild mantis shrimp, attitude-wise. You can actually see them, but don't know what you're getting...scary.
    But anyways, there is always the "if it fits in the mouth it could be eaten" rule, but as long as they're fully grown, I would imagine little issues. Especially with space, plants, and hiding spots.

If your tank is already cycled, setup, and running we need to see pics. You know we're always hungry for pics! I'm terrible with picking names and don't have any for mine yet so can't help you there. Best of luck with the stocking. Keep us updated. Are you looking to add anything other than the betta and shrimp?

10. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

They're still acclimating :) I plan to have them in the tank in about 30 minutes, so I'll take pictures then!

I wouldn't know what else to add to this tank honestly. Can anything else be safely added, without overstocking or anything?

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what a nice looking boy!!!! I cant wait to see his true colors in his new home. He looks like a crownie on his dorsal fins and a dt on his tail fins LOL

12. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Depends on the betta, really. The shrimp will continue to populate the tank, but they don't really add anything to the bioload. You could try a couple female Guppies, or Neon Tetras, or any other small schooler. I'd go back to the pet store, see what you like, and report back with a list :)

13. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

I really like, and want, neons, but they seem pretty fragile these days. I could try a couple female guppies if he plays nice with the shrimp!

14. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

You need to get Florida Raised Neons! I had some, and they were great! Colors were fabulous, always spunky, and the males sparing over the females... They even survived (and actually, never even caught) a columnaris outbreak in my tank. :)

15. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

I have heard that actually... How do I find neons from a specific state?

16. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Since you're pretty close, just ask the LFS to order FL Raised Neons from Segrest Farms :) I bet they use Segrest Farms there, any way ;)

17. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

I dunno if I would call Texas *that* close to Florida >.> But it couldn't hurt to ask.

18. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

19. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

I heard bettas and guppies do Not mix due to their long fins. The betta will see them as another betta/"enemy" and go after them. I'm all for neons. I hear they are somewhat sensitive. What's your water like? I agree, maybe a small school of fish to add. I wouldn't go with anything too active and crazy due to the slower betta. I'm upgrading my 5G to a 10G planted and am adding harlequin rasboras to my betta crew (rasboras first). You could add some corys, they seem to be a fan fav. I don't know too much about them but they are cute in their own weird little way, and they have dwarf ones.

20. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Aw, the LFS I like isn't on the list... There is one I haven't really checked out on it tho, that's close by. I'll check in with them.

I'm gonna start a blog thread for this tank, pictures have been taken and uploaded, and will be posted there!