It's Not Fair!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuppyGuy007

Well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a rant.
My LFS is having this massive sale on fish tomorrow, 50% off all fish.
I had a cycling 10 gallon tank, which had a lot of ammonia in it, so I dumped a bottle of SafeStart Plus into the tank.
I have also been dosing with stability.
This was a couple days ago.
Today I finally did the test, and the Ammonia was coming out 2ppm!
I was not at all happy with Tetra Safestart, and I am disappointed in the stability. I was hoping that it would by ready for fish! Any chances that Celestial Pearl Danios could live in my 30 gallon with guppies and tetras until my other tank is cycled? I guess I will check my 5.5 gallon to see if that is any better. Does anyone know how to use Tetra money back guarantee, because if I had added fish, they would all be dead.

Compatability

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is a rant.
My LFS is having this massive sale on fish tomorrow, 50% off all fish.
I had a cycling 10 gallon tank, which had a lot of ammonia in it, so I dumped a bottle of SafeStart Plus into the tank.
I have also been dosing with stability.
This was a couple days ago.
Today I finally did the test, and the Ammonia was coming out 2ppm!
I was not at all happy with Tetra Safestart, and I am disappointed in the stability. I was hoping that it would by ready for fish! Any chances that Celestial Pearl Danios could live in my 30 gallon with guppies and tetras until my other tank is cycled? I guess I will check my 5.5 gallon to see if that is any better. Does anyone know how to use Tetra money back guarantee, because if I had added fish, they would all be dead.
The fish store usually takes back fish, mine does, in fact they take anything back and let you replace with anything of same value. Good luck!!

FlipFlopFishFlake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am so sorry A lot of the "instant cycle" products are scams or very ineffective. Luckily, you can keep the CPD's in a 30 gallon with guppies (though it's recommended to quarantine new fish, so if you have no choice, VERY thoroughly examine them before purchase, still not a guarantee though.) Make sure to provide lots of cover for the danios in the temporary 30 gallon, as they can be shy.

OP
GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, I may have just caught a lucky break.
I just tested my 5.5 gallon, and I got 0 Ammonia, and 0 Nitrites. I am anxiously awaiting my nitrate results. I do trust this store a lot, the manager actually wrote a book about about nano fish, and his stock always look healthy. I would always quarantine first, but this might be the case where I need to make an exception.

Woohoo! 15 PPM nitrate! I am so excited!

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congratulations! Looks like the SafeStart worked, it just took a little time. I agree with Woegong, next time it would be a great idea to use already-cycled filter media from an already established tank to start a new one.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Congratulations! Looks like the SafeStart worked, it just took a little time. I agree with Woegong, next time it would be a great idea to use already-cycled filter media from an already established tank to start a new one.
Not enough information to determine anything.

Didn’t mention if it was a fish in cycle like TetraSafeStart is designed for, or added ammonia.

You can’t just pour TetraSafeStart in a tank and have it cycle. The beneficial bacteria needs an ammonia source.

And folks jumping on the bandwagon to trash TetraSafeStart. I am not going to argue between TetraSafeStart, Stability, Dr. Tim’s, etc.

I can testify that it worked for me just by following the directions.

Salty Betta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Absolutely agree with @Hunter1. You cant just dump TSS in and have it cycled, it needs an ammonia source. Personally, I would not get those CPD even if they are on sale. What if one of them is sick and you put it right into your display tank, that's potentially all your fish dead, much more $$$ gone down the drain than the discounted price. I would just take it slow and do a fishless cycle. Although for future, I always keep a sponge filter in my 29g tank as a backup, so If i need to set up a qt tank in an emergency, I just use the sponge filter and its cycled.

Jeffsglo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You could always do water change on 10 gallon and pour tetra safe start plus in with your new fish. As long as you follow directions you should be fine. I wouldn’t put them In your display tank. You could lose all of them.

ZeeZ

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It doesn't matter if there's anything alive in it. TSS only needs an ammonia source and there was one as the OP tested 2 PPM of ammonia.

OP
GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, the tank started with 8ppm ammonia, it is down to two. My issue was that it said it would make the tank immediately safe, which was false.
I do not plan on putting them in my display tank. I have a cycled 5.5 gallon I will be quarantining them in.
Sorry to the confusion.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With 8ppm of ammonia, I'm surprised the TSS was able to survive. TSS is not designed to cycle with ammonia levels that high, that is why Tetra recommend one or two inches of fish per 10 gallons when cycling

But all's well that ends well...congrats on getting the tank cycled.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have to agree with others here. Considering what tetra safe start is supposed to do, it went above and beyond for you. I believe you got a really good bottle to survive what you did. It's designed to kick start a cycle when you add fish to fresh clean water. Its not designed to instantly cycle a high ammonia tank. When we use it for fishless cycles, we only try to replicate fish producing ammonia, not try and instant cycle a tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 14 17.9%

Top Bottom