It's Growing On My Windelov Java Fern.

makoeh

New Member
Member
Messages
11
Reaction score
7
Experience
Just started
I noticed these little white patches and took a closer look to find these little trumpet like growths. Can't be more than a few days growth. There's maybe 10 little patches on various stems and leaves ranging from leaf tips to the stalk. I guess it's even jumped over to the anacharis near by
IMG_20190415_201356.jpg
IMG_20190415_201344.jpg
IMG_20190415_201156.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
M

makoeh

New Member
Member
Messages
11
Reaction score
7
Experience
Just started
Vishaquatics (Koiman) said:
Looks like an aquatic fungus of some sort
If left untreated, do you think it will just continue to spread until it starts effecting the overall health? Or is this something I can wait out and let run its course?

Maybe dosing with pimafix?
 

ELON MOLLUSK

Active Member
Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
168
Location
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Those are filter feeding Protozoa microorganisms called stentors. They are not harmful but are a sign of poor water quality. Do a few water changes and they will run out of particulate in the water column and die off.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
M

makoeh

New Member
Member
Messages
11
Reaction score
7
Experience
Just started
ELON MOLLUSK said:
Those are filter feeding Protozoa microorganisms called stentors. They are not harmful but are a sign of poor water quality. Do a few water changes and they will run out of particulate in the water column and die off.
I think you got it. I'm glad it's not fungus.
 

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,042
Reaction score
3,427
Location
NC
Experience
3 years
Those... actually do look like stentor which I've only ever seen under a microscope in Biology class. Never seen them in someone's aquarium except as an uncommon shrimp parasite, but not on plants.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
M

makoeh

New Member
Member
Messages
11
Reaction score
7
Experience
Just started
-Mak- said:
Those... actually do look like stentor which I've only ever seen under a microscope in Biology class. Never seen them in someone's aquarium except as an uncommon shrimp parasite, but not on plants.
How does it interact with the shrimp? Does it just anchor on and continue siphoning? I can only assume there's an ill affect on the shrimp
 

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,042
Reaction score
3,427
Location
NC
Experience
3 years
makoeh said:
How does it interact with the shrimp? Does it just anchor on and continue siphoning? I can only assume there's an ill affect on the shrimp
Honestly I’m not quite sure, but it’s called vorticella, which is simply the overall genus. The stuff you have may not be the same species that grows on shrimp.
 

ELON MOLLUSK

Active Member
Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
168
Location
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Vorticella are much smaller than stentor. Stentor are like the biggest unicellular organisms out there which is why we can see them with our naked eye. Sure they form colonies but a single stentors cilia (fan like structures that pull water towards them so they can feed) are visible with the naked eye. Trust me guys I’ve looked at lots of things under a microscope these are one of which I’ve not only had before but observed under the scope.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
89
Guests online
2,060
Total visitors
2,149

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom