It's Growing On My Windelov Java Fern.

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by makoeh, Apr 15, 2019.

1. makoehNew MemberMember

I noticed these little white patches and took a closer look to find these little trumpet like growths. Can't be more than a few days growth. There's maybe 10 little patches on various stems and leaves ranging from leaf tips to the stalk. I guess it's even jumped over to the anacharis near by IMG_20190415_201356.jpgIMG_20190415_201344.jpgIMG_20190415_201156.jpg

2. Vishaquatics (Koiman)Well Known MemberMember

Looks like an aquatic fungus of some sort

3. makoehNew MemberMember

If left untreated, do you think it will just continue to spread until it starts effecting the overall health? Or is this something I can wait out and let run its course?

Maybe dosing with pimafix?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  4. ELON MOLLUSKValued MemberMember

Those are filter feeding Protozoa microorganisms called stentors. They are not harmful but are a sign of poor water quality. Do a few water changes and they will run out of particulate in the water column and die off.

5. makoehNew MemberMember

I think you got it. I'm glad it's not fungus.

6. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Isn't it hydra ?

7. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Those... actually do look like stentor which I've only ever seen under a microscope in Biology class. Never seen them in someone's aquarium except as an uncommon shrimp parasite, but not on plants.

8. makoehNew MemberMember

How does it interact with the shrimp? Does it just anchor on and continue siphoning? I can only assume there's an ill affect on the shrimp

9. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

That was my first thought too, but no, I don't think it actually is.

10. -Mak-Fishlore VIPMember

Honestly I’m not quite sure, but it’s called vorticella, which is simply the overall genus. The stuff you have may not be the same species that grows on shrimp.

11. ELON MOLLUSKValued MemberMember

Vorticella are much smaller than stentor. Stentor are like the biggest unicellular organisms out there which is why we can see them with our naked eye. Sure they form colonies but a single stentors cilia (fan like structures that pull water towards them so they can feed) are visible with the naked eye. Trust me guys I’ve looked at lots of things under a microscope these are one of which I’ve not only had before but observed under the scope.