its going to be a slow and painful death

GhostShrimpBreeder
well like my other thread about my betta fish bulging... it has now split open and you can see mussles...people said the Betta fix remidy I use is bad for the ffish but that's all I can count on now....
so I guess this is so long for my CT betta...

luna
:'( I don't know anything about sick fish or treating them...so all I can offer you is a .

chickadee
Split open where? On its side or under its belly? I would go ahead and use the Bettafix if that is all you have. I wish you could post a picture.

Rose

Lucy
That's very sad. If it's underneath, is it possible he's not really split, but the bulge is making his gill covers seem more open?
(I hope that makes sense)

Peterpiper
I am so sorry for the situation you and your betta are in, but if you can see no hope, then it may be time to be a friend for your betta and put a end to the suffering...

aprilrain85
That is really too bad. Hopefully you can do something to help.

GhostShrimpBreeder
well I can show a pic but the split is the size of this ----> '

I know its split because I see the pink/red mussles...
but sometimes I see him swiming freely but other times he is at the bottom of the tank...

and to make it more like fish <edited by moderator for language> my female has wat appers to be split fin on the back tail...

Lucy
If you can post a pic of both of your fish, there are knowledgeable members who may be able to help you and your bettas.

GhostShrimpBreeder
here is the male...

female

sirdarksol
I'm sorry. There's nothing I can offer than hopes and prayers.
Let us know how things progress.
(Okay, a little bit of advice: Vitachem, garlic-guard, and high-quality foods, including OmegaOne and daphnia for constipation, are your fish's friends.)

GhostShrimpBreeder
I'm sorry. There's nothing I can offer than hopes and prayers.
Let us know how things progress.
(Okay, a little bit of advice: Vitachem, garlic-guard, and high-quality foods, including OmegaOne and daphnia for constipation, are your fish's friends.)

well thanks I'm not shure if you saw the female too....

but its only 10.00$ down the drain if they both die... (and a broken heart...)

sirdarksol
Yeah. I don't care about the money at all. I've lost fish that were free and been sad about it. In my freezer right now is a pleco from a tank that I only provided periodic care for, waiting for the ground to thaw so I can give him a good burial.

MissMTS
So sorry about your bettas. That is so sad. I hope that he pulls through. I don't think that your female with die from a split fin. Sometimes bettas can just cut their fins on something in their tank. I am sorry that this is such a tough time for you. Hopefully everything will be okay. We are all here for you.

Lucy
I noticed your tank information, are both the betta in the 10g?
They really should not be together.

I said this in your other thread, is it possible the bulge is just making his gill covered flare out, I think if that happened, you'd be able to see pink, (I think). It's hard to tell from the pictures.
If you look up the anatomy of a betta, maybe you can see what I mean. I found this..it shows the underside of a betta.

Continue the feeding advice chickadee gave you in your other thread on this topic:

What are your water parameters? How often are you doing what changes?
It really would be easier for you and those trying to help you to keep this all in one thread.

I'm sorry your fish are ill, but as you see, I still think there is hope for your betta. :-\

Good luck.

I hope your bettas will be ok

GhostShrimpBreeder
I noticed your tank information, are both the betta in the 10g?
They really should not be together.

I said this in your other thread, is it possible the bulge is just making his gill covered flare out, I think if that happened, you'd be able to see pink, (I think). It's hard to tell from the pictures.
If you look up the anatomy of a betta, maybe you can see what I mean. I found this..it shows the underside of a betta.

Continue the feeding advice chickadee gave you in your other thread on this topic:

What are your water parameters? How often are you doing what changes?
It really would be easier for you and those trying to help you to keep this all in one thread.

I'm sorry your fish are ill, but as you see, I still think there is hope for your betta. :-\

Good luck.

I hope your bettas will be ok

oh no! they both have there own tank! that 10 gal WAS from my ghost shrimp!

you should check out the video I'm posting up....

GhostShrimpBreeder
Umm... YAHOO!!! today I look in the tank and I see................................................................................................................................... a big ball of ! And my betta is not bulging anymore! as I look at the pile of poo I see the pea, and betta food!
that must of hurt! is the size of this ---->
but the sad part is... I'm not shure if the split will kill him....

Lucy
Wow, so glad he got that out! lol
Sorry, I don't know how to help with the split....keep the water clean.
I'm sure someone will come along and give good advice on how to care for him now.

GhostShrimpBreeder
Wow, so glad he got that out! lol
Sorry, I don't know how to help with the split....keep the water clean.
I'm sure someone will come along and give good advice on how to care for him now.

its funny because now hes showing off his fins more and now you can tell hes a crown tail....

capekate
Glad to hear he is doing better.
Just how much are you feeding this guy to get him so bloated and constipated?
~ kate

FL CommunityFans
Gives a new meaning to split pea soup

Glad he's looking better.

MissMTS
Glad to hear he is doing better. I can't believe that that much stuff was able to pass through him.

GhostShrimpBreeder
Glad to hear he is doing better.
Just how much are you feeding this guy to get him so bloated and constipated?
~ kate

a lot lol!

capekate
So now your going to cut down on how much you feed your betta?

~ kate

chickadee
Too much LOL. He will not die from a split that small. He will need to have very clean water and to continue the Maracyn for a while but he should be okay now that the BULGE is gone but for heavens sake keep his temperature at at least 80 degrees and hers too. AND do not feed him so much. No more than 2 or 3 pieces of food per meal and no more than 2 times a day. Now that your fish has been constipated that means he may be likely to get that way again so you will need to be giving him peas at least 3 or 4 times a week to keep him from getting that way again OK?

I know that you love your fish and this is a small thing to do for them. She could use peas in her diet too to prevent this from happening to her. She also can use Maracyn to get over the split fin and needs clean water while she is healing. Just follow the directions on the bottle but do a water change between the the treatments. Like use the medication for the first week and then do a water change and use it for another week OK?

I usually recommend minipellets like Atison's Betta Pro for fish who have suffered from constipation problems if you want to use pellet foods as they are very small and do not tend to cause constipation problems as much. Other pellet foods are great like the Omega One food but need to be broken up as they are larger and will swell and the fish do tend to swallow instead of chewing so they do need to be made smaller before giving them to them whole. Otherwise they need to be soaked and allowed to swell before putting them into the tank so they do not swell inside the fish. Soaking their food in Garlic Guard is the best as it is an appetite stimulant and a vitamin supplement too.

Rose

GhostShrimpBreeder
Too much LOL. He will not die from a split that small. He will need to have very clean water and to continue the Maracyn for a while but he should be okay now that the BULGE is gone but for heavens sake keep his temperature at at least 80 degrees and hers too. AND do not feed him so much. No more than 2 or 3 pieces of food per meal and no more than 2 times a day. Now that your fish has been constipated that means he may be likely to get that way again so you will need to be giving him peas at least 3 or 4 times a week to keep him from getting that way again OK?

I know that you love your fish and this is a small thing to do for them. She could use peas in her diet too to prevent this from happening to her. She also can use Maracyn to get over the split fin and needs clean water while she is healing. Just follow the directions on the bottle but do a water change between the the treatments. Like use the medication for the first week and then do a water change and use it for another week OK?

I usually recommend minipellets like Atison's Betta Pro for fish who have suffered from constipation problems if you want to use pellet foods as they are very small and do not tend to cause constipation problems as much. Other pellet foods are great like the Omega One food but need to be broken up as they are larger and will swell and the fish do tend to swallow instead of chewing so they do need to be made smaller before giving them to them whole. Otherwise they need to be soaked and allowed to swell before putting them into the tank so they do not swell inside the fish. Soaking their food in Garlic Guard is the best as it is an appetite stimulant and a vitamin supplement too.

Rose

a few more Q's

1. my female is over the split fin!!
2. what is the proper way to change the water? what I do is I take the betta and put it in a cup of water and dump the old water and fill it back up add whatever the water needs... does taking the fish in and out of the tank make it mad?

luna
1. Fill a bucket with the right temperature and amount of new water.
2. Condition the new water.
3. Siphon out the appropriate amount of old water.
4. SLOWLY add in the new water.

I wouldn't move the fish every time, it'd be disruptive and traumatic...and let him get cold, requiring him to reacclimate to the tank every time you do a water change.

chickadee
It would not make him mad but you risk hurting him or her each time you move them. They are much more likely to be able to move out of the way if you just change about half of the water and leave them in the tank and let them stay in there. You should not take more than half of the water out at any time anyway. That is leaving enough in to keep the tank from being stripped of all the cycle progress it has made and to keep the fish from being traumatized when you add new water. Be sure the water you add is about the same water temperature as what you take out so the fish does not have temperature shock and is conditioned with a good dechlorinator to remove the chlorine and chloramine from the water. It should set for a little while to allow the dechlorinator to work and you can do this while you are syphoning the tank out. If you need to know how to do this there is a video how to do this here

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...asy-aquarium-siphon-instructions-video.19653/

There is a video at the beginning of the subject that shows you how to do it. The equipment is cheap and it is easy to use if you follow the way they show you.

Rose

luna
An addition to that, Rose...I've seen that those of us cycling our tanks shouldn't actually vacuum our substrate, as much of the bacteria we want will be trying to grow there.

What I've done is detached the vacuum portion and just use the hose to siphon off my water - and, yes, it requires a good old-fashioned "suck on the end to get the flow going" start to the siphoning, but I don't actually get any tank water in my mouth.

Also, for ease and convenience, I have 2 buckets. One for new water and one for old water, with volumes clearly marked on both so I'm sure I'm taking out the same amount of water that I'm going to be adding.

chickadee
If you have cycled with Bio-spira you have a full compliment of bacteria after the 7 days and can syphon okay but those of you that are doing the cycle with fish, it is true should not vacuum the gravel and should use the syphon but not on the gravel. You can use the tube but just do not put it down on the gravel. Hold it about 2 inches above the gravel and just wave it about to use it to suction the water from the tank. As long as it does not come in contact with the gravel directly it will not remove any of the growing bacteria forming there. Instead of the "suck on the end" I would invest in a turkey baster and allow it to do the sucking for me. I could just never get myself to do it. Just squeeze the bulb end and stick the pointed end in the tube of the hose of the syphon and let it "suck the water on through".

Rose

Sprinangl2
wow! i'm soooo glad he got that out! uughhh, that MUST have hurt!!!!

angelfish220
Also, for ease and convenience, I have 2 buckets. One for new water and one for old water, with volumes clearly marked on both so I'm sure I'm taking out the same amount of water that I'm going to be adding.

For a small tank, I like using plastic milk jugs, because they all hold the same

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MisterBettaFishy
Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
Replies