Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
And now it's time for some decisions to be made:
1) Spawn prep and conditioning
2) Style of spawn
3) Who to spawn

3 - Originally this was an easy choice, it was going to be my red pair. However :-\ as that is no longer an option I am left with one female and two possible males. (I just realized I've never gotten any pictures of my little darling so I'll have to set the photo tank up again pic's will have to follow :whoops

2 - I'm not looking for a huge spawn. And so am hoping to try the "father in" method. However I was snooping around on Betty Splendens and she has two systems for this. One is to use a 10 gallon tank (mostly filled) the other is a long shallow plastic tub...

1 - What do you guys use to condition? Obviously I can't use the Hikari betta pellets (serious digestion issues, I swear the poops are bigger then the pellets) and I can order Atison's from the BBC. Any other suggestions of recommendations?

Annadvn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cant help you with questions 3 or 2 but for question 1, i use black worms (i have a breeding tank of them) for conditioning 2 worms twice a day for a week with a pellet afterwards for other nutrients the worms are missing (worms are fed spirulina and apple!)

I use to use Hikari but switched to Kens(kensfish.com) betta pellet (worked out cheaper for me!)

Anna

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks Anna

Well I started off take pics of the female but on top of not getting any spectacular ones I realized I have a copy of her purchase picture

I took Draco's pic, the other two are the purchase photo's I didn't have a good one of Bran flaring.

I'd like to pair the female with bran but I don't know exactly what kind of a result I would get.

Annadvn

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I think i would pair her with the first male, although pairing her with the marble would be interesting. Just my :

Anna

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like the pairing with the marble too. He is amazing!..... I condition mine with bloodworns and BBS. I spawn in a 2.5g. tank. I find that it's not as much strain on the male swimming up and down to the nest putting first eggs into the nest then picking up fry and putting them in the nest.

Flyfrod

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use a 10 gal with 4-5in. water in it to start. The bigger tank will help to control water quality as the lil ones grow. Just my opinion. I condition mine with Atison's Betta Pro and BBS. That's what MM shared with me and we all see the results.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think i would pair her with the first male, although pairing her with the marble would be interesting. Just my :

Anna
Those two are from the same breeder and have a similar coloring, Draco as actually more blue while she is a pale green.

I like the pairing with the marble too. He is amazing!..... I condition mine with bloodworns and BBS. I spawn in a 2.5g. tank. I find that it's not as much strain on the male swimming up and down to the nest putting first eggs into the nest then picking up fry and putting them in the nest.
They were going to be the original pair but she has a really unique "look" to her scales. They almost look thicker, like she was a painted easter egg...

I don't know if I'm just seeing things or not.

I use a 10 gal with 4-5in. water in it to start. The bigger tank will help to control water quality as the lil ones grow. Just my opinion. I condition mine with Atison's Betta Pro and BBS. That's what MM shared with me and we all see the results.
So Bloodworms, BBS, Atison's, and Black worms are recommended, I know a couple places I can order the BBS from and the Atison's. Would Red Wrigglers be a possible alternative?

Hmm... I'll keep thinking on the spawn tank, I might end up dismantling the bath and using that tub as a spawn tank and putting the other male and the female in the 2.5's I have. Could only do that once though since that tub needs to go on top of the shelving units...

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha MM

I can't let that marble go he's my pride and joy lol.

I'm also worried about the bi-colour boy. He's never picked up 100% since his near death experience a few weeks back. There's been no bubble nests, nothing. He spends most of the day resting on the bottom of the tank.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well later today I'll be moving Bran and Darling into the glass 2.5's to start the conditioning process. I would leave them in their current containers but 1) I don't have a way of visually isolating them, and 2) I'm going to need to take the isolation set up apart (probably) to make room for the spawn tank still haven't decided what to do there. I know Pandora used to use Rubber-maid tubs so I may try that yet... :s

Shiba

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought a couple rubber-maids to spawn, but idk if it's such a good idea for me to be spawning anytime soon

pamd

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those two are from the same breeder and have a similar coloring, Draco as actually more blue while she is a pale green.

They were going to be the original pair but she has a really unique "look" to her scales. They almost look thicker, like she was a painted easter egg...

I don't know if I'm just seeing things or not.
Is the girl a dragon, Red? I really enjoyed your long, long IBC posts but didn't read all the way through. I would think somewhere dragons would be defined. Anyway, I love her look. My Norbert is a dragon.

I like the looks and conformation of both boys, too! You have obviously done a lot of research and work for your first spawn, and I wish you the very best of luck.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom