its gecko time Important

Discussion in 'Reptiles' started by LE0, Dec 28, 2012.

1. LE0

LE0Valued MemberMember

so hey guys,
    im thinking on getting either crested or leopard geckos and need your advice because there is alot of conflicting advice.
    i was thinking of getting a 30x30x45 for 2 crested ( please correct me really need help on the sizes ) or a 45x45x45 for 2 leopards( please correct me )???????????????????????????????? any advice wanted

2. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I'm not knowledgeable on Leopard's but on Crested Geckos, they are better off being housed separately. When they're young, it's better to house them in a 8x8x12, then upgrading to a 12x12x18 after about 6 months or so.

You can house two females together, but I wouldn't advise it unless you're very experienced with Crested Geckos. I have two, one female and one male (both only a few months old). I've got them in a 12x12x18 each.

The only thing between the two of them are - Crested Geckos have different temperature requirements, which to me is much easier to maintain than Leopards (Why I don't have any). The Leopards during the day hours require 78 to 88F or so temperature and during the night hours around 72-78F. The Crested Geckos require around 70 to 76F during the day hours and 66-70F at night. Those are general temps, which can vary just slightly with each one.

I think it's more expensive to take care of Leopards which require live crickets, roaches, etc, which have to be calcium dusted and gut-loaded for 12-24 hours before feeding. The Crested Geckos only require a CGD formula food (Crested Gecko Diet - Mixed with water only). They can eat crickets on an occasion but it's not required like with the Leopard Geckos.

The choice is yours. If you need any more details or help, then let me know. :)

3. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Leopards are way better off alone. Also, both geckos would need to be kept separate for the first 3 months anyways while the QT'd. The basic needs for leopard gecko are 10gals for 1. I keep mine 20gal for 1 though, they make full use of the space. Until you have a few years experience, keeping multiple geckos per housing is not recommended.

Crested Geckos:
    Can eat CGD prepared food
    Don't require much special heating or lighting
    Do have some humidity requirements
    Prefer vertical space over horizontal space

Leopard geckos:
    Need heat matts
    Need live insect diets (crickets,superworms, mealworms are all basic staples)
    Need vitamin suppliments (The same company that makes CGD also makes Calcium+ which is the only good 3 in one vitamin supp for leos)
    Like to have horizontal space but also need things to climb on. They dont have pads on their toes but their claws make them great climbers.

4. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

The initial cost of my leopard gecko was about $200 (granted $85 of that was spent on the Gecko alone). $15 on a heating pad, $10 on dishes and a cave, $8 on her Repashy vitamins, a few bucks fixing up the tank, and the rest on some other random things. Now, (untill her little jar of vitamins runs out) I only spend about a $1 a week on her ($2 every week or so for food).

Since ones mentioned it yet, Cresties are jumpy when they are young, and scare easy, causing them to drop their tails, which never go back. If you get a young one, you really need to have the time to spend with them to tame them down. Leopard Geckos seem a lot less scared of things and handling. However, Cresties are a billion times cuter :p

5. soltarianknight

I pretty much say it is a case by case situation. I have seen leos that HATE being handled, mine included and Cresties that dont mind it at all. Just don't use ease of handling to make the final decision.

6. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

I have handled both Leopards and Crested - Crested (at least in my experiences) are more tame, and I still have the tails on my Crested Geckos with no issues.

If you raise them properly, feed them properly, handle them with care (like you would with any animal), and don't over handle them too, then you'll not have any issues. That's just my opinion and experiences.

And I agree, though, that Crested Geckos are cuter. :)

7. OP
    OP
    LE0

LE0Valued MemberMember

what about the viv size??? will a 30x30x45 do 2 crested and will a 45x45x45 do 2 leopards?

8. AlexAlexWell Known MemberMember

Crested Geckos need a tall cage. IMO, they do very well in the glass terrariums, as I have with my two.

As other members have stated, I would suggest only housing 1 per cage/aquarium. It's ultimately your choice, though.

On the Leopards, as long as you have a 10 Gallon when they're in the juvenile stage and then upgrading to a 20 Long or bigger when they are adult.

Here are a couple of videos that are very informative on some parts of caring for a crested Gecko:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyn76kMtOXU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-SPsQDWuVE

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  9. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Depends on the breeder, too. Good lines and handing from a very early age helps tons.

Of course, some indivuals are just grump butts and hate everything LOL

10. OP
    OP
    LE0

LE0Valued MemberMember

right going to get 2 geckos from the same place. this is the vivarium im going for   this is meant to be a home for life for a gecko? thanks for all the help

11. soltarianknight

Still need to QT them separately. This is recommended by breeders who sell you their animals too. Also, if your getting two then it has to be 2 females. Just because you get them doesn't mean they will get a long, gecko vet bills can get high and having your pets rip eachothers toes off is no fun.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice