It's cracked!

1. zpecialt Member Member

I was going through my weekly cleaning on our 75g tank the night before last and discovered a 3-4 inch crack on the outside of the glass. It's on the front pane an inch or two from the bottom and starts from the corner seal and spreads towards the middle. I felt the inside of the tank it it doesn't seem to go all the way through the glass.

Can I repair this with sealant! I'm nervous that it's going to start leaking and destroy our floor! Help!

2. dvc_r Well Known Member Member

If I were you, I would Not be waiting for one of us to give you some advise. I'd be at the LFs buying another tank before you reach the ultumate disaster of this hobby!

3. namehater Well Known Member Member

unfortunately theres nothing you can really do for the crack. you need to figure out an alternative, like now.

maybe hunt on craigslist to find a replacement tank, or setup a temporary home for the fish, buy new glass, and replace the cracked piece. your best bet is to hunt on craigslist.

4. flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't take the chance either. The good new is (not that there is any real good news) that just buying a tank and not needing everything to go with it won't cost you that much. You might check CL and local classifieds as well.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with the others (although id word it a bit better:nono:) and not try to save this tank :( its too risky and the fish as well as your floors could be at severe risk ..goood luck!

6. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

I'd move the fish to a hospital/quarantine tank or a 5 gal bucket for the time being. With the filter, heater, air stone, etc they won't be in trouble as long as it's not for a long period of time.

7. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

great idea!!! but in a 75g, you might need a larger container..walmart has those huge tubs that are plastic with lids..you can move your filter/heater right over to that for the time being if your fish are larger than a 5g bucket can hold..

8. zpecialt Member Member

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the great feedback. Pretty much as I figured, but I was hoping someone with a miracle patch job might have some alternate advice.

9. crazy4fish_123 Member Member

buy a new tank

a mircale sealent job will not fix it for good