It's Been A Stressful Morning...

Grumple

Reaction score
So, it looks like our 'special' goldfish Lucky has finally lost his battle with the various issues he was born with...

20190418_093929.jpg

He's the offspring of our Ryukin and Black Moor - the sole survivor of last summer.

His mouth is deformed and barely opens, his right gill is folded open, and a couple of his fins don't really work...

He's always often been seen swimming upside down and in odd ways, but last night he seemed more settled upside down and wasn't really into any food (even when swimming upright). Due to all his general quirks, I went to bed saying 'you do you Lucky!'

This morning I found him fully upside down and not moving at all, but his gills and eyes moving.

After going through so much with this little guy (sole survivor of 80+ fry, was once 'eaten' by his mum and spat out when I tapped her, so was kept in his own 60L tank for 8 months and only in the big tank with his parents for a month) I desperately tried to help him stay upright, but he literally doesn't seem able to move at all on his own.

I somehow managed to fashion the 'harness' and get it on him from some elastic string I had. It's keeping him upright but I've got little hope of him surviving now.

I needed to vent and thought I'd just let you guys meet him after a really stressful morning.

Absolutely gutted.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So, it looks like our 'special' goldfish Lucky has finally lost his battle with the various issues he was born with...

View attachment 548239

He's the offspring of our Ryukin and Black Moor - the sole survivor of last summer.

His mouth is deformed and barely opens, his right gill is folded open, and a couple of his fins don't really work...

He's always often been seen swimming upside down and in odd ways, but last night he seemed more settled upside down and wasn't really into any food (even when swimming upright). Due to all his general quirks, I went to bed saying 'you do you Lucky!'

This morning I found him fully upside down and not moving at all, but his gills and eyes moving.

After going through so much with this little guy (sole survivor of 80+ fry, was once 'eaten' by his mum and spat out when I tapped her, so was kept in his own 60L tank for 8 months and only in the big tank with his parents for a month) I desperately tried to help him stay upright, but he literally doesn't seem able to move at all on his own.

I somehow managed to fashion the 'harness' and get it on him from some elastic string I had. It's keeping him upright but I've got little hope of him surviving now.

I needed to vent and thought I'd just let you guys meet him after a really stressful morning.

Absolutely gutted.
I’m so sorry. I’m just glad that you are doing everything possible to keep this guy alive and well. Unfortunately, sometimes it’s just out of our control no matter how much we try. Just know that you’re a great fish keeper and any fish would be lucky to be in your care. Props to you for not giving up!

OP
G

Grumple

Reaction score
Sadly Lucky passed away a few hours ago.

He was just breathing less and less, then was eventually totally still.

I keep thinking there was more I could've done - after all the time and effort it's taken to get him to this point...

At least he had some sort of life, and I'm glad he was able to spend a short time with his family!

Didn't think I'd be this gutted about losing a fish, but he was a character to us.

OP
G

Grumple

Reaction score
I’m so sorry. I’m just glad that you are doing everything possible to keep this guy alive and well. Unfortunately, sometimes it’s just out of our control no matter how much we try. Just know that you’re a great fish keeper and any fish would be lucky to be in your care. Props to you for not giving up!

Thanks very much - that actually makes me feel a bit better.

I tried my best.

TheBettaSushi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sadly Lucky passed away a few hours ago.

He was just breathing less and less, then was eventually totally still.

I keep thinking there was more I could've done - after all the time and effort it's taken to get him to this point...

At least he had some sort of life, and I'm glad he was able to spend a short time with his family!

Didn't think I'd be this gutted about losing a fish, but he was a character to us.
Oh no. I’m so sorry!

Nothing more you could have done because if there were, you would have done it already. You did everything and if it wasn’t for you, he probably wouldn’t have lived for the amount of time he did, trust me.

I was really sad when my betta passed away... it was so bad that I drained the tank, put it away and gave up the hobby for a moment.

It happens to all of us especially when you’ve interacted with them as much as you have.

Swim in peace Lucky!!!

CandyCane701

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So sorry for your loss! You are amazing for how much time you dedicated to helping lucky. Based on how you described him though, I think it was only a matter of time. You definitely did everything you possibly could have, and he definitely lasted a lot longer than he would have without you.

Crazycoryfishlady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow what an amazing post.
I've always thought about harnesses for fish, never thought I'd see it though!
You did a lot more than most could say too honestly.
Especially saving him from being eaten holy cow!
They're right, lucky was very lucky indeed to have someone like you to help care for him.
The sheer effort speaks wonders about how much you care.
You did wonderfully, and I know he will be swimming peacefully belly which ever direction he pleases from now on.
So sorry he passed, but this is a wonderful little story.

OP
G

Grumple

Reaction score
Wow what an amazing post.
I've always thought about harnesses for fish, never thought I'd see it though!
You did a lot more than most could say too honestly.
Especially saving him from being eaten holy cow!
They're right, lucky was very lucky indeed to have someone like you to help care for him.
The sheer effort speaks wonders about how much you care.
You did wonderfully, and I know he will be swimming peacefully belly which ever direction he pleases from now on.
So sorry he passed, but this is a wonderful little story.
Thanks very much!

Kinda mad how much effort and care we can end up putting into these little guys.

I know no-one else would really understand/appreciate the stress of yesterday morning, so thanks for all the kind words - it's made me feel a lot better about it all.

JChi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Awwwww, I'm so sorry you lost your little Lucky. I think that he was a lucky fish to have gotten you as his owner! Sounds like you did everything you could to keep him healthy.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow you went above and beyond for that poor little guy. He was indeed lucky to have you. Your a great fishkeeper! Unfortunately it happens. Rip lucky!

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 53 67.9%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 14 17.9%

Top Bottom