its a miracle!

1. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

ok so i had a betta fish that i have yet to mention on the forum because of issues i had with him in the past. but now i think since he has finally woke up from his fishy coma his story needs to be told. i bought him a while ago from friedbettas as a present for my mother because she loved bettas and wanted one as a pet. he was i believe #9 of ares spawn. well we had a freak snow storm when he and his sister arrived and of course usps had some complications sooo... my fish were frozen! they were also dropped by my mailman... so i spent 3 hours thawing out my fishcicles and the female woke up first. i thought my little boy was dead until he thawed out and moved slightly. so i decided to keep him in a recovery tank. its been a few months and hes only ever gotten up to breath and maybe snack on a pellet food. i woke up this morning and finally seen him actually swimming! i was amazed he was actually not brain dead! i finally introduced him into my bigger tank after watching him swim around for 3 hours straight. now he is acting like a normal betta im so happy!!!! he is exploring his tank and playing with the cherry barbs in my 30g he looks so happy!!!!
    photo (8).JPG

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

What a lovely story, so glad he rewarded all your care by coming through his ordeal, I hope he continues to do well for you :)
    btw is he really that pink or is it just the light?

3. NCE12940 Well Known Member Member

Very good news indeed! :D

4. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

hes pink red and white

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

That is amazing! It survived being frozen?

6. lollipopkiller Well Known Member Member

yep i didnt think it would it is amazingly strong little guys

7. SW5 Well Known Member Member

It would seem that bettas can endure just about anything. I have heard incredible stories about them surviving absolutely awful living conditions. They're tough little guys. He's a beautiful betta, I'm happy that he pulled through.

8. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

wow what a story

9. WiFi Well Known Member Member

That is crazy! I've gotten fish in the mail in the dead of winter (Minnesota) and worried about getting fishcicles. Insane to be able to survive that!!

10. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

What a survivor!
    Poor thing. :( Fish don't go to sleep like humans and mammals when it gets cold. Fish stay conscious while the ice forms on them and it must really hurt.

11. Clement Chee Initiate Member

It definitely has a strong will to live! Such a warrior.

12. Antoniothe3rd Initiate Member

It's a Christmas (in July) miracle! That's so amazing! I'm glad your hard work paid off and he's getting better. What a story :D

13. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Holy...wow. I have heard of goldfish doing this on the regular but tropical fish I would have for sure thought not.

Remember how freezing a fish used to be thought of as a humane method of euthanasia? Yeah, makes you think twice doesn't it haha?

Good for you :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. atb224155 Member Member

I can't help but laugh...I haven't heard of stories about bettas frozen solid. But I'm glad that they are both swim and thriving.

15. mg13 Well Known Member Member

yeah, I think it would probably kill whatever you euthanized him/her for... lol

then you can thaw them and they'll heal...

lol, for newbies... don't do that! it was a joke... lol

16. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Lol. A new method for disease treatment?

17. mg13 Well Known Member Member

I invented it myself... :rolleyes:

maybe you should try it Poetic... lol

18. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

That's a wonderful story!!!

I hope this isn't too cruel but do you have pics of your "fishcicles" when they arrived that would be pretty cool to see