It's A Miracle! They're Alive Darn It!!

Discussion in 'Cherry Shrimp' started by BettaOman, Sep 13, 2018.

1. BettaOman

BettaOmanValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    Just started
    Couldn't help myself with the title because it's all I can sing right now.

Please help me figure out what happened here:

Last night I planted a new, previously washed plant in my shrimp tank. Within minutes of being in contact with it ALL of my RCS started twitching and jumping, their tail pointing upwards, and then they would float back to the ground and land on their sides or back and just stopped moving. Horrified by the massacre, I ripped out the new plant as fast as i could and did a 50% water change and dosed prime. I went to bed heartbroken thinking I will have lost all my beloved cherry shrimp by the morning. They all looked dead!

Lo and behold, this morning I run up to the tank and they're ALL alive, chilling on the stones and wood, crawling around, scavenging for food.

WHAT!?

I had suspected the plant still contained some sort of fertilizer (or copper based snail repellent) and I didn't wash it enough to get rid of it.

Did the water change helped my shrimps recovery? Is there a plant that "numbs" or knocks out shrimp? I've attached a picture of the ripped out plant.

What is going on? IMG_20180914_055942.

2. Bryangar

BryangarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,506
    Experience:
    2 years
    That’s strange. I don’t know of any plant that can knock out shrimp. Where did you buy it? and what was it labeled as? Is it possible to get a closer, clear pic of an individual stem?

You said you rinsed it. In tap water? I know shrimp are very sensitive to chlorine and chloramines, do you know if your tap has that?

If it had copper, they wouldn’t be alive.

3. OP
    OP
    BettaOman

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    Just started
    Our pet shops here don't label anything unfortunately. They also don't know anything.. I saw one plant that looked like Chinese evergreen planted under water. I asked him if he's sure this plant should be kept fully submerged. His answer was "they (the supplier) said they're all aquarium plants" ... So much about that.

I had washed it in chlorinated water but then kept it for a good hour in tank water (in a much bigger tank) before planting in the smaller shrimp tank.

I tried to take a clearer picture of one stem. Maybe I should have it identified in another section here. IMG_20180914_070850.

4. Bryangar

BryangarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,506
    Experience:
    2 years
    The leaf pattern does look familiar, but I can’t figure it out. @Jocelyn Adelman any idea?

5. OP
    OP
    BettaOman

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    Just started
    Someone suggested a kind of rotala. Which sounds/ looks right. Not a plant that knocks out shrimp though
    Still no idea what the reason could be..

6. Jocelyn Adelman

Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,021
    Experience:
    2 years
    Looks like rotala bangledesh, however the stem is a bit thicker then it should be. The plant itself is not the cause of the issue... possible it was treated with something, unlikely a fert, but possible a pesticide.
    To counteract pesticides you can soak for 30min in baking soda, then for an additional hour with some orange peels.
    Many imported plants are treated before they can enter the states, however, residual pesticides aren’t common by the time the plants reach us.

I would also look into other possibilities... did you do a bleach dip and not soak in prime after? Anything you came into contact with (pets flea and tick meds, lotion, etc) that might have been on you when you added to the tank?

7. OP
    OP
    BettaOman

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    Just started
    I don't live in the US hehe but that doesn't mean it wasn't treated with anything. I have not dipped it into anything else myself. Thanks for the tips for removing pesticides! I don't have orange peel, can I just rinse it for a while in normal water?

8. Jocelyn Adelman

Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,021
    Experience:
    2 years
    Baking soda and water should be fine, orange peels target other pesticides...

9. OP
    OP
    BettaOman

Ratings:
    +37
    Experience:
    Just started
    I did what you suggested. We are all still alive this morning thank you!

10. Jellibeen

JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +954
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I am glad they were okay the next morning! That is weird. My shrimp act excited whenever i put something new in the tank. They all swarm over to it in order to investigate..

Maybe this is your shrimp's way of telling you that their new decor didn't match their feng shui.