It's a Baby Cherry Barb!

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by BlackwaterRat, Jul 16, 2015.

1. BlackwaterRat

BlackwaterRat New Member Member

Hi everyone!

So, I got home two days ago from a two-week long trip to visit family. My dad has been taking care of our tanks while we were away. My 20 gal has 3 gold barbs, 3 cherry barbs, and 2 African Dwarf frogs, plus a bunch of stem plants and a few smaller plants. I actually thought I had accidentally flushed one of the cherry barbs down the toilet while I did a major clean the day before we left because I could not find her anywhere for hours after. She showed back up the morning we left thank goodness; I figure she had to have been under the big fake rock/waterfall decoration that's in there--I found that there was a gap under the back of it where the gravel was sort of tunneled out.

We got home Tuesday, and the tank had a lot of algae but was otherwise doing great. My stem plants and the lettuce-like floating plants exploded over the past two weeks. I spent a few hours yesterday cleaning all three tanks and (OMG!) was shocked when a teeny tiny cherry barb peeked out from under the big rock! I almost thought I imagined it, but a while later it was peeking out again. Then last night it was swimming out in the open, down on the bottom amongst the plants mostly. As far as I can tell, he is the only one.

Well this was a surprise! I pretty much assumed that unless I made special efforts my fish were either unlikely to spawn or were (more) likely to eat the eggs. Also, I figured the frogs would eat anything the fish didn't. (Incidentally, one of the frogs turned up dead yesterday and the other one is now going under the rock too, I guess to eat baby fish?) Needless to say, I didn't have anything on hand to feed the little guy...

I figure if this little guy has made it this far, then mom and dad have been watching out for it and making sure he is eating. My main question now is this--how long do baby barbs need to be fed special food? All my barbs usually eat TetraMin tropical crisps and pellets and I give occasional treats, though they tend to ignore them (nobody eats the freeze-dried shrimp!) Yesterday they went nuts for frozen brine shrimp. They've also ignored fresh zucchini. I have zero experience with fish eggs, fry, and such, so I'm not even sure how long you consider the babies fry, and when they technically are considered mature.

Thanks in advance!
    Amy

By the way, I'm trying to get a decent pic of the baby...I will post one if I can!

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

yay! Congrats!

3. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

Congrats!

:)

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Cherry barbs do not give any care to the fry, but eggs can hide in any number of small places. The fry is probably feeding on the bb, and will come out of hiding to look for bigger bites. Sometimes a single fry can find a hiding place that none of the adult fish can reach. Congratulations!

5. OP
    OP
    BlackwaterRat

BlackwaterRat New Member Member

Thank you for all your good wishes!

Here are some baby pictures :)

The little guy is down at the bottom; I circled him here because he is a little hard to see. My three gold barbs are posing for the camera too:

There is dad, with baby down below:

Teeny tiny little baby!

6. a

aquaman86 Valued Member Member

That's weird, my cherry barb always ate all the eggs they laid if I did not remove them from the tank. Congrats though!

7. Irish Eyes

Irish Eyes New Member Member

How cool! I just received a 75 gallon aquarium from one of my husband's coworkers, complete with gold and cherry barbs. Something like 25 cherry barbs and 5 gold barbs. The coworker says he started out with 6 cherry barbs, and that the rest of them are a result of those original 6 breeding. Beautiful fish! I hope you have many more of them in the future--and I hope my cherry barbs will continue to reproduce at our house :).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice