Itchy fish? Parasite, stress?

Jayce0

I had just done a water change, afterwards I put the lid back on and started looking at him (generally to check out which scales grew back and which didn't.. he's rather rough with himself) when he suddenly started thrashing around. At first I thought he was trying to attack his reflection, but it was more like he was just throwing himself at the glass. He was making very specific swerving movements, like he was trying to scratch something off of his face. Then he stopped, rested for a bit, now he's as normal as he can be.

Did he just have a bad sudden itch..? It's not like they hand hands to just scratch themselves so in a way it's understandable that he'd just slam into a nearby solid, but I can't help but to be spooked. It can't be general itchiness from high nitrates or the like as I tested and they're all 0. I can't see anything on him, and I don't think it was a small shock from me staring at him.

Any ideas? He hasn't been generally too well, he's been fighting an on and off swim bladder, fin rot, and a bit of pop eye (I know it sounds like my water is horrible, but it isn't. I've been doing everything I can to help him..), but I haven't seen him do anything like this (other than his moment of genuine shock, which was a month or so ago).

Edit: As I mentioned, he is generally rough with himself (every once in awhile he gets some sort of injury.. I have nothing sharp in my tank..) so I wouldn't be surprised if when he gets an itch he just tries to get rid of it as aggressively as possible.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishowner24
Replies
Views
JessicaSwanlake
Replies
Views
FoldedCheese
Replies
Views