Itchy bunny ears

Littlewoman01
My 2 y/o Holland lop bunny has a very itchy ear. I've noticed it for a while but haven't really been concerned because it sort of comes and goes. But just recently he's been shaking his head more and more and scratching his ear. I took a Kleenex and whipped it out, it was dark colored ear waxy stuff. But when I touch his ear (just the left one) he instantly tries to scratch and tilt his head, almost uncontrollably. Any ideas on how I can help him? I want to try everything I can at home first before a vet visit. Any ideas will be helpful! Thank you all.

david1978
We have a dog with long floppy ears. We use peroxide on a tissue to keep her ears from getting that way. Its twice a day till symptoms are gone then like once a week or so.

Littlewoman01
david1978 said:
We have a dog with long floppy ears. We use peroxide on a tissue to keep her ears from getting that way. Its twice a day till symptoms are gone then like once a week or so.
Alright I'll try that, thank you! Any idea what causes it?

david1978
I think what happens with the floppy ears is they stay damp and get a mild infection. Something on the order of athletes foot. They do sell regular ear cleaner in spray bottles but I find peroxide much cheaper.

saltwater60
Call a vet could be an ear infection. Dogs and rabbits are very different. Lips can be prone to these issues as stated above. If you don’t do it right you can push wax and peroxide into the ear making it worse. Dogs ears are larger and easier to clean out and inspect. A check up and antibiotics are pretty cheap.
Also rabbits fur is so dense they are not supposed to get wet. I would seek professional help.
9 Things That May Cause Your Pet Rabbit to Itch

Latest threads

Top Bottom