it was too go to be true

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bleu has had problems with his fins since I got him in dec. Last month was uneventful and it almost looked like things were getting much better.

Today I come home from work to find him hiding in the castle thing. When he finally came out, his top fin is gone. I mean its shredded down to the end almost near the top of his body.

My first thought was maybe he ate it. But I dont think he can reach it

He is in a 10 gal with temp 80, weekly water changes of about 40% with gravel vac, params 0, 0, 10, a varied diet.

Out of all the fin and tail issues, never the top fin. I just cant imagine what happened

Any suggestions??

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aw I'm so sorry, it was going so well for a while. Again I have no idea. I know there can't be anything in there that would rip them, you would have taken care of that months ago. His filter ???

Oh this is so frustrating, I'm sorry...

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No there is nothing sharp andd the filter has sponge at the output and input. I just hope its not painful for him.

He did seem a little mopey yesterday. Usually he is all over the place. He did eat and did his little dance for me when I got near the tank.

Is there anything I should be doing for him???

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm so sorry about Bleu
Since he's had problems with his fins since you got him, it's possible that the conditions he was kept in and lack of proper nutrition while he was young is having an effect on the integrity of his fins and his inability to grow and maintain them properly.

I'm sure I'm not suggesting anything you're not already doing, but clean water, and vita-chem to try and boost his immune system.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Just taking care of him, the usuals that you know well. Pristine water, Stress Coat, Vita-Chem is fab for fin growth. Can soak the food in garlic. I know you've heard it before, but it's all I can offer without knowing what's going on, sorry. I think we're both stumped by your little guy!

EDIT: Ninja!!

Heather M

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Awww, so sorry to hear about Bleu's fin issues! Nelson seems to have something similar, though it hasn't got as bad as Bleu . . . yet. Gulp. Nothing seems to be helping Nelson either, so if you find out something that helps Bleu, please let me know!!! I wish I could help. Sorry.

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Now Bleu has what looks like major discoloring at the point where his top fin used to be attached at the body. It looks white/brownish depending on how the light hits it. I will try to get pics in the am.

redlessi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
UPDATE:

The area with the discoloring has turned back to normal. The fin looks like its growing back.

The best part is Bleu never skipped a beat!!!!!!

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
that happened to my vt betta. i had a rock that a java fern was tied to. i didn't even think about it. but he scraped himself on it and the top fin, dorsal, was all but gone. it has grown back, but not to the length it once was. i'm not sure if it ever will. fred has also had issues with his fins.....but things seem to be getting better.

when i got him i had no idea about any of this stuff. no nitrogen cycle, nothing. did everything wrong. so he suffered and i think his fins won't ever be "normal". but he's happy.

i use vita-chem, and stress coat and those things, with clean water, has helped. good luck.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom