it was cateracts after all...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
so i never knew this, but my dad grew up with rabbits on the farm and he looked at Princess's eye and confirmed that its cateracts. he said its very common on older demestic bun-buns. it hasnt really been affecting her very much, aside from her eating habbits. she's been eating less, but not all that much. she also doesnt notice me as quickly if her bad eye is toward me when i come out after school to feed and water them (and in case u didnt kno, she LOVES her food and if theres none left, as soon as i come out, she lets me kno that her bowl is empty XD rofl spoiled brat!). do u guys have any tips on caring for a 1/2 blind bunny? i've never owned anything that couldnt see before ^.^'>

Last edited:

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
animals adapt well to handicaps,take for instance a blind person, and a blind dog, the person isn't aware of much in the room, but the dog knows lots of things, say by smell(and or hearing) he can tell who is in the room, and whats for dinner,as well as being able to sense other things a human couldn't sense to begin with!
i actually had a blind dog when i was really young (he had diabetes) he got around well

rabbits have a great sense of hearing and smell, and only being half blind i wouldn't worry about her.(come to think of it my bro is half blind!) animals can also sense our sorryness ..since thats probably not a real word you may not know what i mean.. animals can sense what WE feel, and if you feel bad for the bunny the bunny is gunna be sad, as you are "feeding" her "ohh you poor thing" she may get over that herself and use it to be more spoiled(lol) but just remember what you think, and what"extra" you do for her because of it should be an instead... like you should have been doing it anyways.

so after all that almost pointless rambling*deep breath*... i wouldn't, worry and keep on taking care of the bun-bun.

should she ever become completely blind. make sure that when you clean her cage/area, to put stuff back where it was as the rabbit will remember where things were and make it easier for her to find where things are.(smell also helps, as most rabbits will marks things)

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i havent changed anything as to how i take care of her. i treat her like i always do (like a brat lol) she gets to run in the yard with the dogs and Betty gets her own run because she doesnt like Princess and doesnt run around like a toddler on 8 pounds of sugar like Princess does lol she did freek out when i was clipping her nails and one of my dogs snuck up on tho (i have a few scratches on my wrist now lol now i look like a **** emo kid XD)

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i have a few scratches on my wrist now lol now i look like a **** emo kid XD)
ouch!..i was cutting some metal awhile ago and it slipped(ooops!) and i got a scar on wrist, lol..rabbits.. are probably the most... bratty natured critters there are...and cute, they like TIGHT schedules and like having things done their way!!... unless of course there is a treat if they do it your way ... best of luck with your 8lbs bag of sugar aswell

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ouch!..i was cutting some metal awhile ago and it slipped(ooops!) and i got a scar on wrist, lol..rabbits.. are probably the most... bratty natured critters there are...and cute, they like TIGHT schedules and like having things done their way!!... unless of course there is a treat if they do it your way ... best of luck with your 8lbs bag of sugar aswell
lol thanks XD

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Haha she sounds like a brat.
I don't keep rabbits but one of my horses is blind in his left eye (which is the side you do all the work on with a horse) and the only two things we had to do differently with him was we had to put the saddle on from his right side (you could still cinch up from the left), and when you rode in a group he liked having his buddies to his left. However he'd also go along with his head tilted so his good eye had a better view of what was infront of him

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My Mom had a Yorkie that lost his eye. He was a little jumpy for awhile but he got his 'spunk' back after getting used to it.

OP
Akari_32

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yeah, she used to it now, but i have the feeling her other eye will go soon, too. its sorta hard to explain, but its 'darker' than normal. she seems to be getting the having 1 eye tho, and runs away from me when i try to pick her up (insead of cowering, before she got used to it), spazes out when i get home from school and thinks she's starving to death, u kno, the usual XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom