"it" rams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam999

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, this question is for my friend how recently re-did her tank(her parents wouldn't let her join the site ). Well she has a 21 gallon, planted, fully cycled and she switched from tropical community to a semi aggressive or cichlid tank(hasn't picked one). Her first enhabitants were 3 german blue ram cichlids. 2 of them(other is a confirmed female) are fighting but they show signs of being both male and female??? The 2 "its" have pointed fins, a blue belly (not pink), but have blue fluorescence in the black spot on their side. They also both have the first 3 rays on the dorsal fin are longer than the other. We are very confused because it we thought that if there was blue in the spot it was a girl but the other signs are making us confused? Can any one help?
Im also really excited because if they are both male i get one male and can keep it in a spare 15 gallon i have lying around YAY! thx

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The 2 "its" sound like they are indeed males. German Blues of course are developed to be as blue as possible. The spot color on their sides does not help determine the sex of the fish. The pointed fins and extended dorsal rays, are a very good pointer as to them being males, along with their fighting!!

OP
S

Sam999

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok thanks for the help x. YAY im getting a ram WOW!

And yes i can post pic they my be not to good but i will.

Ummm i couldn't get them to upload??? Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm going to guess:

The one on the left looks like a female.

The one on the right looks like a male.

Please don't take my word for it. I'm still learning how to sex rams. I'm sure someone will be along soon that can tell you for sure.

Gorgeous fish, by the way. I have no luck with blue rams, but lots of luck with bolivian rams.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
The one on the right definitely looks to be male. But, it is difficult to see the one on the left clear enough to make a determination. If the belly is pink, it is definitely female (which is what I see from your picture).

OP
S

Sam999

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The reason why it is hard to see is because the dominate male boxed the lesser one into the corner. But they both have pointed fins and no pink belly's, sorry its so hard to see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 60 65.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 19.6%

Top Bottom