it looks like all my fish are about to die !!!!!

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by Narcicius, Apr 12, 2010.

1. NarciciusWell Known MemberMember

i came home from spring break to find out that i was gifted some fish, except they were from wal-mart, as i looked into the tank i noticed my zebras were swimming erratically. Then i see that all of them have a brown discoloration to them, and my gouramis have a green color on their "chest" area. none of my fish look or act well i have no idea whats going on and i dont know what to do. someone please help i have never had any health issues with my fish and i'm beggining to panic.

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

I'm really sorry about your fish :(

If you could fill in your aquarium information completely, it's found on the blue bar at the top of the page under My Settings.

Without all this information, it's hard to give advice.

Thank you and I hope things get better.

3. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

We need to know how big the tank is, what the water parameters are, what stock is in the tank, etc. I'm sorry your fish aren't well.

4. OP
    OP
    N

NarciciusWell Known MemberMember

I filled in as much about the tank in my personal profile as i could, but im not home so I cant be to specific. I'm just worried about the discoloration on the fish and their behavior. Never read anything like this so far so I have no idea what's going on. But im fairly sure it has to do with the wal-mart gouramis that were dumped into the tank. They looked ok but the rest of the fish in my tank look really bad.

5. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

You have 5 gouramis in a 29 gallon tank? :eek:

6. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

Who takes care of your fish when you're gone? And how often are water changes done on the tank?

Sorry your fish are sick. That's never any fun.

7. OP
    OP
    N

Well I was only gone for spring break, im home every day other than that, and the two pearls are like 2 inches long and the dwarfs are around and inch, so its no big deal at the moment, and I'm still waiting for an explanation and a solution for the discoloration. My zebras are brown, and the pearls are green where the orange is supposed to be on their chest area.

water changes done atleast every other week, but every week when applicable.

8. Lucy

When you get home test the water and post the readings for ammonia nitrites and nitrates.
    Could be there's some bullying going on, an ammonia spike or the fish were ill and brought something in with them.

If you can get a pic up, that might help.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  9. OP
    OP
    N

the only apparent variably are the wal-mart fish, and i say wal-mart because they aren't really known for their expertise in fish care. So i just need to know what i need to cure them, is this some kind of fungus, or bacteria, or maybe a parasite. I don't know I just want to save my fish. By their look and the way they were acting they may be dead already. Hopefully not so if i could get a suggestion i could grab something on the way home to maybe save them. All i had in my house at the time was some prime and a bottle of stress coat. I put a lidful of stresscoat in before i left. So any advice on the discoloration, something common among poorly maintained fish. I just need something here.

10. Lucy

We know you're worried, but no one can positively say what's going on at this point.
    Pics and water parameters might help figure out what's going on.

11. OP
    OP
    N

Well, I'm not home and won't be until about 4 o'clock eastern time, i can tell you that it has nothing to do with the water paramaters, and its definitely not something that can't survive in higher temperatures. All i know is that my danios are the color of a nasty brown algae and they are very stressed out, and the orange flare on a pearl gouramis "chest" is now green. It has to be something from the wal-mart survivors except that they are fairly vibrant given the situation. Im guessing that its a fungus, but i don't want to do anything drastic to get my inverts killed

12. LyndaB

LyndaBFishlore LegendMember

I have to agree with Lucy. If anybody took a guess right now, it'd be just that, a guess. And that wouldn't help you or your fish.

Solid information from you helps us help you.

13. brokenwingWell Known MemberMember

to really help we need your water parameters

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice