It is a very sad day

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by candle, Mar 23, 2010.

1. c

candle New Member Member

I woke up this morning to my molly giving birth to eggs that are in all diff stages. My dwarf frog looks like he's had a feast. I only have seen 4 baby's out about 30 i can count alive and they are still attached to the egg as well. I don't know what to do or why this happen. :( My molly is exactly 1month and 2 day in pregnancy so i know its not an early birth. But she has been swimming vertically for a week and i have yet to figure out what is wrong with her.
    I feel like a big failure :-[

2. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry...... :console:

3. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

Mollies are livebearers, they do not lay eggs. Have you tested your water parameters lately?

Dont be too hard on yourself, at least you are trying to figure things out....

Good Luck

4. OP
    OP
    c

candle New Member Member

hours later zero survival babies :( but she still look pregnant

5. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

if they have egg sacs, its probably your frog spawning...all the other fish you have listed are fish that give birth to live fish not eggs as red advised...either that or your livebearers gave birth prematurely :( can you give us a test for your ammonia/nitrites/nitrates as of right now?

6. OP
    OP
    c

candle New Member Member

test
    ammonia 4.0 (i'v been water changing everyday 50%)
    nitrite .25pm
    nitrate 0
    this was after birth, it seem the ammonia sky rocketed cause yesterday it was .50
    I did a water change, took out most of the gravel. there was about 100 babies. For sure it is my molly cause i was able to witness her drop a few eggs and some of the fish where out of the egg but still connected to it. I think she is still pregnant though cause she is not as big but still looks like she is carrying. I put my frog in my main tank for now just in case she gives birth again.

7. OP
    OP
    c

candle New Member Member

also i want to note that I have not seen my molly "potty"in a while. lol not exactly the proper word but you get it.

8. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

any ammonia is deadly :(
    mollies do NOT lay eggs unless she releases them prematurely...she is a livebearer which means her babies come out as whole baby fish .if the ammonia was present at all, and now is so much higher, she probably is very stressed and gave birth before she was ready...you need to find some prime or amquel+ and do at least a 50% water change now and one a few hours later before all your fish pass...:( 4.0 is almost unsurvivable...I wish you and your fish well!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice