It finally happened ... I got ich

SinisterCichlids

Hello all,

Obviously ich is the most common disease to infect our aquariums. I have been the one lucky soul who never had to deal with it ... until today.
Usually, because I ALWAYS QT, but this time I said "eh who cares, there is only pictus catfish in the tank" BIG MISTAKE

I want to treat the entire tank, I see it on my pictus catfish and one of my peacocks. I know the culprit was the peacock, because I just bought him and three others from a very well known reputable online seller. I will not use names, because I sent them an email about the problem; depending on how they respond and take responsibility determines if I will bash them across the internet. Enough of me rambling here are my questions, answer as many or as little as you can:

1. What is the best ich product you have ever used or known of? I am thinking about going with ich-x
2. What temperature can I raise the tank to without injuring peacocks or pictus catfish? The temperature is currently 79.9 and I think I can get it up to 86, let me know...
3. What are the signs that my peacock or catfish is stressed from the higher temperature?
4. What brand of salts are we talking here? The catfish will have a problem with salts correct? So maybe i
5. What kinda water changes should I be doing?

Basically give me your experiences, and not basic advice unless I missed something.

jkkgron2

I personally always use heat to treat ich. As long as you catch it in the early stages that’s the least stressful way IMO. I’m not sure how severe your case is but if it’s only a few spots of ich then I wouldn’t get any meds. Some signs of stress to look out for are heavy breathing and also lethargic or inactive fish.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

I personally always use heat to treat ich. As long as you catch it in the early stages that’s the least stressful way IMO. I’m not sure how severe your case is but if it’s only a few spots of ich then I wouldn’t get any meds. Some signs of stress to look out for are heavy breathing and also lethargic or inactive fish.
Thank you. I am nervous about increasing the temperature too high with the pictus catifsh. It is typicaly 79.9 and I am raising it. Currently at 80.2 and counting. I dont have any products for ich, so I rather just buy the product in case this gets worse. Also I heard this stuff can stain the silicone in your aquarium. UGH

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

We had ich in the platy tank a few years ago. My wife chose meds because we didnt have an adjustable heater in there at the time. We used the ich med by that Jungle brand they have at walmart. I will say it was effective. The fish were good to go after that.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

We had ich in the platy tank a few years ago. My wife chose meds because we didn't have an adjustable heater in there at the time. We used the ich med by that Jungle brand they have at walmart. I will say it was effective. The fish were good to go after that.

Unfortunately, I have to treat 75 gallons ... this should be fun !!! It is only a few spots right now. Mostly on the pictus which is of no surprise. I don't have any meds or salt, I will go grab it tomorrow in case this gets worse. Currently all I can do is raise the temp. Just did a water change of about 20% because I just did one yesterday. In my mind, Id like to believe I sucked up a lot of ich in the water column by doing so hahaha. I was thinking of maybe taking the rocks out and running them under hot water, but I dont know if that will really do anything.

Tank parameters as of right now:
pH: 8.1
Temp: 81.0 and climbing
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

Upvote 0

LeviS

I've used the jungle brand from Walmart, its actually pretty reputable product. I haven't seen/found any ich treatment that won't stain everything in the aquarium. Lol my heater was blue for 2 years afterwards. I treated it in my 40 breeder no more than 3 months ago and it didn't stain anything like it did my 37 gallon tank. Ich was gone by 2nd dose. I didn't notice any behavior with any of the fish.
Note: Don't take this comment as judging as its just a statement but before you go posting online about someone and their business id probably heavily research ich as there are 2 sides/beliefs. One of them is ich is always there in the water or with new fish but stress triggers it (outbreak)to be what we see as ich( all the white spots). I tend to follow that crowd as I've had fish well beyond a quarantine and one day out of nowhere with no new fish added they get ich.

Upvote 0

TheWalkman

I got ich two years ago in the middle of stocking a 180 that’s when I learned how expensive it is to have a big tank.
I ended up treating with ich-x and raised the temp to around 82 I think. I just followed the ich-X directions far as dosing and watcher changes and I was fine after that.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

I got ich two years ago in the middle of stocking a 180 that’s when I learned how expensive it is to have a big tank.
I ended up treating with ich-x and raised the temp to around 82 I think. I just followed the ich-X directions far as dosing and watcher changes and I was fine after that.

Awesome thanks. What did you have in the tank? I think I am going to go with ich-x also. It didn't dye your silicon edges on your tank a different color did it? Also did you have any carbon or did you remove it? I have some premade carbon filters in my HOB's on the back. Probably going to have to remove those once I start dosing.

My fish keeping luck has been really down hill the past few months. Lost a lot of fish due to aggression. So decided I would treat myself to some new fish and BAM ... ich !

Upvote 0

GlennO

Use an Ich med that contains formaldehyde & malachite green. Ich-X is one of those. Or use heat instead. In that case you’ll need to achieve 86+F and hold it there. Most tropical fish and plants can cope fine with that for at least a couple of weeks. Warmer water contains less oxygen so adding an air stone and/or creating additional surface turbulence is often recommended.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

Use an Ich med that contains formaldehyde & malachite green. Ich-X is one of those. Or use heat instead. In that case you’ll need to achieve 86+F and hold it there. Most tropical fish and plants can cope fine with that for at least a couple of weeks. Warmer water contains less oxygen so adding an air stone and/or creating additional surface turbulence is often recommended.

Yes, but I don't think pictus will tolerate 86 degrees. No plants so that isn't a problem. Might add an airstone, but thinking of just lowering the water level so the HOBs can create surface agitation.

Upvote 0

GlennO

Yes, but I don't think pictus will tolerate 86 degrees. No plants so that isn't a problem. Might add an airstone, but thinking of just lowering the water level so the HOBs can create surface agitation.

I don't know much about Pictus but why do you think they won't tolerate it? If you're using meds instead of heat there's no need to raise the temp above 80F. Pictus are scale-less, so be careful with meds and monitor them closely.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

I don't know much about Pictus but why do you think they won't tolerate it? If you're using meds instead of heat there's no need to raise the temp above 80F. Pictus are scale-less, so be careful with meds and monitor them closely.

I don't entirely agree with not raising temperature while using meds. The point of raising the temperature is to speed up the life cycle of the ich. You can only treat ich when it is in the water column, not on the fish. So if you raise the temperature, you speed up the life cycle, which makes it possible to kill the ich when it is in the water. I hope that made sense haha.

Most online information says pictus can be kept between 75 - 81. My tank is typically 79.9 degrees. Maybe they will be ok with 84+ I'm not sure. Definitely concerned about using ich-x with the scaleless pictus.

Upvote 0

GlennO

I don't entirely agree with not raising temperature while using meds. The point of raising the temperature is to speed up the life cycle of the ich. You can only treat ich when it is in the water column, not on the fish. So if you raise the temperature, you speed up the life cycle, which makes it possible to kill the ich when it is in the water. I hope that made sense haha.

Most online information says pictus can be kept between 75 - 81. My tank is typically 79.9 degrees. Maybe they will be ok with 84+ I'm not sure. Definitely concerned about using ich-x with the scaleless pictus.

Yes raising the temp will speed up the life cycle but only to a point - the life cycle is fastest at about 80F. Raising it further won't speed it up any more and is only done to stop it reproducing which occurs at 86F+.

Yes that's a typical preferred temp range for warm water fish. Most can handle higher temps temporarily.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

Simply use a med OR heat OR salt.
To me Ich-X doesn't ask to raise the temp or add salt.

The biggest risk fish encounter is the hunan factor using all possible treatments at the same time.

And about bashing the LFS. Even reputable LFS's might sell fish that will show Ich when they arrive in your tank. It could be unnoticed or even only invisible / free swimming parasites in the water (no spots).
So bashing over the internet is something a lot of reputable LFS's don't deserve cause they can't really be blamed.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

Yes raising the temp will speed up the life cycle but only to a point - the life cycle is fastest at about 80F. Raising it further won't speed it up any more and is only done to stop it reproducing which occurs at 86F+.

Yes that's a typical preferred temp range for warm water fish. Most can handle higher temps temporarily.

Oh okay thank you for explaining that.
Simply use a med OR heat OR salt.
To me Ich-X doesn't ask to raise the temp or add salt.

The biggest risk fish encounter is the hunan factor using all possible treatments at the same time.

And about bashing the LFS. Even reputable LFS's might sell fish that will show Ich when they arrive in your tank. It could be unnoticed or even only invisible / free swimming parasites in the water (no spots).
So bashing over the internet is something a lot of reputable LFS's don't deserve cause they can't really be blamed.

I don't agree with not using temp and salt or temp and med. You cannot kill the parasite currently on the fish, you can only kill it when it is unattached to a host. The whole point of raising the temperature is to speed up the life cycle of ich so it detaches from the host. That is when your medicine is effective. The lifespan and cycle of ich greatly reduce from a tank that is 77 degrees to 84 degrees...

Also this is going to sound extremely pessimistic here, but why would a company tell you to do something other than buy more of their product? If the directions on the ich meds said "you dont need to buy me, just raise the temp" no one would buy it. They effectively sell more product that way because without raising the temperature the lifecycle is prolonged which = more ich meds = more money in their pockets.

Yeah, I understand ich is super common and it happens all the time to everyone at some point. I am not upset that I received ill fish, especially because they weren't showing symptoms of anything out of the bag. But I will be very upset if they try and push the blame onto me and do not own up to their mistake. Worst case scenario I cant treat the ich, I am out $250 in fish, and the company says "its your problem". If they respond positively and try to work with me, I will order from them again and have no issues. Basically the ball is in their court. Also, it isn't a LFS, it is a reputable online seller.

Upvote 0

DoubleDutch

I don't agree with not using temp and salt or temp and med. You cannot kill the parasite currently on the fish, you can only kill it when it is unattached to a host. The whole point of raising the temperature is to speed up the life cycle of ich so it detaches from the host. That is when your medicine is effective. The lifespan and cycle of ich greatly reduce from a tank that is 77 degrees to 84 degrees...

Also this is going to sound extremely pessimistic here, but why would a company tell you to do something other than buy more of their product? If the directions on the ich meds said "you dont need to buy me, just raise the temp" no one would buy it. They effectively sell more product that way because without raising the temperature the lifecycle is prolonged which = more ich meds = more money in their pockets.

Yeah, I understand ich is super common and it happens all the time to everyone at some point. I am not upset that I received ill fish, especially because they weren't showing symptoms of anything out of the bag. But I will be very upset if they try and push the blame onto me and do not own up to their mistake. Worst case scenario I cant treat the ich, I am out $250 in fish, and the company says "its your problem". If they respond positively and try to work with me, I will order from them again and have no issues. Basically the ball is in their court. Also, it isn't a LFS, it is a reputable online seller.
I disagree. Several brands / products mention the need to raise the temp (not up to 86F so not to treat but only to speed up the life cycle). Others simply don't.

So raising the temp is different than treating Ich with the heat method.

All methods have pros and definitely cons and can lower oxygen levels and give fish a hard time.

Therefor I stand for my opinion : Use one method only. Most dead fish are the result of using all at the same time.

If fish can't bare heath, than use meds.
If fish don't bare meds, than use heath.
Also depending on the grade of infestation.
Sometimes one hasn't the timespan to use the heat method.

Agree

Agree with the latter. Just had a discussion with an account manager of an insurance company. I told him to quit laying the responsibility for their fault with the insured people or the agent. Some empathy and self reflection is a good thing.
But lets wait what they have to say.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

I disagree. Several brands / products mention the need to raise the temp (not up to 86F so not to treat but only to speed up the life cycle). Others simply don't.

So raising the temp is different than treating Ich with the heat method.

All methods have pros and definitely cons and can lower oxygen levels and give fish a hard time.

Therefor I stand for my opinion : Use one method only. Most dead fish are the result of using all at the same time.

If fish can't bare heath, than use meds.
If fish don't bare meds, than use heath.
Also depending on the grade of infestation.
Sometimes one hasn't the timespan to use the heat method.

Agree

Agree with the latter. Just had a discussion with an account manager of an insurance company. I told him to quit laying the responsibility for their fault with the insured people or the agent. Some empathy and self reflection is a good thing.
But lets wait what they have to say.

Man don't even get me started on insurance companies, the biggest Ponzi scheme to ever exist since taxes, or Bernie Madoff. Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it! Question for you, I really am nervous about the pictus catfish. I would prefer to treat with just heat because I think I did catch it early.
I just know the ich is going to come back with a vengeance once it multiples in the water column. pictus are the worst when it comes to this too, moving crazy fast, back and forth bumping into everything imaginable. I don't know what I was thinking adding the peacocks with them.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Man don't even get me started on insurance companies, the biggest Ponzi scheme to ever exist since taxes, or Bernie Madoff. Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it! Question for you, I really am nervous about the pictus catfish. I would prefer to treat with just heat because I think I did catch it early.
I just know the ich is going to come back with a vengeance once it multiples in the water column. pictus are the worst when it comes to this too, moving crazy fast, back and forth bumping into everything imaginable. I don't know what I was thinking adding the peacocks with them.
If you raise the temp to 86°F for 2-3 weeks then that should kill all the ich. Once you get to 86°F the ich will stop reproducing so you won’t need to worry about it multiplying. The pictus should be ok with the heat. It would be more stressful on it to use meds.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

If you raise the temp to 86°F for 2-3 weeks then that should kill all the ich. Once you get to 86°F the ich will stop reproducing so you won’t need to worry about it multiplying. The pictus should be ok with the heat. It would be more stressful on it to use meds.
Great news thank you, I was trying to weigh the pros and cons of temperature or treating it. . Hopefully, I can get my temperature up that high! It was at 79.9 yesterday and now is at 82.0 and climbing.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

Unfortunately, the temperature method (85+) was not working too well. With my luck and the year being 2020, it is probably a strain of ich unaffected by heat hahaha.

I'm using ich-x by Hikari for about 3 days and the difference is really wonderful. The only fish that have or had 1+ white spots were the catfish of course. They were very stressed and not eating, but now have dramatically fewer spots, are eating, more relaxed, and not flashing as hard. No fish loss. I have treated the main tank and was worried about it staining my silicone, but have not had an issue so far. I'm removing 1/3 tank water every 24 hours and dosing the tank with the recommended amount.

My peacocks all seem fine, no flashing, scratching, and eating like champs. They seemed pretty unphased by the ich throughout this process. I expect the visible ich on the fish to be gone within a few days at this rate. I was thinking of treating the tank for another week since the ich-x or temperature really didn't cause any added stress to the tank.

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Heat...meds...the important thing is there is progress!

Upvote 0

Unknown9182

Unfortunately, the temperature method (85+) was not working too well. With my luck and the year being 2020, it is probably a strain of ich unaffected by heat hahaha.

I'm using ich-x by Hikari for about 3 days and the difference is really wonderful. The only fish that have or had 1+ white spots were the catfish of course. They were very stressed and not eating, but now have dramatically fewer spots, are eating, more relaxed, and not flashing as hard. No fish loss. I have treated the main tank and was worried about it staining my silicone, but have not had an issue so far. I'm removing 1/3 tank water every 24 hours and dosing the tank with the recommended amount.

My peacocks all seem fine, no flashing, scratching, and eating like champs. They seemed pretty unphased by the ich throughout this process. I expect the ich to be gone within a few days. I was thinking of treating the tank for another week since the ich-x or temperature really didn't cause any added stress to the tank.
I went through the same dilemma you did, TWICE. By reading the recent posts it seems like you are making very good progress in eradicating ich. Also the point of the heat method is to reduce the amount of medication needed to treat (time). More heat means more parasites exposed to medicine which means it will take less time to kill the parasite. When I did the heat method I saw a drastic decrease in spots on my fish after 4 days or so and then I topped off with a cherry on top which was ich-x. Good luck and hope your fish come out healthy and happy and parasite free.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

I went through the same dilemma you did, TWICE. By reading the recent posts it seems like you are making very good progress in eradicating ich. Also the point of the heat method is to reduce the amount of medication needed to treat (time). More heat means more parasites exposed to medicine which means it will take less time to kill the parasite. When I did the heat method I saw a drastic decrease in spots on my fish after 4 days or so and then I topped off with a cherry on top which was ich-x. Good luck and hope your fish come out healthy and happy and parasite free.

Thank you. I was really nervous to use medications because I usually shy away from that kind of stuff as a last resort. I tried just using heat, but it's cold where I live. I noticed the catfish were significantly worse after 4 days with just heat. So I sucked it up and bought ich-x. Hopefully, I will never use their product again, but I am happy I found something that worked! Thank you for replying!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I think ich-x is one of the ones safe for scale-less fish too. The stuff we have used in the past is not. Was effective though. Just a good thing we didn't have any cories at the time.

Upvote 0

Unknown9182

I used ich-x and nothing bad happen, my 2 pictus were on the verge of death (probably would’ve of died if I delayed heat treatment by a day or two), I had corys (5), a bn pleco, otos, and even ghost catfish. None of them reacted negatively and ich-x is good for fungal infections which one of my pictus caught on its fin as an aftermath of a net tangle (fungus is gone). I used to fiddle around with meds to and this medicine is the holy grail of ich medicine.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

I used ich-x and nothing bad happen, my 2 pictus were on the verge of death (probably would’ve of died if I delayed heat treatment by a day or two), I had corys (5), a bn pleco, otos, and even ghost catfish. None of them reacted negatively and ich-x is good for fungal infections which one of my pictus caught on its fin as an aftermath of a net tangle (fungus is gone). I used to fiddle around with meds to and this medicine is the holy grail of ich medicine.

Yeah, I agree and that's so funny I had a similar problem with one of my pictus a little while back. I was moving some fish over into another tank and the pictus decided to B-line it right into the net and get himself all tangled up in it. I don't know of many fish that run into nets, but he is one of them!

It took a few hours to get him untangled by carefully cutting the net. I thought he was a goner just from the stress alone. I even dropped him one time on the floor during it because he cut my hand while I was trying to save him. He swam around the tank for a few days with a little bit of net on his fin until it finally came off. Somehow no negative issues due to it.

haha, I am imagining the ich-x medicine dying your ghost catifsh blue! Rare strain of ghost catfish, very limited quantities!

Upvote 0

Unknown9182

Yeah, I agree and that's so funny I had a similar problem with one of my pictus a little while back. I was moving some fish over into another tank and the pictus decided to B-line it right into the net and get himself all tangled up in it. I don't know of many fish that run into nets, but he is one of them!

It took a few hours to get him untangled by carefully cutting the net. I thought he was a goner just from the stress alone. I even dropped him one time on the floor during it because he cut my hand while I was trying to save him. He swam around the tank for a few days with a little bit of net on his fin until it finally came off. Somehow no negative issues due to it.

haha, I am imagining the ich-x medicine dying your ghost catifsh blue! Rare strain of ghost catfish, very limited quantities!
Same thing happened to me with the net, happened with both of my pictus, he was swimming around with a small piece and then it fell off. Before I knew it there was a fungal infection but I was dosing ich-x at the time time a few days later a small piece of his fin (hard part) fell off. my bigger pictus, I had to do a physical examination of the white spots on him And he got stuck in the net, I dropped him but not badly. I thought he was going to die because when I put him back in he had trouble staying on the bottom (he was starting to rise to the top slowly, like a balloon). But he recovered an hour later and currently both of my pictus are very happy and healthy, they are very very voracious eaters. They both eat 3-4 catfish wafers a day. my bigger pictus is possibly responsible for three fish missing, a small platy, a least killifish, and a small zebra danio. I found him in the morning with a big belly after each disappearance. They are funny to watch after they eat a big meal big belly’s.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

Same thing happened to me with the net, happened with both of my pictus, he was swimming around with a small piece and then it fell off. Before I knew it there was a fungal infection but I was dosing ich-x at the time time a few days later a small piece of his fin (hard part) fell off. my bigger pictus, I had to do a physical examination of the white spots on him And he got stuck in the net, I dropped him but not badly. I thought he was going to die because when I put him back in he had trouble staying on the bottom (he was starting to rise to the top slowly, like a balloon). But he recovered an hour later and currently both of my pictus are very happy and healthy, they are very very voracious eaters. They both eat 3-4 catfish wafers a day. my bigger pictus is possibly responsible for three fish missing, a small platy, a least killifish, and a small zebra danio. I found him in the morning with a big belly after each disappearance. They are funny to watch after they eat a big meal big belly’s.

Haha I love pictus! They are crazy fast and have a lot of energy, but very predatory I agree. I know they ate an entire school of neon tetras in 48 hours. There was no trace of them, the pictus just didn't eat any of the wafers for a few days after that...

Wow, I have heard of this happening to fish where they temporarily damage their swim bladders but somehow are able to pull it together and make it through. Any issues I had with aggression that ended up in damaged swim bladders resulted in death within hours. When I dropped my pictus, I thought that was definitely the end. By the time I got him in the tank after a few hours, he was so stressed! He was just laying on a rock in a weird position. By the next day, he was back to normal. They can definitely endure a lot!!

In good news, I just medicated the tank for the day and there are no more white spots on the pictus which had it the worst. Going to medicate a few more days to ensure that it is 100% gone.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

Man that stuff stains!!!! I got it on my hand once and it didn’t come off for like a week and now the silicone in my tank it’s blue. I just got a new tank and the clean look was so refreshing

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

Haha I love pictus! They are crazy fast and have a lot of energy, but very predatory I agree. I know they ate an entire school of neon tetras in 48 hours. There was no trace of them, the pictus just didn't eat any of the wafers for a few days after that...

Wow, I have heard of this happening to fish where they temporarily damage their swim bladders but somehow are able to pull it together and make it through. Any issues I had with aggression that ended up in damaged swim bladders resulted in death within hours. When I dropped my pictus, I thought that was definitely the end. By the time I got him in the tank after a few hours, he was so stressed! He was just laying on a rock in a weird position. By the next day, he was back to normal. They can definitely endure a lot!!

In good news, I just medicated the tank for the day and there are no more white spots on the pictus which had it the worst. Going to medicate a few more days to ensure that it is 100% gone.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

Man that stuff stains!!!! I got it on my hand once and it didn’t come off for like a week and now the silicone in my tank it’s blue. I just got a new tank and the clean look was so refreshing

I have been dosing ich-x for 4 days now. So roughly 20 teaspoons in the tank. I haven't noticed any staining except on a breeder box suction cup I left on the glass haha. It doesn't look like it stained the silicone or the stuff in my tank. Hope it stays that way!

I was actually really nervous about that just before. I dosed the tank and I noticed a rock fell over and I was going to leave it, but then got nervous that a fish was stuck underneath it. So stuck my arm in the blue water, moved it, and then washed my arm off in the sink for like 5 minutes.

Upvote 0

Unknown9182

I have been dosing ich-x for 4 days now. So roughly 20 teaspoons in the tank. I haven't noticed any staining except on a breeder box suction cup I left on the glass haha. It doesn't look like it stained the silicone or the stuff in my tank. Hope it stays that way!

I was actually really nervous about that just before. I dosed the tank and I noticed a rock fell over and I was going to leave it, but then got nervous that a fish was stuck underneath it. So stuck my arm in the blue water, moved it, and then washed my arm off in the sink for like 5 minutes.
Ich-X didn’t stain anything in my tank except the suction cup on my fish isolator, continue dosing an extra 3 days after last seeing the spots to ensure no survivors are left because it only takes one parasite to start a whole outbreak. I bet your starting to feel a lot more relaxed.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

Ich-X didn’t stain anything in my tank except the suction cup on my fish isolator, continue dosing an extra 3 days after last seeing the spots to ensure no survivors are left because it only takes one parasite to start a whole outbreak. I bet your starting to feel a lot more relaxed.

That is so funny that all ich-x stained in our tank was a suction cup hahaha. Yeah, I bought the smaller bottle of ich-x I probably have 3+ days left so I am just going to finish up the bottle. Yes, I am fully confident all of my fish are going to survive at this point. I was really just concerned about the catfish, but today they are eating and zooming around the tank like nothing happened. Luckily the peacocks never showed many symptoms of ich and they take pretty well to medicine, heat, salts etc. Thank you for commenting!

Upvote 0

Unknown9182

That is so funny that all ich-x stained in our tank was a suction cup hahaha. Yeah, I bought the smaller bottle of ich-x I probably have 3+ days left so I am just going to finish up the bottle. Yes, I am fully confident all of my fish are going to survive at this point. I was really just concerned about the catfish, but today they are eating and zooming around the tank like nothing happened. Luckily the peacocks never showed many symptoms of ich and they take pretty well to medicine, heat, salts etc. Thank you for commenting!
Is the ich all gone? If so continue treating an extra 2-3 days and don’t overfeed. Continue with the daily water changes. Once you with hit 3 days of medication, do one last water change and slowly lower the temp. Then on the next day (optional) what I did was i did a half dose of ich-x but no water change and then next day put in the filter cartridges. Good luck.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

Is the ich all gone? If so continue treating an extra 2-3 days and don’t overfeed. Continue with the daily water changes. Once you with hit 3 days of medication, do one last water change and slowly lower the temp. Then on the next day (optional) what I did was i did a half dose of ich-x but no water change and then next day put in the filter cartridges. Good luck.

Yeah, no sign of ich for 48 hours. No signs of flashing or discomfort. I am going to start lowering the temperature back down today. I have a few more doses left in the bottle. The plan is to just keep doing a water change and medicating until the bottle is finished. Might get another two days out of the bottle.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Unknown9182
Replies
Views
gretta23
Replies
Views
awilkinson871
Replies