It Begins... 40B African Cichlid Tank - Page 2

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Ok I see.. but why would I need to get a synodontis in the first place? is what I am confused about.
The question why not there small cute catfish that pic up any leftover food.

Dom90

That's true. Do they clean algae too? Can they handle mbuna aggression?

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
That's true. Do they clean algae too? Can they handle mbuna aggression?
No they don't have a sucker mouth, there african catfish they can handle a mbuna tank I have 8 in my mbuna tank. If you have algae problem u can also get a BN pleco.

Dom90

Can a BN pleco handle the high pH of A. cichlid tank, and the mbuna aggression? lol... I read in other forums where BN plecos were killed by mbunas...

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Can a BN pleco handle the high pH of A. cichlid tank, and the mbuna aggression? lol... I read in other forums where BN plecos were killed by mbunas...
Yes they can had one in my 55 mbuna tank. The key to making work is get a bn bigger then your fish. So if you have juvies that are 1in you get a 2-3in BN pleco.

Dom90

Ok I'll get a BN pleco only when I get algae then.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Ok I'll get a BN pleco only when I get algae then.
That's what I'm doing with my 75mbuna tank I would only get one once algae starts growing which it hasnt. I thingur going to have to learn how to vent your mbunas.

Dom90

Dumb question, I shouldnt have much algae if I don't have any plants or no nutrients (liquid ferts) right?

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Dumb question, I shouldnt have much algae if I don't have any plants or no nutrients (liquid ferts) right?
If u don't over feed and the light is on schedule u shouldnt that's why my 75 has no algae. Ima have to stop responding lol this whole threat is just me and a few ppl.

Dom90

I'm probably only going to run a show LED, since I know mbunas destroy and uproot plants anyway. So there won't be any live plants.

Lol call it mbuna tank consulting

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
I'm probably only going to run a show LED, since I know mbunas destroy and uproot plants anyway. So there won't be any live plants.
I love the shimmering effect led give makes a tank look way cooler.

Geoff

What does venting mean?

Dom90

You stock like 7 or 8 mbunas, and then weed out enough to get the proper male to female ratio.

LeoDiaz

Geoff said:
What does venting mean?
Is when you look a fish junk to see if you have a male or female fish basiclly lol. Dom if you getting juvies ill get 10just in case u end up with to many males.

Dom90

Yea probably a good idea. Whoa what are royal cichlids? They look beautiful.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Yea probably a good idea. Whoa what are royal cichlids? They look beautiful.
Idk any fish called royal cichlid but there proably peacock cichlid another fish from lake malawi.

Dom90

Typed in "royal cichlid" on google and got this:

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Typed in "royal cichlid" on google and got this:
Yes those are peacock cichlid males are super colorful but females are dull. They get big 5/6inch. But there more laid back then mbunas and rather peaceful but not all of them.

Dom90

Hmm, probably wouldnt work for my tank then.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Hmm, probably wouldnt work for my tank then.
Nope to big they need atleast a 55. My favorite part of setting up a mbuna tank is the aquascaping.

Dom90

So we finally assembled the steel rack with two shelves so it acts like a double stand. Now we go and buy a background for both tanks.

Geoff

Pictures!

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
So we finally assembled the steel rack with two shelves so it acts like a double stand. Now we go and buy a background for both tanks.
just paint it uness ur getting a 3d background.

Dom90

Yep that's what we're doing. Then I gotta go buy either tomorrow or Wednesday.

BDpups

LeoDiaz said:
Is like crushed coral. Not good. Just go with pool filter sand mbuna love and ur wife will love that u just spend $10 on sand instead of $40.
Crushed coral and Aragonite sand are both fine and both help to keep the PH a bit higher. That's why they are suggested for African cichlid tanks. They are not necessary. But both are fine to use.
Dom90 said:
How are you raising the PH?

LeoDiaz

BDpups said:
Crushed coral and Aragonite sand are both fine and both help to keep the PH a bit higher. That's why they are suggested for African cichlid tanks. They are not necessary. But both are fine to use.

Some people used it but it doesn't resemble real sand. You will never see a hardcore cichlid keeper use it. He is going to buffer anything he has a good ph out of the tap.

BDpups

LeoDiaz said:
Some people used it but it doesn't resemble real sand. You will never see a hardcore cichlid keeper use it. He is going to buffer anything he has a good ph out of the tap.
I've seen more than a few "hardcore" cichlid keeper use it. They are both one substrate that will actually do what it says. Raise the PH. Aragonite sand is, sand. It looks like sand because it is sand. And crushed coral greatly resembles the ruble of the Rift Lakes. Which in why it is commonly used is African Cichlid tanks.

Dom90

BDpups said:
The pH of my tap water is about 8 so I don't really need to buffer it. Just going to use pool filter sand or black diamond sand, or a mix of both most likely.

BDpups

Dom90 said:
Dom90 said:
The pH of my tap water is about 8 so I don't really need to buffer it. Just going to use pool filter sand or black diamond sand, or a mix of both most likely.
So the PH is no longer a concern for the pleco? And have you tested your water's PH after it has sat out overnight?

LeoDiaz

BDpups said:
I've seen more than a few "hardcore" cichlid keeper use it. They are both one substrate that will actually do what it says. Raise the PH. Aragonite sand is, sand. It looks like sand because it is sand. And crushed coral greatly resembles the ruble of the Rift Lakes. Which in why it is commonly used is African Cichlid tanks.
he doesn't really need if his ph is good already Mark I guy ik 40+ tank uses PFS for all his african cichlid tank. He has never used crushed or aragonite because like dom and me he has a good ph out of the tap.

Dom90

BDpups said:
So the PH is no longer a concern for the pleco? And have you tested your water's PH after it has sat out overnight?
Yes I tested my pH when I first got the 75 gallon and it's around 8 or so. I will worry about BN pleco when I have an algae problem.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Yes I tested my pH when I first got the 75 gallon and it's around 8 or so. I will worry about BN pleco when I have an algae problem.
Just acclimate them many african cichlid keeper have one in there tank.

BDpups

Dom90 said:
The pleco will be fine. And in a 40 breeder that you are filling with mbuna, I would not waste valuable tank space on a 6 inch fish that is a huge waste producer. You are the best algae cleaner. Not another fish. I would fill your tank with cichlid if those are what you want. And not worry about catfish.

LeoDiaz

BDpups said:
The pleco will be fine. And in a 40 breeder that you are filling with mbuna, I would not waste valuable tank space on a 6 inch fish that is a huge waste producer. You are the best algae cleaner. Not another fish. I would fill your tank with cichlid if those are what you want. And not worry about catfish.
Told him to fill with dwarf but he want only a few that's why I recommended some synos to fill the space the mbunas could have used.

BDpups

Dom90 said:
Not bad, but I am wondering if this is cheaper
LeoDiaz said:
Is like crushed coral. Not good. Just go with pool filter sand mbuna love and ur wife will love that u just spend $10 on sand instead of $40.
LeoDiaz said:
he doesn't really need if his ph is good already Mark I guy ik 40+ tank uses PFS for all his african cichlid tank. He has never used crushed or aragonite because like dom and me he has a good ph out of the tap.
@LeoDiaz

You said aragonite sand is like crushed coral. " Not good" is what you said about it.
Pool filter sand, coal slag, inert colored gravel, even bare bottom is fine for a African cichlid tank.

@Dom90
You seem to be getting questionable advice about lots of things. Good luck with your new tank.

LeoDiaz

BDpups said:
@LeoDiaz

You said aragonite sand is like crushed coral. " Not good" is what you said about it.
Pool filter sand, coal slag, inert colored gravel, even bare bottom is fine for a African cichlid tank.

@Dom90
You seem to be getting questionable advice about lots of things. Good luck with your new tank.
I seen arogonite at my local petsmart I doest look like regular sand to me unless they cary some other type. U can use whatever u want in you tank but you won't see all the natural behaivor of mbunas with gravel like substrates. A bare bottom will be pretty boring to mbunas they would have anything better to then stir up some trouble. I don't like debating so BD you can take it from here ill be turning notification off from this thread.

Dom90

Geoff

I encountered a problem. I was going to run a Fluval 106 canister with an Aqueon Quietflow 20 on the 40B. But the frame of the tank of the 40 is too big for the HOB to hook onto.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
I encountered a problem. I was going to run a Fluval 106 canister with an Aqueon Quietflow 20 on the 40B. But the frame of the tank of the 40 is too big for the HOB to hook onto.
There not much you can unless you cut into the frame but why damage your brand new tank. Your going to need another filter. Can u used the hob for the 29?

Dom90

Yea I probably could and get like another 100 or 150 GPH for the 29 and run two

Somebody was selling used aquarium stuff at a garage sale a year ago a few houses down and I got filter and heater for like $10 lol

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Yea I probably could and get like another 100 or 150 GPH for the 29 and run two
So 2 hob for the 29? And just one canister on the 40?

Dom90

No I would have to get another hob for the 40 also. Right now the 40 has a Fluval 106, 145 GPH on the way from Amazon
Not nearly enough filtration with just one canister

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
No I would have to get another hob for the 40 also. Right now the 40 has a Fluval 106, 145 GPH on the way from Amazon
Not nearly enough filtration with just one canister
Yea that why I'm like is he just going to leave a canister by itself. Just make sure the new Hob fits on the tank rim. Lol.

Dom90

Any idea which hob might fit? Are the AquaClears have bigger area to hook on frame?

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Any idea which hob might fit? Are the AquaClears have bigger area to hook on frame?
Not an idea cause I don't know how thick ur rims is and how much spacing the aquaclears have but if u get a larger model there should be enough space.

Dom90

Yea I will probably try AquaClear 30 or even 50

LeoDiaz

Dom90

Haha yea, it's only like $5 more I think

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Haha yea, it's only like $5 more I think
I would even go as big as the aquaclear 70 to have a total filtration of 445gph.

Dom90

Hmm maybe, but I think canisters only need 5x GPH because of all the filtration in the canister.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Hmm maybe, but I think canisters only need 5x GPH because of all the filtration in the canister.
Who said extra filtration will hurt ur tank. Lol I run almost 10time turnover in my 75 I run 740 gph with a sump style filter.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom