It Begins... 40B African Cichlid Tank - Page 2

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
Ok I see.. but why would I need to get a synodontis in the first place? is what I am confused about.
The question why not there small cute catfish that pic up any leftover food.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
That's true. Do they clean algae too? Can they handle mbuna aggression?
 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
That's true. Do they clean algae too? Can they handle mbuna aggression?
No they don't have a sucker mouth, there african catfish they can handle a mbuna tank I have 8 in my mbuna tank. If you have algae problem u can also get a BN pleco.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
Can a BN pleco handle the high pH of A. cichlid tank, and the mbuna aggression? lol... I read in other forums where BN plecos were killed by mbunas...
 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
Can a BN pleco handle the high pH of A. cichlid tank, and the mbuna aggression? lol... I read in other forums where BN plecos were killed by mbunas...
Yes they can had one in my 55 mbuna tank. The key to making work is get a bn bigger then your fish. So if you have juvies that are 1in you get a 2-3in BN pleco.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
Ok I'll get a BN pleco only when I get algae then.
 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
Ok I'll get a BN pleco only when I get algae then.
That's what I'm doing with my 75mbuna tank I would only get one once algae starts growing which it hasnt. I thingur going to have to learn how to vent your mbunas.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
Dumb question, I shouldnt have much algae if I don't have any plants or no nutrients (liquid ferts) right?
 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
Dumb question, I shouldnt have much algae if I don't have any plants or no nutrients (liquid ferts) right?
If u don't over feed and the light is on schedule u shouldnt that's why my 75 has no algae. Ima have to stop responding lol this whole threat is just me and a few ppl.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
I'm probably only going to run a show LED, since I know mbunas destroy and uproot plants anyway. So there won't be any live plants.

Lol call it mbuna tank consulting
 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
I'm probably only going to run a show LED, since I know mbunas destroy and uproot plants anyway. So there won't be any live plants.
I love the shimmering effect led give makes a tank look way cooler.
 

Geoff

Member
What does venting mean?
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
You stock like 7 or 8 mbunas, and then weed out enough to get the proper male to female ratio.
 

LeoDiaz

Member
Geoff said:
What does venting mean?
Is when you look a fish junk to see if you have a male or female fish basiclly lol. Dom if you getting juvies ill get 10just in case u end up with to many males.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
Yea probably a good idea. Whoa what are royal cichlids? They look beautiful.
 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
Yea probably a good idea. Whoa what are royal cichlids? They look beautiful.
Idk any fish called royal cichlid but there proably peacock cichlid another fish from lake malawi.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
Typed in "royal cichlid" on google and got this:
 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
Typed in "royal cichlid" on google and got this:
Yes those are peacock cichlid males are super colorful but females are dull. They get big 5/6inch. But there more laid back then mbunas and rather peaceful but not all of them.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
Hmm, probably wouldnt work for my tank then.
 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
Hmm, probably wouldnt work for my tank then.
Nope to big they need atleast a 55. My favorite part of setting up a mbuna tank is the aquascaping.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
So we finally assembled the steel rack with two shelves so it acts like a double stand. Now we go and buy a background for both tanks.


 

Geoff

Member
Pictures!
 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
So we finally assembled the steel rack with two shelves so it acts like a double stand. Now we go and buy a background for both tanks.
just paint it uness ur getting a 3d background.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
Yep that's what we're doing. Then I gotta go buy either tomorrow or Wednesday.


 

BDpups

Member
LeoDiaz said:
Is like crushed coral. Not good. Just go with pool filter sand mbuna love and ur wife will love that u just spend $10 on sand instead of $40.
Crushed coral and Aragonite sand are both fine and both help to keep the PH a bit higher. That's why they are suggested for African cichlid tanks. They are not necessary. But both are fine to use.
Dom90 said:
Can a BN pleco handle the high pH of A. cichlid tank, and the mbuna aggression? lol... I read in other forums where BN plecos were killed by mbunas...
How are you raising the PH?
 

LeoDiaz

Member
BDpups said:
Crushed coral and Aragonite sand are both fine and both help to keep the PH a bit higher. That's why they are suggested for African cichlid tanks. They are not necessary. But both are fine to use.

How are you raising the PH?
Some people used it but it doesn't resemble real sand. You will never see a hardcore cichlid keeper use it. He is going to buffer anything he has a good ph out of the tap.
 

BDpups

Member
LeoDiaz said:
Some people used it but it doesn't resemble real sand. You will never see a hardcore cichlid keeper use it. He is going to buffer anything he has a good ph out of the tap.
I've seen more than a few "hardcore" cichlid keeper use it. They are both one substrate that will actually do what it says. Raise the PH. Aragonite sand is, sand. It looks like sand because it is sand. And crushed coral greatly resembles the ruble of the Rift Lakes. Which in why it is commonly used is African Cichlid tanks.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
BDpups said:
How are you raising the PH?
The pH of my tap water is about 8 so I don't really need to buffer it. Just going to use pool filter sand or black diamond sand, or a mix of both most likely.



 

BDpups

Member
Dom90 said:
Can a BN pleco handle the high pH of A. cichlid tank, and the mbuna aggression? lol... I read in other forums where BN plecos were killed by mbunas...
Dom90 said:
The pH of my tap water is about 8 so I don't really need to buffer it. Just going to use pool filter sand or black diamond sand, or a mix of both most likely.
So the PH is no longer a concern for the pleco? And have you tested your water's PH after it has sat out overnight?
 

LeoDiaz

Member
BDpups said:
I've seen more than a few "hardcore" cichlid keeper use it. They are both one substrate that will actually do what it says. Raise the PH. Aragonite sand is, sand. It looks like sand because it is sand. And crushed coral greatly resembles the ruble of the Rift Lakes. Which in why it is commonly used is African Cichlid tanks.
he doesn't really need if his ph is good already Mark I guy ik 40+ tank uses PFS for all his african cichlid tank. He has never used crushed or aragonite because like dom and me he has a good ph out of the tap.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
BDpups said:
So the PH is no longer a concern for the pleco? And have you tested your water's PH after it has sat out overnight?
Yes I tested my pH when I first got the 75 gallon and it's around 8 or so. I will worry about BN pleco when I have an algae problem.


 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
Yes I tested my pH when I first got the 75 gallon and it's around 8 or so. I will worry about BN pleco when I have an algae problem.
Just acclimate them many african cichlid keeper have one in there tank.
 

BDpups

Member
Dom90 said:
Yes I tested my pH when I first got the 75 gallon and it's around 8 or so. I will worry about BN pleco when I have an algae problem.
The pleco will be fine. And in a 40 breeder that you are filling with mbuna, I would not waste valuable tank space on a 6 inch fish that is a huge waste producer. You are the best algae cleaner. Not another fish. I would fill your tank with cichlid if those are what you want. And not worry about catfish.
 

LeoDiaz

Member
BDpups said:
The pleco will be fine. And in a 40 breeder that you are filling with mbuna, I would not waste valuable tank space on a 6 inch fish that is a huge waste producer. You are the best algae cleaner. Not another fish. I would fill your tank with cichlid if those are what you want. And not worry about catfish.
Told him to fill with dwarf but he want only a few that's why I recommended some synos to fill the space the mbunas could have used.
 

BDpups

Member
Dom90 said:
Not bad, but I am wondering if this is cheaper
LeoDiaz said:
Is like crushed coral. Not good. Just go with pool filter sand mbuna love and ur wife will love that u just spend $10 on sand instead of $40.
LeoDiaz said:
he doesn't really need if his ph is good already Mark I guy ik 40+ tank uses PFS for all his african cichlid tank. He has never used crushed or aragonite because like dom and me he has a good ph out of the tap.
@LeoDiaz

You said aragonite sand is like crushed coral. " Not good" is what you said about it.
Pool filter sand, coal slag, inert colored gravel, even bare bottom is fine for a African cichlid tank.

@Dom90
You seem to be getting questionable advice about lots of things. Good luck with your new tank.
 

LeoDiaz

Member
BDpups said:
@LeoDiaz

You said aragonite sand is like crushed coral. " Not good" is what you said about it.
Pool filter sand, coal slag, inert colored gravel, even bare bottom is fine for a African cichlid tank.

@Dom90
You seem to be getting questionable advice about lots of things. Good luck with your new tank.
I seen arogonite at my local petsmart I doest look like regular sand to me unless they cary some other type. U can use whatever u want in you tank but you won't see all the natural behaivor of mbunas with gravel like substrates. A bare bottom will be pretty boring to mbunas they would have anything better to then stir up some trouble. I don't like debating so BD you can take it from here ill be turning notification off from this thread.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member

Geoff


I encountered a problem. I was going to run a Fluval 106 canister with an Aqueon Quietflow 20 on the 40B. But the frame of the tank of the 40 is too big for the HOB to hook onto.


 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
I encountered a problem. I was going to run a Fluval 106 canister with an Aqueon Quietflow 20 on the 40B. But the frame of the tank of the 40 is too big for the HOB to hook onto.
There not much you can unless you cut into the frame but why damage your brand new tank. Your going to need another filter. Can u used the hob for the 29?
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
Yea I probably could and get like another 100 or 150 GPH for the 29 and run two




Somebody was selling used aquarium stuff at a garage sale a year ago a few houses down and I got filter and heater for like $10 lol


 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
Yea I probably could and get like another 100 or 150 GPH for the 29 and run two
So 2 hob for the 29? And just one canister on the 40?
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
No I would have to get another hob for the 40 also. Right now the 40 has a Fluval 106, 145 GPH on the way from Amazon
Not nearly enough filtration with just one canister

 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
No I would have to get another hob for the 40 also. Right now the 40 has a Fluval 106, 145 GPH on the way from Amazon
Not nearly enough filtration with just one canister
Yea that why I'm like is he just going to leave a canister by itself. Just make sure the new Hob fits on the tank rim. Lol.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
Any idea which hob might fit? Are the AquaClears have bigger area to hook on frame?


 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
Any idea which hob might fit? Are the AquaClears have bigger area to hook on frame?
Not an idea cause I don't know how thick ur rims is and how much spacing the aquaclears have but if u get a larger model there should be enough space.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
Yea I will probably try AquaClear 30 or even 50


 

LeoDiaz

Member
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
Haha yea, it's only like $5 more I think


 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
Haha yea, it's only like $5 more I think
I would even go as big as the aquaclear 70 to have a total filtration of 445gph.
 
  • Thread Starter

Dom90

Member
Hmm maybe, but I think canisters only need 5x GPH because of all the filtration in the canister.


 

LeoDiaz

Member
Dom90 said:
Hmm maybe, but I think canisters only need 5x GPH because of all the filtration in the canister.
Who said extra filtration will hurt ur tank. Lol I run almost 10time turnover in my 75 I run 740 gph with a sump style filter.
 

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Log in or register to view

Top Bottom