It Begins... 40B African Cichlid Tank

Dom90

So I grabbed this last night in the nick of time, Petco was closing in 5 minutes!

LeoDiaz

Lol last min shopping.

Dom90

Haha yea... had to get the job done whatever means possible. Doing some Amazon shopping to get filter, heater, and cichlid sand.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Haha yea... had to get the job done whatever means possible. Doing some Amazon shopping to get filter, heater, and cichlid sand.
You going to spend the extra money for "cichlid sand"?

Dom90

Might as well go for broke, I'm spending all this money, a few more bucks won't break the bank

Geoff

Go big or go home.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Might as well go for broke, I'm spending all this money, a few more bucks won't break the bank
Lol go big or go home. I just don't find a point of having to pay $20 or so for each 20pound bag when you can just get one 50 pound bag of PFS or black diamond.

Dom90

Well, all I need is 40 pounds of sand so that's why I bought that on Amazon.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Well, all I need is 40 pounds of sand so that's why I bought that on Amazon.
You might even use less depending if use rockwork or not.

Dom90

Yea I'll probably have to get some rocks as well. Just getting the basics in first. I decided to go with Fluval 106 canister + Aqueon Quietflow 20 for aeration.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Yea I'll probably have to get some rocks as well. Just getting the basics in first. I decided to go with Fluval 106 canister + Aqueon Quietflow 20 for aeration.
Nice you choose to get a canister instead hob.

Dom90

Yea I have a Fluval 406 on the 75 gallon so I stick by Fluval, real good brand and products. I was just gonna get the 206 but I had this HOB lying around, might as well make use of it.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Yea I have a Fluval 406 on the 75 gallon so I stick by Fluval, real good brand and products. I was just gonna get the 206 but I had this HOB lying around, might as well make use of it.
Have you got the stand or your making your own?

Dom90

DIY from Lowes lol...

LeoDiaz

Is that the cichlid sand you got?

Dom90

Yes. For the stand, I plan to stack the 40B and 29 on different shelves, that way water changes are easy. I don't have to drag the hose to two different places.

Anders247

Congrats on the new tank!

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Yes. For the stand, I plan to stack the 40B and 29 on different shelves, that way water changes are easy. I don't have to drag the hose to two different places.
I said crushed coral wasn't as good as sand for a tank. Nvm you do what you want is your tank.

Dom90

!!! I gotta cancel my order then lol. Luckily, the order on Amazon hasnt shipped yet, so I was able to cancel the order.

I was pretty sure the description said "Cichlid sand", I made the order at 6 in the morning lol.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
!!! I gotta cancel my order then lol.

I was pretty sure the description said "Cichlid sand", I made the order at 6 in the morning lol.
Crushed coral is more like gravel then sand. A sand look nicer an more natural I though when u said cichlid sand u meant something like this.

Dom90

Yep that's what i'm looking for, but on Amazon, I have Prime so free 2-day shipping.

MtnTiger

Love me some Amazon Prime free shipping!

Congrats on your new tank.

Dom90

What about this?

LeoDiaz

Here it is the same one u link but in different colors in amazon.com

Dom90

Not bad, but I am wondering if this is cheaper

LeoDiaz

Dom90

Yea you're probably right in that sense lol

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Yea you're probably right in that sense lol
Yea the cheapest and best option lol.

Dom90

So looks like I'll be going back to Lowes to get pool filter sand

Do they make the sand in any other color than white?

LeoDiaz

Dom90

Yea tan would be ok.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Yea tan would be ok.
But finding tan is going to be hard, most store carry normal whiteish sand. This was my 55mbunas tank with PFS

Dom90

You can have Lowes look up inventory of other stores in the area to see which store carries it

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
You can have Lowes look up inventory of other stores in the area to see which store carries it
The issues is that u can't look up tan pool filter sand you just can find fool filter sand and you get what comes in the bag. I personally like black sand because it makes the fish look brighter.

Dom90

LeoDiaz

My nearest tractor supply is 15miles away u just have to drive twice as far. Lol

Dom90

Well, that's one way though, 60-70 miles round trip.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Well, that's one way though, 60-70 miles round trip.
Something you have to get used to I sometimes have to go 50miles away one way just to buy some fish.

Geoff

I drove 65 mI one way to my favorite "L"FS the last two Saturdays.

Dom90

Lol... I'm hoping my search for mbunas doesn't take me that far

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Lol... I'm hoping my search for mbunas doesn't take me that far
Well u got save all money u can cause some mbunas cost around $10-12 or more and you need a bunch. In a 40G breeder you can 10-12 dwarf mbunas 1male to a bunch of females. Lucky guy,lol.

Dom90

Lol... I'm hoping to do a 1:5 ratio at the most.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Lol... I'm hoping to do a 1:5 ratio at the most.
If you do that you can get some synodontis catfish. I like the synodontis lucipinnis

Dom90

I'd rather not have to kill any fry that way.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
I'd rather not have to kill any fry that way.
Kill them how? Runnig out of room? Cause ur going to need some 10gallons around as many as u have females lol.

Dom90

Dont the synodontis catfishes eat cichlid fry? lol

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Dont the synodontis catfishes eat cichlid fry? lol
Yes but you remove the female before she lets her fry go there mouthbrooders.

Dom90

Yes I know they're mouthbrooders, but what does this have to do with synodontis? I'm confused.

LeoDiaz

Dom90 said:
Yes I know they're mouthbrooders, but what does this have to do with synodontis? I'm confused.
Ok let me explain, the syno can eat cichlid fry but how is he going to eat them if there inside the mom mouth? Then you take the mom out and put her in another tank where she can spit(let go her fry).

Dom90

Ok I see.. but why would I need to get a synodontis in the first place? is what I am confused about.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom