It’s The Fuzz!

ComicsPop

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi there,

In my planted Fluval Spec 5, currently housing a single betta, I noticed this brown, hairy stuff growing on the plants and driftwood.

The substrate is the Aquasolum Black Humate.

It comes out with water changes, but I’m curious what it is, and how to keep it at bay.

The piece of wood is the trickiest. Thinking about taking that out and boiling it or something.

Pics are before the Saturday water change (lots of it), and just a few moments ago (Monday night, less of it).

Sorry for the floating dwarf sag! Darn thing keeps popping up after I get it settled!
Image1526344343.550043.jpg

Thanks for your help!

IMG_0450.JPG

ComicsPop

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone, for the feedback! I double-checked my lights and took them down from 6.5 hours to 4.5 hours. I also did a deep clean this weekend - 40% water change, pulled out the plants, rock and driftwood and gave them a good scrub in warm water, and put everything back (after attaching the anubias to the rock and driftwood with a zip tie and push pin).

Hopefully, this will give a nice fresh start and it won't come back too badly.

As far as the snails, I wondering if a mystery snail would be too big in a 5G with a betta. Maybe nerite?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ComicsPop said:
Thanks everyone, for the feedback! I double-checked my lights and took them down from 6.5 hours to 4.5 hours. I also did a deep clean this weekend - 40% water change, pulled out the plants, rock and driftwood and gave them a good scrub in warm water, and put everything back (after attaching the anubias to the rock and driftwood with a zip tie and push pin).

Hopefully, this will give a nice fresh start and it won't come back too badly.

As far as the snails, I wondering if a mystery snail would be too big in a 5G with a betta. Maybe nerite?
Nerite will be better if your betta can tolerate it. Mystery snails get golf ball sized and pretty quickly, most nerite snails barely reach an inch in length.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom